• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Weird camera colour balance?

Search This thread

christonabike

Jul 19, 2009
Bournemouth
After taking a few pictures outside today, it seems the colour balance is completely shot on my HD2.
The effect is especially evident if you view the photos as thumbnails - there's a huge band of red in the centre of the photos.

I've attached a couple of examples, resized to VGA.

Has anyone else noticed a similar effect?

UPDATE: 22/11/2009 - numerous members are affected by this problem, see List of members with / without this problem here - post 138 in this thread

UPDATE: 10/12/2009 - HTC official hot fix available here:

http://www.htc.com/europe/supportdownloadlist.aspx?p_id=297&act=sd&cat=all

Attachments

• IMAG0005vga.jpg
    IMAG0005vga.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,367
  • IMAG0004vga.jpg
    IMAG0004vga.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,194
Last edited:

Dr.Sid

Nov 27, 2008
This occasionally happened to X1 photos. And it was because lens cover coating of the lens wore off. It was rather visible if you looked at the lens cover. Could be just dirty, too.

Fatherboard

Nov 9, 2009
can be moisture/glitch in white-balance (Very noticeable during video recording). I don't expect to get great results with this camera... so it doesn't really bother me.

DAMIEN123_666

Mar 6, 2009
to solve this issue change the auto white balance to outdoors not setting after auto, u will find this is best all round as i have after doing existence camera testing thought the day, i have some sample pics i took today ill add them once phones charged

Last edited:

christonabike

Jul 19, 2009
Bournemouth
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm pretty sure I was using 'outdoor' white balance in the photos above. Quite a few of the leo photos I've seen now have the red blotch in the middle to a greater or lesser extent.

I need to do a bit more testing.. just need some sun first!

Simon D

Apr 26, 2006
The red splodge in the centre of pictures is quite shocking really!
Here's a picure of a plain wall which clearly shows the problem, the other picture has had the levels adjusted to highlight the problem even more :)

Attachments

• IMAG0991.jpg
    IMAG0991.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 510
  • IMAG0992.jpg
    IMAG0992.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 439

Simon D

Apr 26, 2006
Have you tried lowering the ISO sensitivity?... this looks like a defective ccd, rather than just wrong white-balance setting.
OMG, it gets worse :(
First pic is from a Diamond 2, ISO manually set to 100 and Fluorescent colour balance. The second shot is exactly the same settings on the HD2 !!!!

Attachments

• IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 94

Fatherboard

Nov 9, 2009
Last thing to try (under fluorescent lighting) - if there's a "FLICKER/FLICKERING" setting, try to play with it.
European devices should be set to 50Hz, In America/Asia - 60Hz.

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
My HD2 doesn't do this. All the pictures I've taken so far were just fine.
1. Any possibility in passing on what settings you are using so that we all can further discuss this.
2. Have you tried pointing the camera at the ceiling indoors (or a large white space) and taking a shot. Is the shot clean and what colour does it show?

Last thing to try (under fluorescent lighting) - if there's a "FLICKER/FLICKERING" setting, try to play with it.
European devices should be set to 50Hz, In America/Asia - 60Hz.
Yes, I've tried both 50Hz & 60Hz but both submit the same result.

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
I've just sent off a report with a link to this topic to HTC.

'If/When' I receive a reply I'll let you know.
Okay.... I have now received a reply back from HTC.
The content of their reply is as follows:-

Dear valued HTC customer, Thank you for contacting our Customer Support Center. We are dedicated to providing you with the best quality service and answering all of your questions and concerns. This could be a driver conflict and we recommend to try a hard reset on it make sure that you back up all your data before the reset. If the problem still going on after this then contact us and we will send your device to be repaired or returned this device to the re-seller and exchange fo another one. If these steps have not helped, please let me know by responding using the link provided and I will be happy to check again for you. Best regards, HTC customer support team HTC Corp. Global Service Division http://www.htc.com/europe/CA_Hotline.aspx Call Center at: 44-120-271-4530 if you have further questions.
--------------------------------------------------

My reply back to this read as follows:-

Dear Support,
This is not a driver conflict issue and a hard reset is not going to cure this problem.
It is either a generic hardware fault that is effecting countless HD2's or a software error.

This will either have to be addressed as a recall of all machines exhibiting the problem or a ROM patch.

Regardless, this problem is now being reported not just by me but by other sites as well ~ including the site I mentioned in my initial message to you which again can be found at:- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=4969313#post4969313

Thanking you.

--------------------------------------------------

I'll continue to keep you all updates as and when further material is sent to me.

Note:
In the meantime; I shall be in Theatre all day today and will be away from my computer for the next 15hrs.
I will re-log on tonight at midnight GMT and check for any replies from HTC.

Beards