• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Watch Face Studio - can't connect (Galaxy Watch 4 LTE)

Search This thread

cm2003

Hi there.

Did anyone try the Watch Face Studio already?
I've created my first WatchFace and I'd like to transfer it to my watch. But I just can't get it to connect.

You seem to have to choices:
Using Wifi or Bluetooth.
For Wifi I've enabled ADB over Wifi on the watch. It shows the IP, but I can't connect from within the app. It simply doesn't seem to find it.
Connecting to it through ADB (adb connect IP) does work.

For Bluetooth I've enabled ADB over Bluetooth on the watch. I've connected my phone (Oneplus 9 pro) to my PC with USB Debugging active. According to the instructions I should enable Bluetooth debugging within the app, but I can't find it anywhere :(
My phone shows up within the Watch Face Studio, but when clicking it, below warning is coming up:

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your help already!

BR
André

Attachments

• 1629927167300.png
    1629927167300.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 167

TheIntruder

Jun 8, 2010
West Yorkshire
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Hi there.

Did anyone try the Watch Face Studio already?
I've created my first WatchFace and I'd like to transfer it to my watch. But I just can't get it to connect.

You seem to have to choices:
Using Wifi or Bluetooth.
For Wifi I've enabled ADB over Wifi on the watch. It shows the IP, but I can't connect from within the app. It simply doesn't seem to find it.
Connecting to it through ADB (adb connect IP) does work.

For Bluetooth I've enabled ADB over Bluetooth on the watch. I've connected my phone (Oneplus 9 pro) to my PC with USB Debugging active. According to the instructions I should enable Bluetooth debugging within the app, but I can't find it anywhere :(
My phone shows up within the Watch Face Studio, but when clicking it, below warning is coming up:

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your help already!

BR
André
Isn't it for Tizen only, I was looking the other day and read something about it..

cm2003

Isn't it for Tizen only, I was looking the other day and read something about it..
No:
Watch Face Studio is a graphic authoring tool that enables you to create watch faces for the Wear OS smartwatch ecosystem. This includes watches like the Galaxy Watch4, which runs Wear OS Powered by Samsung.

I've also build the app and created a apks, extracted the apk and installed it to watch (using adb). But that's a lot of steps and work to test a change :)

Reactions: TheIntruder

JohnnySilverhand

Aug 28, 2021
Hi everybody !
I had the same problem with the connexion of my Galaxy Watch 4 and I find THE solution.

You can easily resolve this problem with these steps:
- Activate developper mode in your Watch 4 : Settings / About and click 7 times on build number
- Check these following options on the Watch 4 : "ADB debug" and "WiFi debug" (you have to be connected to the same wifi network on your smartwatch AND your computer)
- Install Android Studio here
- Open a new project on the app and go to File / Settings / System settings / Android SDK and check Android 11 for installation
- Then, open the Terminal (Alt + F12 or in the Search bar) and enter these lines :
1/ cd C:\Users\"NameOfYourPC\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools
2/ adb connect 192.168.1.X:5555 (you can verify the IP address of your Watch 4 in General / WiFi)
After all of these steps, and if you are lucky :) , you should see appear the open dialog on your Watch 4 "Allow debbuging".

If my explanations are not clear, you can watch this video tutorial on Youtube

PS : Sorry for my bad language :p

Attachments

• 20210829_004813.jpg
    20210829_004813.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 190
Reactions: cm2003 and adfree

theston.e.fox

Sep 5, 2021
No:
Watch Face Studio is a graphic authoring tool that enables you to create watch faces for the Wear OS smartwatch ecosystem. This includes watches like the Galaxy Watch4, which runs Wear OS Powered by Samsung.

I've also build the app and created a apks, extracted the apk and installed it to watch (using adb). But that's a lot of steps and work to test a change :)
How did you get it to manually build to the watch?

