• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General 🔴WARNING 🔴: if you plan to unlock the bootloader & root your device, read this ❗❗❗

Search This thread

m8822

May 6, 2016
If yo u are planning on unlocking the bootloader and rooting, then get either the global version, or Tencent (which is Chinese market version) but it has to be on Chinese ROM so you can unlock the bootloader.
if it is Tencent edition with global ROM, just do not buy it.

the issue faced by most who get Tencent edition with global ROM is that the resellers unlock the bootloader to flash the global ROM & then they relock the bootloader.

ASUS only allows you 1 time unlock.

unlocking for a 2nd time is yet to be successful.

i am facing this issue myself hence i do not wish it to anyone else.

Sir same prob here. Bootloader not unlocking. Any solution for this? PLEASE HELP

If you purchased the device from eBay or Amazon and it is a Tencent version with WW installed, you may want to check that it isn't already unlocked. There are also some sellers that convert the phone and then lock the bootloader again without realizing it is once and done.

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Mate 20 X
ASUS ROG Phone 3
I
If you purchased the device from eBay or Amazon and it is a Tencent version with WW installed, you may want to check that it isn't already unlocked. There are also some sellers that convert the phone and then lock the bootloader again without realizing it is once and done.

What exactly is it that prevents the Tencent version from being re-unlocked? Do you know? Is the unlock tool coded to reject subsequent unlocks on Tencent? When I confirmed with ASUS that I could re-unlock mine after they rolled it back to factory (WW version not TC), the guy told me you can unlock indefinitely, they just register that you've done it over the internet when you use the ASUS tool...

Last edited:
What exactly is it that prevents the Tencent version from being re-unlocked? Do you know? Is the unlock tool coded to reject subsequent unlocks on Tencent? When I confirmed with ASUS that I could re-unlock mine after they rolled it back to factory (WW version not TC), the guy told me you can unlock indefinitely, they just register that you've done it over the internet when you use the ASUS tool...
I honestly don't know if it is some step that is being performed incorrectly or corrupted conversions. I was able to unlock mine again after being sold a converted version, but it also had the original serial and IMEI intact. It could also be a myth left over from the 3.

Reactions: Andrologic

BILLYB187

May 9, 2014
Thats exactly the problem. They only allow the BL to be unlocked one time. It will stay unlocked after that unless you relock it yourself. Once re-locked, you are locked for good.

Unless someone figures out a way around it, and to my knowledge previous ROG devices have had no such luck.

Thats exactly the problem. They only allow the BL to be unlocked one time. It will stay unlocked after that unless you relock it yourself. Once re-locked, you are locked for good.

Unless someone figures out a way around it, and to my knowledge previous ROG devices have had no such luck.
Low-level EDL is supposed to be able to fix that. I don't intend to test it.

歪比歪比

Jun 13, 2021
Try to use "fastboot oem asus-official" to unlock
Source of fastboot instruction:

Try to use "fastboot oem asus-official" to unlock
Source of fastboot instruction:
Welcome to the ROG Phone 5. Don't forget to try out the search feature.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If yo u are planning on unlocking the bootloader and rooting, then get either the global version, or Tencent (which is Chinese market version) but it has to be on Chinese ROM so you can unlock the bootloader.
    if it is Tencent edition with global ROM, just do not buy it.

the issue faced by most who get Tencent edition with global ROM is that the resellers unlock the bootloader to flash the global ROM & then they relock the bootloader.

ASUS only allows you 1 time unlock.

unlocking for a 2nd time is yet to be successful.

i am facing this issue myself hence i do not wish it to anyone else.
    It just doesn't make sense but that could mean the Ultimate edition was a total failure. Good news is that I didn't pull the trigger just yet. I can wait till they sort this out
    Well... Can you really call it a failure when they only released the ultimate in one country officially while it was sold out within a few minutes?

I'm still excited to know what happened. I as well hope they'll address the heat and bend issues and make this one "the new ultimate". I really love that style and prefer it over the default model.

In the end Asus is everything else than transparent. They keep posting Ultimate photos on their social channels weekly and the most asked question is "when does it release" without any answers so we will probably never know.
    I have the global version with global rom, not yet BL-Unlocked and i'd like to know as well before doing it
    Unlock only allowed once even with global. Once relock, can't unlock again.
    I hope it won't become a total failure because new gaming smartphone with better specs are right around the corner.
    So is Asus when we could trust the leaks... Sources Claim they are going to announce a new ROG 5s model on the 16.08.
    If that's really true I cannot think of a valid reason to throw another smartphone on the marked when their previous was such a failure.
    However I really wonder what their goals are... if they killed/stopped the pro edition in order to make this one "more stable" or something?