General 🛑❗⚠️ WARNING! Read this before you upgrade to Android 13 Stable!⚠️❗🛑

Search This thread

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nope. When you're on the bootloader screen, it shows the version, and it was definitely bluejay-1.2-8893284
There is a big difference between bootloader and boot (kernel).
This.

Every factory package contains a boot.img; the name of this image never changes. You can download the oldest factory image you can find for the OG Pixel, and it'll still be named boot.img. So, it would be very easy to mix up an old one with a new one.

If you want, you can rename the image right after extracting it to include the build number or "boot august.img" or something. The device won't care what the name of the image is.

mike.s

Apr 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
There is a big difference between bootloader and boot (kernel).
Doh. Not sure if there's even a version associated with boot, or how to find it. I still have the patched one which was giving me trouble.

But, the boot still failed even after doing a full flash-all install of the factory image from a fresh archive, which would (should) have flashed the unpatched boot.

And, I'll point out that the other slot had the v12 bootloader on it the whole time, and I didn't brick.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Doh. Not sure if there's even a version associated with boot, or how to find it. I still have the patched one which was giving me trouble.
Side by side, there's no way to tell.
But, the boot still failed even after doing a full flash-all install of the factory image from a fresh archive, which would (should) have flashed the unpatched boot.
Yeah, flashing the factory image doesn't seem to make the bootloader happy again once it's in EIO mode. Sideloading the OTA seems to work though.
And, I'll point out that the other slot had the v12 bootloader on it the whole time, and I didn't brick.
Probably because Android 13 never booted. It seems the anti-rollback is officially activated once Android 13 boots.

mike.s

Apr 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6a
flashing the factory image doesn't seem to make the bootloader happy again once it's in EIO mode.
EIO is new to me, never run into it before. When I look it up, Google says you're supposed to be able to continue the boot process by clicking Continue(? - power button) within 30 seconds. BTDT, just went back to the bootloader (or maybe that's when it went to the black Google screen and hung, even after a wipe).

Whatever. I probably screwed it up to begin with. Wish there was some way to take a real backup of everything, like dd'ing the writeable partitions. Perhaps there is, but I've never seen it documented. PITA to have to reconfigure most/all the apps.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I've learned something.

Reactions: V0latyle

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
Make.no mistake, it WILL PERMA-BRICK your phone.

One you successfully boot into A13 it triggers the anti-roll back to advance. So it's destructive and very permanent once the e-fuse blows...that's why they're calling it a fuse...cuz you can't un-blow a fuse after it's blown. One dev already found out the hard way...even the usb port is dead!

Now...my 2 cents. Imo...

That's soo wrong of Google. They have NO right...NONE!, to permanently brick someone's 'bought & paid for computer' or phone!! They can do whatever they want with their software...even ERASE it! But rendering your phone absolutely useless is nothing short of willful destruction of personal property...in the eyes o the law even. They may own their software but they do NOT own my $600+ phone that I paid cash for! End of story. 🤬🤬

OP should change thread title to include 'can brick' or'WILL brick' if you've already booted into A13 (non-beta) and you flash back and try to boot A12.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: lebigmac

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
How could they do this to us? Protect us from a security flaw, really? And then there's... Hey Google how about fixing the security flaw already, it's been weeks now. You just can't win.

Very poor update plan is what is at fault here. Want to bump the anti-bootloader-rollback flag, go ahead, but make damned sure that the updated bootloader is written into BOTH slots before allowing the flag to be incremented, and make sure that there is some mechanism in place to prevent an older bootloader from ever being written.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Very poor update plan is what is at fault here. Want to bump the anti-bootloader-rollback flag, go ahead, but make damned sure that the updated bootloader is written into BOTH slots before allowing the flag to be incremented, and make sure that there is some mechanism in place to prevent an older bootloader from ever being written.
Agree. Poor rollout in general. That bl unlock needed a factory reset is ridiculous.

