• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General 🔴WARNING 🔴: if you plan to unlock the bootloader & root your device, read this ❗❗❗

Search This thread
I thought this phone would be really popular among enthusiast but it failed miserably. Unlocking bl is hard from what I'm reading so I guess we won't have custom roms any time soon
It didn't fail. It hasn't fully released. The versions that will attract most people are the Pro and Ultimate. They're not available yet.

Unlocking the bootloader is SUPER easy. The problem is that a lot of people purchased their phones from third-party sellers that couldn't care less if you can unlock it again. All that mattered was getting that WW firmware on the CN device to add $100 to the listing.

Asus is likely trying to keep custom software minimized until they release the other versions, which is why they won't provide any hints on how to make it run. There would be no reason to buy an upgraded model if you could easily get the same performance out of something much cheaper.

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Mate 20 X
ASUS ROG Phone 3
It didn't fail. It hasn't fully released. The versions that will attract most people are the Pro and Ultimate. They're not available yet.

Unlocking the bootloader is SUPER easy. The problem is that a lot of people purchased their phones from third-party sellers that couldn't care less if you can unlock it again. All that mattered was getting that WW firmware on the CN device to add $100 to the listing.

Asus is likely trying to keep custom software minimized until they release the other versions, which is why they won't provide any hints on how to make it run. There would be no reason to buy an upgraded model if you could easily get the same performance out of something much cheaper.

"The versions that will attract most people are the Pro and Ultimate." I doubt those will attract a lot of people but we'll see... In addition to some extra (and heavily priced) memory that only a few will need in the first place, isn't the only difference the backside lcd display and a pair of additional air triggers on the Ultimate?

"The versions that will attract most people are the Pro and Ultimate." I doubt those will attract a lot of people but we'll see... In addition to some extra (and heavily priced) memory that only a few will need in the first place, isn't the only difference the backside lcd display and a pair of additional air triggers on the Ultimate?

Nearly every new member makes a brand new thread to address issues that have been posted since April. A lot of people have tunnel vision. Most of the YouTube videos and reviews focused entirely on the Ultimate version. I would guess some people aren't even aware the base model is the same phone.

To make the comparison easier, all identical details have been dropped. Here are just the differences between models to help when choosing one.

Standard - Rear RGB Dot Matrix Logo
8 GB RAM, 128 GB
12 GB RAM, 256 GB
16 GB RAM, 256 GB

Pro - Rear Color PMOLED Display / Rear Touch Zones
16 GB RAM, 512 GB

Ultimate - Rear Monochrome PMOLED Display / Rear Touch Zones
18 GB RAM, 512 GB

The Pro and Ultimate versions come in a slightly fancier box. The Ultimate will also include an Ultimate Fan Gift set, which includes ROG-themed merchandise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yellowflash99

Yellowflash99

Jul 9, 2015
Xiaomi Redmi 7
ASUS ROG Phone 5

Thanks for your clarifications but imo people just want to buy not the most affordable but the best bang which I think is the 12Gb/128gb version. The difference between the 3 variants is just esthetic not big of a deal. And as of now Asus has failed shipping them in the right time (covid probably). I hope it won't become a total failure because new gaming smartphone with better specs are right around the corner.

Thanks for your clarifications but imo people just want to buy not the most affordable but the best bang which I think is the 12Gb/128gb version. The difference between the 3 variants is just esthetic not big of a deal. And as of now Asus has failed shipping them in the right time (covid probably). I hope it won't become a total failure because new gaming smartphone with better specs are right around the corner.
The best value is the Pro. You get the cooler, the rear touch zones, and 16 / 512. That's a jump of 4 GB RAM over the 12 / 128 and twice the internal storage of any base model. The only aesthetic upgrade was the small back display. The Ultimate, on the other hand, is only adding 2 GB RAM to the Pro. Everything else is aesthetic.

Even at 256, the number of new emulators and games that run smoothly will eat up that storage fast. I wish I had waited for the Pro just for the space.

