• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

weird folder in file system: GROWTH_TEST

Search This thread

raul6

Jan 26, 2009
Filled with following:
com.android.volley.NoConnectionError: java.net.ConnectException: Failed to connect to ureca.samsungapps.com

L .J.629

Apr 13, 2020
Me too. Info from Growth-Test Log Text.

com.android.volley.NoConnectionError: java.net.UnknownHostException: Unable to resolve host "ureca.samsungapps.com": No address associated with hostnamecom.android.volley.VolleyError: Network Disconnectedcom.android.volley.VolleyError: Network Disconnected

Sounds like it is a host. Could we be hacked? I have had issues since last august!

scottusa2008

Nov 30, 2008

com.android.volley.NoConnectionError: java.net.UnknownHostException: Unable to resolve host "ureca.samsungapps.com": No address associated with hostnamecom.android.volley.VolleyError: Network Disconnectedcom.android.volley.VolleyError: Network Disconnected

Sounds like it is a host. Could we be hacked? I have had issues since last august!

It's apparent that it is a log file for an app on the phone.

Could your phone be hacked? if you truly were then you wouldn't see a log file. Let alone a log file saying that something couldn't connect to a samsung server.

If in doubt perform a full factory data reset and set the phone back up without using a backup. Do not install anything on the phone other then updates to what was on the phone originally. Use it like this for half a week to a week... if the log fle appears then it's probly from one of the apps on the phone.

Your issues are probably (80-90% likely until you make a proper new thread asking for help) entirely seperate from this.

Chances are either you have outdated firmware/software, hardware failures/problems, expectation/reality matters, or just need to do a factory data reset. If you choose to do the factory data reset then avoid using a backup to restore apps and settings (cuz if the issue was from an app or setting then the issue is most likely included with the backup).

Reactions: Yopiyop69

mzsquared

Feb 22, 2018
CT
I found some weird things in Hidden Sys apps as well: "Circular ver1.0" five instances of it 0.0B, "Filled" - also 5 instances, "Gestural Navigation Bar" - 10 times, "Rounded" x4 and some other 0.0 B apps., does anyone know what for are they and why they propagate in so many instances? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

soulife

Jul 27, 2008
It was really bothering me that I couldn't find solid information on this. I went pretty deep down the rabbit hole this morning. So far, this is what I've found out:

Worth Noting;
-- If you crawl the subdomains for the logged domain samsungapps,com it's related to Samsung Galaxy Apps.
-- ureca subdomain was registered in 2009 (first Galaxy phone release)
-- "Growth" seems to be related to marketing via the Galaxy Store.
-- There seems to be Knox relations as well. I will speculate further down below.

After sorting through a ton of data, as if it couldn't be safely assumed by the domain, the ureca URL is embedded in the Samsung Apps, Theme Store, and Game Launcher, that I've found so far. Take a look at some interesting strings I found in the APKs;

Package Name
com.samsung.android.themestore
Internal Version
Displayed Version
]https://ureca.samsungapps.com/collect/billing_usage_log
]https://ureca.samsungapps.com/collect/theme_sa_log
]https://cn-ureca.galaxyappstore.com/collect/theme_sa_log

Package Name
com.sec.android.app.samsungapps
Main Activity
com.sec.android.app.samsungapps.SamsungAppsMainActivity
Internal Version
Displayed Version
]https://ureca.samsungapps.com/collect/iap_usage_log
(There are also iap subdomains @ samsungapps too, fwiw)

BUT, I have no idea what devices these are coming off of. Some APKs are varying wildly. Some report spyware, trojans, etc, too. Most by only 1 AV vendor though. If anyone has more time than me, take a look. Not sure if Knox is the "backdoor", the 'diamond' and 'zirconia' subdomains looked interesting. Or if it's a false hit, the Chinese govt, or if the APKs are from a repo and they're malicious. Didn't look into it in the slightest.

Or if anyone already discovered exactly the source of the "GROWTH_TEST" folder, please let me know so I don't revisit this. But I'm pretty sure it's Galaxy Store Market related stuff.

FWIW - Me
Galaxy S10+, OEM Unlocked.
June 1st security update. USA
My Growth Test folder contained 2 files,
appsUsageLog.txt: (1 "volley can't resolve ureca.samsungapps.com")
optin_trace.txt: (1 "volley network error")

Last edited:
Reactions: winoles

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
You're probably over thinking this.
Pretty sure I've seen it before too.

If you're still running on Pie Karma Firewall will let you monitor and block internet connections.
Shows you which apks are busy sucking up bandwidth and battery.
Scan any questionable apks online with Virustotal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It's apparent that it is a log file for an app on the phone.

Could your phone be hacked? if you truly were then you wouldn't see a log file. Let alone a log file saying that something couldn't connect to a samsung server.

If in doubt perform a full factory data reset and set the phone back up without using a backup. Do not install anything on the phone other then updates to what was on the phone originally. Use it like this for half a week to a week... if the log fle appears then it's probly from one of the apps on the phone.

Your issues are probably (80-90% likely until you make a proper new thread asking for help) entirely seperate from this.

Chances are either you have outdated firmware/software, hardware failures/problems, expectation/reality matters, or just need to do a factory data reset. If you choose to do the factory data reset then avoid using a backup to restore apps and settings (cuz if the issue was from an app or setting then the issue is most likely included with the backup).
    It was really bothering me that I couldn't find solid information on this. I went pretty deep down the rabbit hole this morning. So far, this is what I've found out:

Worth Noting;
    -- If you crawl the subdomains for the logged domain samsungapps,com it's related to Samsung Galaxy Apps.
    -- ureca subdomain was registered in 2009 (first Galaxy phone release)
    -- "Growth" seems to be related to marketing via the Galaxy Store.
    -- There seems to be Knox relations as well. I will speculate further down below.

After sorting through a ton of data, as if it couldn't be safely assumed by the domain, the ureca URL is embedded in the Samsung Apps, Theme Store, and Game Launcher, that I've found so far. Take a look at some interesting strings I found in the APKs;

Package Name
    com.samsung.android.themestore
    Internal Version
    Displayed Version
    ]https://ureca.samsungapps.com/collect/billing_usage_log
    ]https://ureca.samsungapps.com/collect/theme_sa_log
    ]https://cn-ureca.galaxyappstore.com/collect/theme_sa_log

Package Name
    com.sec.android.app.samsungapps
    Main Activity
    com.sec.android.app.samsungapps.SamsungAppsMainActivity
    Internal Version
    Displayed Version
    ]https://ureca.samsungapps.com/collect/iap_usage_log
    (There are also iap subdomains @ samsungapps too, fwiw)

BUT, I have no idea what devices these are coming off of. Some APKs are varying wildly. Some report spyware, trojans, etc, too. Most by only 1 AV vendor though. If anyone has more time than me, take a look. Not sure if Knox is the "backdoor", the 'diamond' and 'zirconia' subdomains looked interesting. Or if it's a false hit, the Chinese govt, or if the APKs are from a repo and they're malicious. Didn't look into it in the slightest.

Or if anyone already discovered exactly the source of the "GROWTH_TEST" folder, please let me know so I don't revisit this. But I'm pretty sure it's Galaxy Store Market related stuff.

FWIW - Me
    Galaxy S10+, OEM Unlocked.
    June 1st security update. USA
    My Growth Test folder contained 2 files,
    appsUsageLog.txt: (1 "volley can't resolve ureca.samsungapps.com")
    optin_trace.txt: (1 "volley network error")