General 🛑❗⚠️ WARNING! Read this before you upgrade to Android 13 Stable!⚠️❗🛑

Search This thread

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hi Guys ,just receive P6 today and updated to a13..and how sideload to 2 slot?no root
When you sideload the OTA, it updates the "other" slot, regardless of which slot you're on. So, if you're on slot A, sideloading the OTA will update slot B, and reboot to that slot when finished. Likewise, if you're already on slot B, sideloading the OTA will update slot A. Does this make sense?

You don't have to be rooted to sideload the OTA.

roshan2989

Apr 10, 2012
Purgatory
When you sideload the OTA, it updates the "other" slot, regardless of which slot you're on. So, if you're on slot A, sideloading the OTA will update slot B, and reboot to that slot when finished. Likewise, if you're already on slot B, sideloading the OTA will update slot A. Does this make sense?

You don't have to be rooted to sideload the OTA.
Thanks for the guide, came from Xiaomi.
one last question, currently using japan version, is there any region specific OTA image to flash or just this one site for everything (https://developers.google.com/android/ota)

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the guide, came from Xiaomi.
one last question, currently using japan version, is there any region specific OTA image to flash or just this one site for everything (https://developers.google.com/android/ota)
All the Pixel images are on that site (and the factory images here). Most of the time, the images are "one size fits all", appropriate for all variants. The images will be labelled appropriately if there are differences between carriers/regions:
1662554027851.png

As you can see, these are all the July 2022 update, but there are several different versions for where the device is being used. You can't really go wrong by using the vanilla "global" variant (in this case, the 220705.003 and 220705.004) but if you see your region/carrier listed, you should generally use that version because the baseband firmware is generally best suited to your circumstances.

However, for the Android 13 update, there have been no carrier specific variants:
1662554214312.png

And, the only Japan specific firmware I see for any of these phones is the 6a "bluejay":
1662554280592.png

Reactions: roshan2989

roshan2989

Apr 10, 2012
Purgatory
All the Pixel images are on that site (and the factory images here). Most of the time, the images are "one size fits all", appropriate for all variants. The images will be labelled appropriately if there are differences between carriers/regions:
View attachment 5706249
As you can see, these are all the July 2022 update, but there are several different versions for where the device is being used. You can't really go wrong by using the vanilla "global" variant (in this case, the 220705.003 and 220705.004) but if you see your region/carrier listed, you should generally use that version because the baseband firmware is generally best suited to your circumstances.

However, for the Android 13 update, there have been no carrier specific variants:
View attachment 5706253

And, the only Japan specific firmware I see for any of these phones is the 6a "bluejay":
View attachment 5706255
Thanks bro,just flash the build and booted
is there any way to check if the both slot bootloader updated?

able to check one for now
C:\ADB>fastboot getvar current-slot
current-slot: b
Finished. Total time: 0.001s

C:\ADB>fastboot getvar version-bootloader
version-bootloader: slider-1.2-8739948
Finished. Total time: 0.002s

cant check another, since its locked

C:\ADB>fastboot --set-active=a
Setting current slot to 'a' FAILED (remote: 'command (set_active:) is not allowed when locked')
fastboot: error: Command failed.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Thanks bro,just flash the build and booted
is there any way to check if the both slot bootloader updated?

able to check one for now
C:\ADB>fastboot getvar current-slot

C:\ADB>fastboot getvar version-bootloader

cant check another, since its locked

C:\ADB>fastboot --set-active=a
Setting current slot to 'a' FAILED (remote: 'command (set_active:) is not allowed when locked')
fastboot: error: Command failed.
Yeah, you can't change slots manually with a locked bootloader.

Simply sideload the OTA again, it will always flash the "other" slot.