I cannot get it working via their Run On Device interface either, but when I do a build, I get the aab file, I then ran that through bundletool to get the apks, but inside there I only have base files for each apk and that wont install to the device

theston.e.fox

Sep 5, 2021
The step that seems to be missing is it says on the phone enable "debugging over bluetooth" but that seems to be within the wearos companion app, and the galaxy watch 4 doesn't use the wearos companion app, instead it uses the samsung galaxy wear app which has no such setting.

theston.e.fox

Sep 5, 2021
I wrote a tutorial explaining how i connected Watch Face studio with my Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 here.
Hope it helped.
thanks for the link

I managed to get it connected in the end, but I cant get many of the features to work, like I want a watch face that shows my heart rate and other things like that but they don't seem to work on the watch face studio

did you have much luck with those features?

PotsyKay

Mar 1, 2009
ladypinkilicious.com
Android Wear
thanks for the link

I managed to get it connected in the end, but I cant get many of the features to work, like I want a watch face that shows my heart rate and other things like that but they don't seem to work on the watch face studio

did you have much luck with those features?
Yes, same! Many features are missing but heart rate works, as well as step count. Be sure to put the right tag! And once you send your watch face on your watch, there will be a notification like "allow your theme to have access to the sensor data related to vital signs" and you tape yes

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    49.5 KB · Views: 88

theston.e.fox

Sep 5, 2021
Yes, same! Many features are missing but heart rate works, as well as step count. Be sure to put the right tag! And once you send your watch face on your watch, there will be a notification like "allow your theme to have access to the sensor data related to vital signs" and you tape yes
thanks for the screenshot, super helpful!

theston.e.fox

Sep 5, 2021
Oh I just realised that these tags don't read the heart rate continuously, just show the last heartrate reading so you cannot display the continuous heart rate.

Maybe that is just a limitation of Watch Face Studio, the default Galaxy Watch 4 watch faces show the continuous heart rate, but I bet they're not built with watch face studio :)

PotsyKay

Mar 1, 2009
ladypinkilicious.com
Android Wear
Oh I just realised that these tags don't read the heart rate continuously, just show the last heartrate reading so you cannot display the continuous heart rate.

Maybe that is just a limitation of Watch Face Studio, the default Galaxy Watch 4 watch faces show the continuous heart rate, but I bet they're not built with watch face studio :)
Did you check if the heart rate is enable continuously in health app settings?

theston.e.fox

Sep 5, 2021
Yes, I use the samsung health app and it monitors continuously

I can see it update continuously on the default watch face, but not when I use the

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Hijacking this Thread.
:alien: :devilish:

Somebody have time to check if it is possible to use WF to change CSC?

Code:
com.samsung.android.cidmanager.preconfig.PreconfigActivity

?

Thanx in advance.

Best Regards

aldoru

Sep 30, 2021
I wrote a tutorial explaining how i connected Watch Face studio with my Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 here.
Hope it helped.
adb connect gives "failed to authenticate" information. There was a hint we need to connect a phone to the computer via USB... but it does not have USB ... Finally worked ;) after connecting it is needed to accept all debuging on the watch. Now it works ! thanks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try temporarily turning off your firewall to connect.
    Hi everybody !
    I had the same problem with the connexion of my Galaxy Watch 4 and I find THE solution.

You can easily resolve this problem with these steps:
    - Activate developper mode in your Watch 4 : Settings / About and click 7 times on build number
    - Check these following options on the Watch 4 : "ADB debug" and "WiFi debug" (you have to be connected to the same wifi network on your smartwatch AND your computer)
    - Install Android Studio here
    - Open a new project on the app and go to File / Settings / System settings / Android SDK and check Android 11 for installation
    - Then, open the Terminal (Alt + F12 or in the Search bar) and enter these lines :
    1/ cd C:\Users\"NameOfYourPC\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools
    2/ adb connect 192.168.1.X:5555 (you can verify the IP address of your Watch 4 in General / WiFi)
    After all of these steps, and if you are lucky :) , you should see appear the open dialog on your Watch 4 "Allow debbuging".

If my explanations are not clear, you can watch this video tutorial on Youtube

PS : Sorry for my bad language :p
    No:

Hope it helped.
    Try temporarily turning off your firewall to connect.