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
I hope it won't become a total failure because new gaming smartphone with better specs are right around the corner.
So is Asus when we could trust the leaks... Sources Claim they are going to announce a new ROG 5s model on the 16.08.
If that's really true I cannot think of a valid reason to throw another smartphone on the marked when their previous was such a failure.
However I really wonder what their goals are... if they killed/stopped the pro edition in order to make this one "more stable" or something?

Yellowflash99

Jul 9, 2015
Xiaomi Redmi 7
ASUS ROG Phone 5
The best value is the Pro. You get the cooler, the rear touch zones, and 16 / 512. That's a jump of 4 GB RAM over the 12 / 128 and twice the internal storage of any base model. The only aesthetic upgrade was the small back display. The Ultimate, on the other hand, is only adding 2 GB RAM to the Pro. Everything else is aesthetic.

Even at 256, the number of new emulators and games that run smoothly will eat up that storage fast. I wish I had waited for the Pro just for the space.
16gb on a phone is a bit overkill for "me" so 12Gb is plenty fine. Having 512 is a dream. You'll literally never have to check how much free storage you have. Even 256 sounds crazy

Yellowflash99

Jul 9, 2015
Xiaomi Redmi 7
ASUS ROG Phone 5
So is Asus when we could trust the leaks... Sources Claim they are going to announce a new ROG 5s model on the 16.08.
If that's really true I cannot think of a valid reason to throw another smartphone on the marked when their previous was such a failure.
However I really wonder what their goals are... if they killed/stopped the pro edition in order to make this one "more stable" or something?
It just doesn't make sense but that could mean the Ultimate edition was a total failure. Good news is that I didn't pull the trigger just yet. I can wait till they sort this out

16gb on a phone is a bit overkill for "me" so 12Gb is plenty fine. Having 512 is a dream. You'll literally never have to check how much free storage you have. Even 256 sounds crazy

Thought 256 was endless. Got a Note 20 Ultra with 12 / 256 and thought it was such a waste. Got the 16 / 256 ROG Phone 5 because the difference in price was about 100 (or 500 less than Samsung). Now the Note 20 Ultra feels super slow and the ROG Phone 5 has to be cleaned up to add anything new.

Gaming phones are the last ones that should be hopping on the trend of dropping expandable storage.

Last edited:

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
It just doesn't make sense but that could mean the Ultimate edition was a total failure. Good news is that I didn't pull the trigger just yet. I can wait till they sort this out
Well... Can you really call it a failure when they only released the ultimate in one country officially while it was sold out within a few minutes?

I'm still excited to know what happened. I as well hope they'll address the heat and bend issues and make this one "the new ultimate". I really love that style and prefer it over the default model.

In the end Asus is everything else than transparent. They keep posting Ultimate photos on their social channels weekly and the most asked question is "when does it release" without any answers so we will probably never know.

They definitely rushed the release. I guess there was a 4 after all.

What if the S builds are a rebranded Pro / Ultimate with NO changes...

I don't get it. What is more "gamer" than the three tier system?

Untitled-1.png

Last edited:

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Mate 20 X
ASUS ROG Phone 3
So they're bumping up the chipset in 5S? Great idea to throw more power in a device that bleeds battery like a waterfall and gets hot enough to fry eggs on. Maybe it's a stealthy way to fix things without losing face (including the soft frame)?

• Haha
Reactions: aimsjahan

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
[sarcasm]
You can already pre-order it for the best price https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003109231580.html
[/sarcasm]
Hope these won't be the real prices...
US $1,999.00 or US $1,599.00

Seems kinda silly to release an "Ultimate" version on the 888 now.
Yeah - especially if they really had delivery issues with the 888 it might be the best idea to just buy the 888+ chipset instead in case they are not too different.
If those will not be the "Ultimates" and they still tend to release it within the next weeks after the 5s it WILL be a total fail.