Reactions: kkjb

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+

How could they do this to us? Protect us from a security flaw, really? And then there's... Hey Google how about fixing the security flaw already, it's been weeks now. You just can't win.
Necessary like scoped storage?
Now Google bricks your phone to protect you too?
Outstanding.

Logcat has been googled too, apparently.
Never can have enough popups...

Reactions: V0latyle

Ericarthurc

Jul 28, 2013
Running on 13 strong with unlock bootloader, Magisk and Despair Kernel

I just flashed the latest A13 factory image with the '-w' flag removed; let it boot into Android. Moved the A13 boot.img to the device, patched it with Magisk, moved it back and flashed on the bootloader. Then installed Despair with FKM. No issues, running great.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Make.no mistake, it WILL PERMA-BRICK your phone.

One you successfully boot into A13 it triggers the anti-roll back to advance. So it's destructive and very permanent once the e-fuse blows...that's why they're calling it a fuse...cuz you can't un-blow a fuse after it's blown. One dev already found out the hard way...even the usb port is dead!

Now...my 2 cents. Imo...

That's soo wrong of Google. They have NO right...NONE!, to permanently brick someone's 'bought & paid for computer' or phone!! They can do whatever they want with their software...even ERASE it! But rendering your phone absolutely useless is nothing short of willful destruction of personal property...in the eyes o the law even. They may own their software but they do NOT own my $600+ phone that I paid cash for! End of story. 🤬🤬

OP should change thread title to include 'can brick' or'WILL brick' if you've already booted into A13 (non-beta) and you flash back and try to boot A12.
The only case where we know someone's device has been bricked because of the bootloader was a GrapheneOS developer. And, we have already established that not only is it possible to successfully flash the Android 12 system on the 13 bootloader, it will boot and function normally, too.

As far as ethics and rights...Google is continuing to support their product the best they can, and how they do so is their own prerogative. They have not intentionally disabled or bricked anyone's device, and in fact went to lengths to warn people that there is risk involved. I would be careful about the assumptions you make. While "right to repair" is indeed an ongoing controversy, there is no legal basis for your claims.

Agree. Poor rollout in general. That bl unlock needed a factory reset is ridiculous.
This has always been the case, and it's intended to protect user data. If unlocking the bootloader did not wipe data, then an attacker could use that as a vector - unlock the device, flash or boot a compromised image, and use it to access anything on the device.

Last edited:

CertifiedBlyndGuy

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2014
Denver
OnePlus 9 Pro
I appreciate knowing a little as to why a rollback to the old bootloader has been prevented but it still seems quite unnecessary. Unless the device is unlocked there wouldn't have been a way to restore the old bootloader anyway. And, if a device is unlocked, well, you're already insecure to an extent if someone gets their hands on your phone.

Instead of attaining security, now we have a bunch of bootlooping Pixels.

So much is done and given up in the name of security anymore that it's just peculiar to me. Hardening is great to an extent but there comes a level where it feels counterintuitive and obsessive. But let's keep making things harder on ourselves for an incident that one day may or may not even happen at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings to all. Ok my friends, let us please stop with the accusations, and the who's right and who's wrong disagreement. You all have exceptionally good knowledge
    of this recent topic, and all we ask is you respectfully disagree with each other, rather than trying to prove who's right or wrong with snarky, or disrespectful comments.

Now please let us return to "On Topic" discussion. Thank you.

-Regards: Badger50
    You'll want to sideload the full OTA image once you have initially updated to Android 13 via OTA. Here's a good guide for sideloading an OTA for people who are not familiar with how to do it or have never done it before. You'll want to sideload the full OTA image. I hope you can translate the guide well.
    Thank you very much for the help and the links! I think I'll be able to get by with the translation, thanks again!
    But I've never claimed to know the truth. Only calling out those who are claiming absolute knowledge, without any authoritative support. There's a big difference between stating an opinion, and claiming a fact.
    It's an open forum, and everybody is entitled to their views and opinions, even if they're not authoritative truth.
    Just like any news / gossip / talk ... you take what's good and you ignore what's bad or what doesn't interest you.
    No way you can win by battling every poster you disagree with (justifiably or otherwise).
    I do however understand the argument you're trying to make - that replacing the board shouldn't be necessary provided they reflash the updated bootloader, and I think you're right in that regard.

