Weird artifacts in HDR photos?

Search This thread

phositadc

May 7, 2010
First one is non-HDR, second is HDR. Notice the second seems to have a weird shadow/dark spot in the sky. I've seen similar strange things in other HDR photos. Anybody else?

Sent from my HTC One mini

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379208021363.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379208021363.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 125
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379208047924.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379208047924.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 137

holyevilcow

Sep 21, 2010
looks like the dreaded purple artifact... honestly, people are still debating if it's a hardware problem or software problem... solution? 4.3 update to Sense should fix it, that's the rumor at least anyway.

Reactions: phositadc

phositadc

May 7, 2010
looks like the dreaded purple artifact... honestly, people are still debating if it's a hardware problem or software problem... solution? 4.3 update to Sense should fix it, that's the rumor at least anyway.

Is it an issue on the HTC One or have others with the One mini reported it?

Sent from my HTC One mini

ericiidx

Dec 19, 2012

This looks nothing at all like the tinting issue many others are having with the HTC One. In fact, it looks exactly like the HDR processing effect that occurs when you've got a strong light source (the sun) behind a solid object (the tree.) This looks like a completely normal byproduct to me.

phositadc

May 7, 2010
This looks nothing at all like the tinting issue many others are having with the HTC One. In fact, it looks exactly like the HDR processing effect that occurs when you've got a strong light source (the sun) behind a solid object (the tree.) This looks like a completely normal byproduct to me.

For what it's worth, the sun wasn't behind that tree. It was directly overhead.

Sent from my Nexus 7

MercuryStar

Oct 6, 2009
What you are seeing is not a bug, but a normal result of "tone mapping", a technique commonly associated with HDR.

Tone mapping is where it automatically darkens light areas of the picture and lightens dark areas of the picture to reduce the overall dynamic range, hence fitting more dynamic range into the image. The downside to it is that it results in this crappy-looking effect around the edges of areas of uniform brightness.

In some cases you can adjust the level of tone-mapping or its blur-radius to minimise such effects. Unfortunately in this case it looks like you can't. It has far too high a blur-radius and is far too strong.

HDR is only gonna work satisfactorily on some images. It is definitely not something you should use all the time. It's a cheesy effect, and over-use of it or using it where not appropriate simply produces ugly results.

Do a search on Google for "tone mapping" and you'll see other spectacularly bad examples of this cheesy effect.

Last edited:

phositadc

May 7, 2010
What you are seeing is not a bug, but a normal result of "tone mapping", a technique commonly associated with HDR.

Tone mapping is where it automatically darkens light areas of the picture and lightens dark areas of the picture to reduce the overall dynamic range, hence fitting more dynamic range into the image. The downside to it is that it results in this crappy-looking effect around the edges of areas of uniform brightness.

In some cases you can adjust the level of tone-mapping or its blur-radius to minimise such effects. Unfortunately in this case it looks like you can't. It has far too high a blur-radius and is far too strong.

HDR is only gonna work satisfactorily on some images. It is definitely not something you should use all the time. It's a cheesy effect, and over-use of it or using it where not appropriate simply produces ugly results.

Do a search on Google for "tone mapping" and you'll see other spectacularly bad examples of this cheesy effect.

Thanks for the info. I wish the one mini had the option to save both the HDR and the non-hdr so you had a backup image when HDR causes problems like this.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.