Example: You're running on slot B, and sideload the OTA. The OTA flashes to slot A, then reboots to slot A. If you sideload the OTA again, it will now flash to slot B, then reboot to slot B.

happynexuss

May 23, 2011
I had a weird upgrade path and I just want to confirm I'm safe :) I tried OTA update and that seemed to crash my phone so I had to do a factory reset. Then I sideloaded Android 13 and got root again. I'm not 100% sure if both my slots are Android 13 or not and would like some confirmation. I tried a method someone posted earlier and my results are below, can you all let me know if I'm safe?

C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\platform-tools>fastboot getvar current-slot
current-slot: a

C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\platform-tools>fastboot getvar version-bootloader

C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\platform-tools>fastboot --set-active=b
Setting current slot to 'b' OKAY [ 0.101s]
Finished. Total time: 0.102s

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I had a weird upgrade path and I just want to confirm I'm safe :) I tried OTA update and that seemed to crash my phone so I had to do a factory reset. Then I sideloaded Android 13 and got root again. I'm not 100% sure if both my slots are Android 13 or not and would like some confirmation. I tried a method someone posted earlier and my results are below, can you all let me know if I'm safe?

If you want to make sure, simply open the factory update package and compare the bootloader version to what you posted above.

Reactions: happynexuss

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P

Yep, you're all set. A13 bootloader on both slots 👍

Reactions: happynexuss

happynexuss

May 23, 2011
lol my dumb luck :) I was cursing at having to factory reset but that seems to have prevented something even worse from happening so I'm smiling about it now. Thank you for confirming Lughnasadh!

Reactions: Lughnasadh

x3sed

Jun 19, 2012
Marrakech
Hello guys ! Since there was 2 Android 13 OTA updates, do we still need to sideload please ?

The first OTA installed the Android 13 upgrade which I did and I got a message afterward to install the new Android 13 update (done too).

(I'm pretty sure it's a dumb question, sorry)

Last edited:

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Hello guys ! Since there was 2 Android 13 OTA updates, do we still need to sideload please ?

The first OTA installed the Android 13 upgrade which I did and I got a message afterward to install the new Android 13 update (done too).

I would still check both slots for the new bootloader to be safe, but I don't remember off the top of my head the commands to do that.

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I would still check both slots for the new bootloader to be safe, but I don't remember off the top of my head the commands to do that.

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot getvar current-slot

fastboot getvar version-bootloader

fastboot --set-active=a or b (set to inactive slot)

fastboot --set -active=a or b (set to original slot)

fastboot reboot bootloader

fastboot reboot

(There are a couple of redundancies in there just as a failsafe)

P.S. You'll need to have an unlocked bootloader to switch/set slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: x3sed and V0latyle

mrwattz405

Apr 1, 2012
Oklahoma
Google Pixel 6
Is this still a current issue? I just got my p6 from at&t and phone says in 2 days it will install automatically. I don't want my phone to be a paperweight and I don't have access to a computer and adb like I used to since the Nexus days.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Is this still a current issue? I just got my p6 from at&t and phone says in 2 days it will install automatically. I don't want my phone to be a paperweight and I don't have access to a computer and adb like I used to since the Nexus days.
This issue is relevant to all Pixel 6 devices upgrading from Android 12 to Android 13. It's not likely that your device will brick - but in the off chance that the update fails for whatever reason, and you still have an Android 12 bootloader on one of the slots, it might.

kjeasan

Apr 28, 2013
Dhaka
Hi,my pixel 6 build is TP1A.220905.004. SO do i have to sideload same TP1A.220905.004 OTA.zip build again on my device ?

Last edited:

thermomonkey

May 26, 2011
Morning all. Would also like to know if I still need to do this with the latest OTA update. I keep telling my phone I don't want to upgrade but it keeps annoying me; it really wants me to upgrade to 13!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Second try also resulted in failed/aborted sideload operation. Guess I'll continue without slot B.
    Make sure your Platform Tools are up to date. Try using an A to C cable using USB 2.0 port.
    Make sure your Platform Tools are up to date. Try using an A to C cable using USB 2.0 port.
    Good advise Lughnasadh. My platform tools are definitely older. I'll wait to post next attempt until I get that cable. I did switch a different C to C cable while changing from the front to back panel.
    I updated my platform tools. Used a USB A to C cable from my PC's USB 2.0 backpanel port.