At the end of the day there's a lot of unknowns. We don't know exactly how Google fixed the brick, we don't know whether they opened the device, we don't know whether they reflashed the board or simply replaced it.
    @mike.s
    I think that sums it up pretty well.

There are a lot of unknowns, and asking proof or evidence goes both ways in the argument, you don't have proof or evidence either.

Let's remain calm and civil, we want to help each other, not knock each other down.
    I'm a bit confused about the procedure for some of the steps, see if someone can help me.

Once updated to A13 via OTA, I download the OTA again (from the mobile or from the pc?) but.... In what directory should it be for it to recognise it when I use the ADB command? should it be on the mobile or on the pc? Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience, I don't speak English so it makes it even more difficult for me to follow the steps.
    You'll want to sideload the full OTA image once you have initially updated to Android 13 via OTA. Here's a good guide for sideloading an OTA for people who are not familiar with how to do it or have never done it before. You'll want to sideload the full OTA image. I hope you can translate the guide well.
    From the Pixel Images page:
    1660936653879.png

This applies to ALL Tensor devices, regardless of whether or not you're rooted!

What this means:
    Once Android 13 Stable boots, it updates an anti-rollback counter in the device hardware to prevent rolling back the bootloader. This will prevent previous versions of the bootloader from starting.

Why this is a problem: The OTA only updates one slot, then reboots into that slot. It does not update both slots at once. If there is a boot failure at any point in the future, the device may attempt to "recycle" back to the old slot. If this other slot has a previous version of the bootloader, the bootloader will not start, rendering the device a brick.

How do I make sure this doesn't happen to me?
    If you updated via OTA, simply sideload the OTA again. Since you are currently on the Android 13 slot, this will overwrite your old Android 12 slot with the new bootloader.
    If you have an unlocked bootloader and prefer to update using the factory image, you can flash the bootloader to both slots:
    fastboot flash bootloader --slot=all <bootloader image> It's highly recommended you do this BEFORE updating, but if you didn't, do it as soon as possible.

What if I was on the Android 13 Beta? Same as above - the beta did not incorporate the anti-rollback, and the beta bootloaders are still considered "old".

Will the new bootloader prevent me from flashing and running Android 12? The short answer is YES, for now. Contrary to what the warning above says, you CAN flash Android 12 on the Android 13 bootloader, and though it will boot, it will not run properly. See this post.

How do I check my current bootloader version?
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader #Reboots device to bootloader.

fastboot getvar current-slot #Outputs current slot, should also be visible on the device screen: "Boot slot"

fastboot getvar version-bootloader #Outputs current slot's bootloader version, should also be visible on device screen "Bootloader version" 

fastboot --set-active=a or b (set to inactive slot) #Use this to switch to the inactive slot - if current slot is A, set to B or vice versa.

fastboot getvar current-slot

fastboot getvar version-bootloader

fastboot --set -active=a or b (set to original slot) #Set active slot back to what it was before.  If you started on slot A, make sure you switch back to slot A.

fastboot getvar current-slot

fastboot continue #Commands device to resume boot, same function as selecting "Start" in the bootloader menu.
    That would be the scoped storage sucking up resources/battery to make you feel safe...
    Android 10 is ok, 11 so-so, 12 sucks and along comes 13 beta. Yeah that'll work.
    Blame Gookill for this fubar.
    I mean...I've kinda liked A12. But to each his own.

You'd probably rather run command line Linux on your phone, you old bastard lol
    1000% fake comment.
    This is such BS. Drama
    @blackhawk is entitled to his opinion, just as you are. Remember to keep your conduct civil and respectful:
    2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.