• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General 🔴WARNING 🔴: if you plan to unlock the bootloader & root your device, read this ❗❗❗

Search This thread
Don't hate it, don't love it. I'm not going to bother selling it but who knows, would probably just switch to another device and use the ROG5 as a secondary device for home work video calls or something, haven't made the decision yet. People on forums like this see both the positives and negatives and make their own choices. Live with it.

Your device battery life seems to be amazing. Congrats. Did you mention somewhere that you're on wifi only? Maybe not being connected to a phone network has a huge impact.. Interesting...

It is perfectly fine to give an opinion. There may be questions when it contradicts testing or seems to fall into the worst case scenario every time. I prefer to separate bad luck from PEBCAK, which may be avoidable.

I did mention somewhere that I am primarily on WiFi, but I also have a data plan. It is a well-known fact that WiFi reduces battery usage because there is less searching for networks and disconnects. One of the top tips for reducing battery use is to favor WiFi.

Thanks for your opinions on the device, but I see this forum as a place to overcome the faults. Unlike a review site, we also have the ability to filter out opinions we prefer not to read.

junnelle

Aug 29, 2013
I bought the tencent version one with ww firmware already in it but I was able to unlock the bootloader without issues 🤔

junnelle

Aug 29, 2013
SEA version is Tencent with WW preinstalled. Don't go locking it because you think you beat the system. You'll regret it.
I see. Makes sense cause I bought it from a singapore online store, thanks for the info and no im not relocking it and I dont think ive beaten the system lol not even trying to. But thanks for the reminder

Anubarak16

Oct 24, 2014
ASUS ROG Phone 5
Seems kinda silly to release an "Ultimate" version on the 888 now.
After the reveal of the 5s (pro) I guess they'll drop the ultimate altogether. My last hope was the 5s pro to be the ultimate but I think it was really limited to only a few lucky people.

Fingers crossed they eventually decide to launch these models... At least I think it might be a good idea to earn money and sell phones.

Edit:
Oh damn, they just changed the content of their jp website https://jp.store.asus.com/store/asu...varProductID.5518772400/categoryID.4887373800
Pre-order sales start at 10:00 am on August 17, 2021 | Scheduled to be released on August 31

Last edited:
After the reveal of the 5s (pro) I guess they'll drop the ultimate altogether. My last hope was the 5s pro to be the ultimate but I think it was really limited to only a few lucky people.

Fingers crossed they eventually decide to launch these models... At least I think it might be a good idea to earn money and sell phones.

Edit:
Oh damn, they just changed the content of their jp website https://jp.store.asus.com/store/asu...varProductID.5518772400/categoryID.4887373800
Pre-order sales start at 10:00 am on August 17, 2021 | Scheduled to be released on August 31

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Anubarak16

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If yo u are planning on unlocking the bootloader and rooting, then get either the global version, or Tencent (which is Chinese market version) but it has to be on Chinese ROM so you can unlock the bootloader.
    if it is Tencent edition with global ROM, just do not buy it.

the issue faced by most who get Tencent edition with global ROM is that the resellers unlock the bootloader to flash the global ROM & then they relock the bootloader.

ASUS only allows you 1 time unlock.

unlocking for a 2nd time is yet to be successful.

i am facing this issue myself hence i do not wish it to anyone else.
    It just doesn't make sense but that could mean the Ultimate edition was a total failure. Good news is that I didn't pull the trigger just yet. I can wait till they sort this out
    Well... Can you really call it a failure when they only released the ultimate in one country officially while it was sold out within a few minutes?

I'm still excited to know what happened. I as well hope they'll address the heat and bend issues and make this one "the new ultimate". I really love that style and prefer it over the default model.

In the end Asus is everything else than transparent. They keep posting Ultimate photos on their social channels weekly and the most asked question is "when does it release" without any answers so we will probably never know.
    I have the global version with global rom, not yet BL-Unlocked and i'd like to know as well before doing it
    Unlock only allowed once even with global. Once relock, can't unlock again.
    I hope it won't become a total failure because new gaming smartphone with better specs are right around the corner.
    So is Asus when we could trust the leaks... Sources Claim they are going to announce a new ROG 5s model on the 16.08.
    If that's really true I cannot think of a valid reason to throw another smartphone on the marked when their previous was such a failure.
    However I really wonder what their goals are... if they killed/stopped the pro edition in order to make this one "more stable" or something?