The "Update package verification" took 4567.4 seconds = 1hour 16minutes. A boolean zero means false while a number one means true. No errors were reported, but the final message on the phone was: "Install from ADB completed with status 0." I am correct in guessing that 'status 0' means that the ADB sideload install was successful?
    You should be good.
    OTA sideload should only take 5 min or so. Sounds like a bad cable to me although there's the possibility of a dirty USB connector on your phone...
    ***Note: THIS IS NOT A ROOT GUIDE. For updating and root instructions, check out my guide here.***

From the Pixel Images page:
    1668631439637.png

This applies to ALL Tensor devices, regardless of whether or not you're rooted!

What this means:
    Once Android 13 Stable boots, it updates an anti-rollback counter in the device hardware to prevent rolling back the bootloader. This will prevent previous versions of the bootloader from starting.

Why this is a problem: The OTA only updates one slot, then reboots into that slot. It does not update both slots at once. If there is a boot failure after updating to Android 13, the device may attempt to "recycle" back to the old slot. If this other slot has a previous version of the bootloader, the bootloader will not start, rendering the device a brick.

How do I make sure this doesn't happen to me?
    If you updated via OTA, simply sideload the OTA again. Since you are currently on the Android 13 slot, this will overwrite your old Android 12 slot with the new bootloader.
    If you have an unlocked bootloader and prefer to update using the factory image, you can flash the bootloader to both slots:
    fastboot flash bootloader --slot=all <bootloader image> It's highly recommended you do this BEFORE updating, but if you didn't, do it as soon as possible.

I've updated several times since the August 2022 update, am I still at risk?
    If you've updated via OTA at least once since August, you should be fine. Instructions to check bootloader versions are further down this post.

What if I was on the Android 13 Beta? Same as above - the beta did not incorporate the anti-rollback, and the beta bootloaders are still considered "old".

Will the new bootloader prevent me from flashing and running Android 12? The short answer is YES, for now. Contrary to what the warning above says, you CAN flash Android 12 on the Android 13 bootloader, and though it will boot, it will not run properly. See this post.

How do I check my current bootloader version?
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader #Reboots device to bootloader.

fastboot getvar current-slot #Outputs current slot, should also be visible on the device screen: "Boot slot"

fastboot getvar version-bootloader #Outputs current slot's bootloader version, should also be visible on device screen "Bootloader version"

fastboot --set-active=a or b (set to inactive slot) #Use this to switch to the inactive slot - if current slot is A, set to B or vice versa.

fastboot --set -active=a or b (set to original slot) #Set active slot back to what it was before.  If you started on slot A, make sure you switch back to slot A.

fastboot continue #Commands device to resume boot, same function as selecting "Start" in the bootloader menu.
    Hi,my pixel 6 build is TP1A.220905.004. SO do i have to sideload same TP1A.220905.004 OTA.zip build again on my device ?
    If you updated via OTA in August, then you should be fine.

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot --set-active=a or b (set to inactive slot)

fastboot --set -active=a or b (set to original slot)

fastboot reboot bootloader

fastboot reboot

(There are a couple of redundancies in there just as a failsafe)

P.S. You'll need to have an unlocked bootloader to switch/set slots.

I updated with OTA and later sideloaded the update, but my bootloader is unlocked. I'm screwed?
    No. That's is the recommended method according to Google.

"To avoid hitting this state, if you are flashing a Pixel 6, Pixel 6a, or Pixel 6 Pro device with an Android 13 build for the first time, please flash the bootloader partition to the inactive slot after successfully updating and booting into Android 13 at least once. This can be done by following these steps:

Option 1 (recommended): After a successful boot into Android 13 for the first time, sideload the full OTA image corresponding to that build and reboot the device to ensure that both slots have a bootable image
    ."