Great idea to throw more power in a device that bleeds battery like a waterfall
Do you feel the battery is not strong enough? Just asking because it wins nearly all battery real live tests I saw except against the ROG 3

Last edited:

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Mate 20 X
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Do you feel the battery is not strong enough? Just asking because it wins nearly all battery real live tests I saw except against the ROG 3

Yes I feel so. Not impressive at all considering there is 6K mAH's under the hood . It wins because the competing devices are equally poor. The truth is, in my opinion anyway, that unfortunaely the entire line-up of current flagship gaming devices this year are lousy in one or more ways. Those who don't need a new phone are better off waiting it out...

ROG 3 still comes out on top with battery (it's a better built device all together). My old (but very optimized) Huawei M20X with a 7 inch display and 1000 mAH less battery wipes ROG 5 off the table when it comes to battery life. Sure it has a bit slower chipset and runs Android 9, but the difference is absolutely huge, it does up to 3+ days standby and 1.5-2 days under moderate/active use. The ROG 5 in comparison has a much larger battery pack but is still just a 0.9-1 day phone and that's not even under heavy use and with 5G switched off.

Is it that you truly don't like the device or is your recent experience bleeding into your opinions of the hardware?

It doesn't really benefit anyone, including yourself, to discuss a device you hate for any length of time. It would make more sense to sell it, especially with it recently repaired and verified 100% working.

Edit: I am on day four of standby with 50% remaining, but still get notified of every single message in Signal and Messenger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anubarak16

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
It wins because the competing devices are equally poor
Thank you for your answer (y)

As said I don't have the device yet (still waiting for release :cry: ), I don't want to say you are wrong and I'm no "fanboy" who wants to "protect" Asus. I'm just confused because it's not only compared against this years models but against last years as well and I think an average of 8/9h SOT is very impressive.
I would just like to understand why there is such a gap between your experiences and other tests. As you said you don't messure SOT but general usage, maybe your ROG just drains more in standby?

When you say your Huawei is very optimized: did you try to optimize your ROG as well? (eg what framerate, apps, services etc)

Reactions: twistedumbrella

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Mate 20 X
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Is it that you truly don't like the device or is your recent experience bleeding into your opinions of the hardware?

It doesn't really benefit anyone, including yourself, to discuss a device you hate for any length of time. It would make more sense to sell it, especially with it recently repaired and verified 100% working.

Edit: I am on day four of standby with 50% remaining, but still get notified of every single message in Signal and Messenger.

Don't hate it, don't love it. I'm not going to bother selling it but who knows, would probably just switch to another device and use the ROG5 as a secondary device for home work video calls or something, haven't made the decision yet. People on forums like this see both the positives and negatives and make their own choices. Live with it.

Your device battery life seems to be amazing. Congrats. Did you mention somewhere that you're on wifi only? Maybe not being connected to a phone network has a huge impact.. Interesting...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If yo u are planning on unlocking the bootloader and rooting, then get either the global version, or Tencent (which is Chinese market version) but it has to be on Chinese ROM so you can unlock the bootloader.
    if it is Tencent edition with global ROM, just do not buy it.

the issue faced by most who get Tencent edition with global ROM is that the resellers unlock the bootloader to flash the global ROM & then they relock the bootloader.

ASUS only allows you 1 time unlock.

unlocking for a 2nd time is yet to be successful.

i am facing this issue myself hence i do not wish it to anyone else.
    Well... Can you really call it a failure when they only released the ultimate in one country officially while it was sold out within a few minutes?

I'm still excited to know what happened. I as well hope they'll address the heat and bend issues and make this one "the new ultimate". I really love that style and prefer it over the default model.

In the end Asus is everything else than transparent. They keep posting Ultimate photos on their social channels weekly and the most asked question is "when does it release" without any answers so we will probably never know.
    I have the global version with global rom, not yet BL-Unlocked and i'd like to know as well before doing it
    Unlock only allowed once even with global. Once relock, can't unlock again.
    I hope it won't become a total failure because new gaming smartphone with better specs are right around the corner.