• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Weird battery performance with the S21 (Exynos)

Search This thread

Mumbira

Oct 11, 2012
Hey, about two weeks ago I got myself a new S21. On the first day I was stoked, since I got 10hours of screen-on-time, a value that I never had before with any phone.
But the next day the illusion got destroyed, 3 hrs of screen on time. Something felt off, since I didn't even use the phone that much.

...long story short:
No matter how I use the phone (or not), the battery life seems to be the same. It doesn't make a difference if I use the phone or not, if anything, it feels like the battery drains faster when the device isn't turned on.

I tried to set ALL apps to "deep standby", turn all sensors off. I even turned all settings off which might cause anything to be running in the background, like tap to wake, aod, fingerprint, pick up detection and what not...
Still, I don't get more then 12-20h of total battery life. It doesn't make a difference if I use the phone or not. Even if I don't use the phone at all, after 20h it's dead. If I use it extensively, I still get up to 20h, but the screen-on-time gets significantly higher.

Obviously, if I was to run some stresstest all the time, the battery would drain faster, but that's not the point here. Im talking about normal use (Facebook, WhatsApp, light browsing).

Btw. It was running on the latest Android 12 build the whole time. And I just received an update today and no changes in behaviour.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Disable all power management!!!
Developer options>standby apps, all buckets should show as active otherwise power management is active. You can't turn it off here!
Android will manage its self without this junk.
Find the problem apps and deal with them on a case by case basis. Take out the trash; FB, WhatsApp, Twitter etc... ditch that malware!

Device Care>storage, clean now and clear Google play Services data(repeat as needed).
Clear system cache.
Google backup Transport and cloud apps are prime suspects especially screen off.
Try temporarily disabling Google play Services.
Use the factory load version of apps... update one at a time and observe for a battery hit.
Go back to Android 11 if possible.

Don't burn up the battery! Power down when hot.
Limit top charge to 80%, low discharge to 30%
Don't use in direct sunlight if so only briefly.
Keep brightness at 50% or less to save battery and display.

Mumbira

Oct 11, 2012
That comment is basically useless. You're telling me not to use my phone at all, since WhatsApp and Facebook are the only things I do anyway.
Also the thing about battery care is not relevant right now, I'm saying the device is basically new and the idle drain is an issue. How am I supposed to prevent the phone from overheating while idling?

• Haha
Reactions: blackhawk

phnikola

Dec 15, 2006
Solar system, Planet Earth
yeah, right back at you 🙄

It's obviously a software bug somewhere, I'm just hoping that someone suffered the same and got a solution or hint. "Tips" like uninstalling WhatsApp are as useful as sending the phone to the trashbin and buying a new one.

Your tone is very rude for someone who is asking for help.
What you received as a support may not be fully giving you you wanted - but its free and showing the direction.

Mumbira

Oct 11, 2012
Sorry but it is as it is. His comment was useless and showed how he didn't even read my initial post, or didn't understand it. His generic reply about battery care doesn't help me either. And "try listening" also isn't the most polite way either:rolleyes:

Nonetheless, I have discovered some articles which mentioned something about VoLTE drain. It should have been sorted out by previous updates and apparently doesn't even concern all devices. But trying is free, right?:D
I have disabled VoLTE and enabled all battery savers. I got 10h of screen on time and about 36h of total time, which is great! (for a S21)
Next step will be verifying the results by turning everything on again, except VoLTE. (note: I had tested the same scenario before, only with VoLTE on.)

• Haha

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Sorry but it is as it is. His comment was useless and showed how he didn't even read my initial post, or didn't understand it. His generic reply about battery care doesn't help me either. And "try listening" also isn't the most polite way either:rolleyes:

Nonetheless, I have discovered some articles which mentioned something about VoLTE drain. It should have been sorted out by previous updates and apparently doesn't even concern all devices. But trying is free, right?:D
I have disabled VoLTE and enabled all battery savers. I got 10h of screen on time and about 36h of total time, which is great! (for a S21)
Next step will be verifying the results by turning everything on again, except VoLTE. (note: I had tested the same scenario before, only with VoLTE on.)

I did answer your question but you decided to get ignorant.
There likely is no one specific easy fix for your problem. I spent many hours optimizing my device... far longer then you.
When the battery life dies again and/or you get erratic behavior don't say I didn't try to warn you.

If you're too lazy to troubleshoot your own device, don't be crying and insulting others trying to show you where you might start.
I don't have battery issues...

Screenshot_20211203-095240_AccuBattery.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That comment is basically useless. You're telling me not to use my phone at all, since WhatsApp and Facebook are the only things I do anyway.
    Also the thing about battery care is not relevant right now, I'm saying the device is basically new and the idle drain is an issue. How am I supposed to prevent the phone from overheating while idling?

It's obviously a software bug somewhere, I'm just hoping that someone suffered the same and got a solution or hint. "Tips" like uninstalling WhatsApp are as useful as sending the phone to the trashbin and buying a new one.

Your tone is very rude for someone who is asking for help.
    What you received as a support may not be fully giving you you wanted - but its free and showing the direction.