General 🛑❗⚠️ WARNING! Read this before you upgrade to Android 13 Stable!⚠️❗🛑

Search This thread

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
From the Pixel Images page:
1660936653879.png

This applies to ALL Tensor devices, regardless of whether or not you're rooted!

What this means:
Once Android 13 Stable boots, it updates an anti-rollback counter in the device hardware to prevent rolling back the bootloader. This will prevent previous versions of the bootloader from starting.

Why this is a problem: The OTA only updates one slot, then reboots into that slot. It does not update both slots at once. If there is a boot failure at any point in the future, the device may attempt to "recycle" back to the old slot. If this other slot has a previous version of the bootloader, the bootloader will not start, rendering the device a brick.

How do I make sure this doesn't happen to me?
If you updated via OTA, simply sideload the OTA again. Since you are currently on the Android 13 slot, this will overwrite your old Android 12 slot with the new bootloader.
If you have an unlocked bootloader and prefer to update using the factory image, you can flash the bootloader to both slots:
fastboot flash bootloader --slot=all <bootloader image> It's highly recommended you do this BEFORE updating, but if you didn't, do it as soon as possible.

What if I was on the Android 13 Beta? Same as above - the beta did not incorporate the anti-rollback, and the beta bootloaders are still considered "old".

Will the new bootloader prevent me from flashing and running Android 12? The short answer is YES, for now. Contrary to what the warning above says, you CAN flash Android 12 on the Android 13 bootloader, and though it will boot, it will not run properly. See this post.

Last edited:

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
This is such BS. Drama
@blackhawk is entitled to his opinion, just as you are. Remember to keep your conduct civil and respectful:
2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
That would be the scoped storage sucking up resources/battery to make you feel safe...
Android 10 is ok, 11 so-so, 12 sucks and along comes 13 beta. Yeah that'll work.
Blame Gookill for this fubar.
I mean...I've kinda liked A12. But to each his own.

You'd probably rather run command line Linux on your phone, you old bastard lol

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
From the images page:
View attachment 5686529

As yet unknown if this applies to unlocked bootloaders as well, but I would assume so.

That being said, it's generally possible to run older versions of Android on newer bootloaders.
Interesting and probably true but as you say, what about with an unlocked bootloader? We all wait with baited breath as you try it out for us. :) But even though I don't unlock my bootloader this is the instance where I flip the switch to allow OEM unlock just in case. It's why I'll never buy another phone where you can't do this even though I don't. Download just completed so do I sideload the OTA or wait for delivery? I'll give it an hour then sideload.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Interesting and probably true but as you say, what about with an unlocked bootloader? We all wait with baited breath as you try it out for us. :) But even though I don't unlock my bootloader this is the instance where I flip the switch to allow OEM unlock just in case. It's why I'll never buy another phone where you can't do this even though I don't. Download just completed so do I sideload the OTA or wait for delivery? I'll give it an hour then sideload.
I'm actually doing the OTA update right now on my P5 although I've never had much luck with OTAs so we'll see.

The only thing this should change to my knowledge is the ability to roll back the bootloader; if you unlock the bootloader, you can still flash whatever you want to /boot and /system

But....the warning is pretty specific....
1660589497127.png

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I'm actually doing the OTA update right now on my P5 although I've never had much luck with OTAs so we'll see.

The only thing this should change to my knowledge is the ability to roll back the bootloader; if you unlock the bootloader, you can still flash whatever you want to /boot and /system

But....the warning is pretty specific....
View attachment 5686621
Sideload or delivered?

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

Command line makes my head spin🤣
Lol, I like looking at the same graphics, over and over so 12 would hurt on just that account alone.

I'm still running 9 and 10 on my N10+'s. Pie is easier to troubleshoot, more usable with better 3rd party app functionality.
How much the Samsung flavor screws with the core code either positively or negatively is hard for me to say. Upgrades tend to screw up Samsungs anyway so I avoid them out of self preservation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings to all. Ok my friends, let us please stop with the accusations, and the who's right and who's wrong disagreement. You all have exceptionally good knowledge
    of this recent topic, and all we ask is you respectfully disagree with each other, rather than trying to prove who's right or wrong with snarky, or disrespectful comments.

Now please let us return to "On Topic" discussion. Thank you.

-Regards: Badger50
    Good luck with that, and post back either way so that we know how Google takes these.
    If you haven't send it yet, it would be worth running this command and posting it, so that in case it gives us a better insight.
    Code:
     fastboot getvar all
    UPDATE: I sent my phone to google and they accepted my claim and gave me a Brand New Phone since it was still under warranty. I am so relieved that google actually considered the whole eFuse claim.
    You'll want to sideload the full OTA image once you have initially updated to Android 13 via OTA. Here's a good guide for sideloading an OTA for people who are not familiar with how to do it or have never done it before. You'll want to sideload the full OTA image. I hope you can translate the guide well.
    Thank you very much for the help and the links! I think I'll be able to get by with the translation, thanks again!
    But I've never claimed to know the truth. Only calling out those who are claiming absolute knowledge, without any authoritative support. There's a big difference between stating an opinion, and claiming a fact.
    It's an open forum, and everybody is entitled to their views and opinions, even if they're not authoritative truth.
    Just like any news / gossip / talk ... you take what's good and you ignore what's bad or what doesn't interest you.
    No way you can win by battling every poster you disagree with (justifiably or otherwise).
    I do however understand the argument you're trying to make - that replacing the board shouldn't be necessary provided they reflash the updated bootloader, and I think you're right in that regard.

At the end of the day there's a lot of unknowns. We don't know exactly how Google fixed the brick, we don't know whether they opened the device, we don't know whether they reflashed the board or simply replaced it.
    @mike.s
    I think that sums it up pretty well.

There are a lot of unknowns, and asking proof or evidence goes both ways in the argument, you don't have proof or evidence either.

Let's remain calm and civil, we want to help each other, not knock each other down.
    From the Pixel Images page:
    1660936653879.png

This applies to ALL Tensor devices, regardless of whether or not you're rooted!

What this means:
    Once Android 13 Stable boots, it updates an anti-rollback counter in the device hardware to prevent rolling back the bootloader. This will prevent previous versions of the bootloader from starting.

Why this is a problem: The OTA only updates one slot, then reboots into that slot. It does not update both slots at once. If there is a boot failure at any point in the future, the device may attempt to "recycle" back to the old slot. If this other slot has a previous version of the bootloader, the bootloader will not start, rendering the device a brick.

How do I make sure this doesn't happen to me?
    If you updated via OTA, simply sideload the OTA again. Since you are currently on the Android 13 slot, this will overwrite your old Android 12 slot with the new bootloader.
    If you have an unlocked bootloader and prefer to update using the factory image, you can flash the bootloader to both slots:
    fastboot flash bootloader --slot=all <bootloader image> It's highly recommended you do this BEFORE updating, but if you didn't, do it as soon as possible.

What if I was on the Android 13 Beta? Same as above - the beta did not incorporate the anti-rollback, and the beta bootloaders are still considered "old".

Will the new bootloader prevent me from flashing and running Android 12? The short answer is YES, for now. Contrary to what the warning above says, you CAN flash Android 12 on the Android 13 bootloader, and though it will boot, it will not run properly. See this post.
    That would be the scoped storage sucking up resources/battery to make you feel safe...
    Android 10 is ok, 11 so-so, 12 sucks and along comes 13 beta. Yeah that'll work.
    Blame Gookill for this fubar.

1000% fake comment.
    This is such BS. Drama
    @blackhawk is entitled to his opinion, just as you are. Remember to keep your conduct civil and respectful:
    2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.