• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Weird Account Logout behavior 🤔

Search This thread

Retrial

Recognized Contributor
Jun 10, 2015
Athens
Samsung Galaxy S4
Xiaomi Poco F1
Hello,

Couple minutes ago, I logged out from my account in xda, and when I logged out I saw the account name changed to another user called stratian45646 and I found his account.
I don't know why this happened? Is that a glitch/bug on the xda website or something different going on? Check the screenshot below, it's the moment I logged out and I saw this - when I tried to clicked on the account name to see the profile, a window pop up to login again. Also before that I saw a message saying "a user has changed" but I didn't paid attention since this happened in the past again but I refreshed the page and all was good.
2021-08-14 20_12_09-Window.png

If someone had any idea why this happened, please let me know. 🤔

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Essential Phone
Hello,

Couple minutes ago, I logged out from my account in xda, and when I logged out I saw the account name changed to another user called stratian45646 and I found his account.
I don't know why this happened? Is that a glitch/bug on the xda website or something different going on? Check the screenshot below, it's the moment I logged out and I saw this - when I tried to clicked on the account name to see the profile, a window pop up to login again. Also before that I saw a message saying "a user has changed" but I didn't paid attention since this happened in the past again but I refreshed the page and all was good.
View attachment 5385715
Maybe a bad cookie?
@MikeChannon

dan_09

May 15, 2013
www.phcorner.net
This is easy to replicate.
  1. Login to XDA (or any XF 2.2.x forum that misconfigured caching)
  2. Open Cookies in use for the site (via Dev Tools)
  3. Delete both xf_lscxf_logged_in & xf_user cookies
  4. Then browse the forum, you are still logged in but unfortunately your session is NOW CACHED on the server as Guest view
  5. Any Guest visit the site and browse those pages will be serve from cached (but with your private details like unread convo, alerts, etc)
XF 2.2 Admin and Owner here.

shadowstep

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jun 6, 2014
Ambala
OnePlus 9R
  4. Then browse the forum, you are still logged in but unfortunately your session is NOW CACHED on the server as Guest view
  5. Any Guest visit the site and browse those pages will be serve from cached (but with your private details like unread convo, alerts, etc)
@MikeChannon @svetius

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Well as I write this, I have deleted the two Cookies you mention and I'm still logged in and able to post as me.

Also, although I can see how deleting cookies can result in odd forum behavior, like the cached guest pages you mention, I'm not so clear on how this would explain the case where logging out results in another user's name appearing top right as if you were logged in as that other user (even if you aren't really logged in as them).

Mike

dan_09

May 15, 2013
www.phcorner.net
I have deleted the two Cookies you mention and I'm still logged in and able to post as me.
Yes this is expected and I didn't say you'll be logout after doing that.
PHP server or the forum software still recognize you as logged in user.

BUT, pages you visit after that will be cached for guest view as the cache server (Nginx or LiteSpeed) think you as Guest visitor only, this is the mis-configured part.

Sample:
  1. Delete both xf_lscxf_logged_in & xf_user cookies
  2. Visit any forum page (add random query to avoid cache hit):
  3. https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/oneplus-8t-accessories.11591/post-thread
  4. Now open that same url on Incognito mode or as Guest on other browser
  5. You should be able to access it via Cache with your account logged (when guest should not be able to view that)

Last edited:

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Yes this is expected and I didn't say you'll be logout after doing that.
PHP server or the forum software still recognize you as logged in user.

BUT, pages you visit after that will be cached for guest view as the cache server (Nginx or LiteSpeed) think you as Guest visitor only, this is the mis-configured part.

Sample:
  1. Delete both xf_lscxf_logged_in & xf_user cookies
  2. Visit any forum page (add random query to avoid cache hit):
  3. https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/oneplus-8t-accessories.11591/post-thread
  4. Now open that same url on Incognito mode or as Guest on other browser
  5. You should be able to access it via Cache with your account logged (when guest should not be able to view that)
Yes, I understand. I thought, (probably incorrectly) that you were explaining how another user's name could appear on the page (like happened to someone several posts up).
I thnk though you were explaining a different issue... the one where a user gets mixed messages about being logged in or out.

Mike

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Possibly, but I'm no expert on this. I'll notify someone who can check on it.

Mike
    Well as I write this, I have deleted the two Cookies you mention and I'm still logged in and able to post as me.

Also, although I can see how deleting cookies can result in odd forum behavior, like the cached guest pages you mention, I'm not so clear on how this would explain the case where logging out results in another user's name appearing top right as if you were logged in as that other user (even if you aren't really logged in as them).

Mike
    Hello,

View attachment 5385715
    Maybe a bad cookie?
    @MikeChannon
    @MikeChannon @svetius