Weird gmail notifications returning after being dismissed issue.

Search This thread

davem666

Aug 29, 2009
I'm getting this weird issue where when I dismiss notifications from gmail, they will immediately come back and then dismiss themselves again one by one.

Easier to show than to explain, so here's a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PnGCYlIdcX5ua4Ji2

It's really annoying, especially since the notifications are also sent to my gear S2 watch which then just buzzes like crazy as my phone is cycling through all the notifications.

I've used all the google-fu I know and came up with pretty much nothing, so I'm hoping someone here can help me figure this out.

Potentially related: I get notifications for new e-mails pretty much as soon as they come in, but if I go to gmail on my computer and read or delete that e-mail, the notification won't update. It definitely used to, and I'm not really sure when that changed.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

JeffDC

Oct 21, 2009
Roseburg
I'm unable to play the video to see the notification . . . my internet is terrible right now. Perhaps you could just put up a single photo of the notification, or enter the text into your original post?

• Haha
Reactions: jooniloh

og21

Jul 1, 2017
Lancaster
Check your setting for "Notification Reminders" under the Accessibility tab & find what you may have unknowingly switched on.
Happened to me once, I know how annoying it can be lol.
Hope this helps!

wombat_combat

Jan 21, 2018
I get the same thing. Seems to be nothing to do to stop it however you may be able to reduce it to one notification in the gmail app settings just go to the app settings tap your email then about halfway down tap inbox, sound and vibrate and make sure notify for every msg is unchecked. Hope this helps.

davem666

Aug 29, 2009
I appreciate all the suggestions, unfortunately none of them seem to be the solution for me :(...

JeffDC - A photo won't show anything, it will either show notifications there, or not, while the issue is when I dismiss a notification, it then comes back again after ~1 sec as another notification, then dismisses again after another couple of seconds, instead of properly dismissing the first time around.

og21 - Notification reminders were already off in accessibility settings.

wombat_combat - Notify for every message is already unchecked.

sameproblem10

Jul 29, 2019
Same thing here. Haven't been able to find a solution. Galaxy S10 and only happens for my work email inside the secure folder.

Snoman002

May 2, 2009
oh-io
Tagging this one again since it appeared on my google search.

On my previous Galaxy S8+ when I dismissed the notifications (notification shade) occasional a gmail notification (one just dismissed) would pop back up then immediately dismiss itself.
On my new S20 FE when I dismiss the notifications occasionally a gmail notification (one just dismissed) pops back up as if it was a new notification and stays there until dismissed again.

Phil_Canyon

Mar 31, 2008
This happens when I clear it from the notifications and as soon as I swipe up the Gmail notification shows again. It's been happening for a while and I don't know how to tell them to fix it.

Vash

Feb 5, 2005
Santa Clara
www.linuxized.com
2021, this is still happening to me all the time. Gmail notifications come back to haunt me after clearing them. Sometimes they disappear after a few seconds, sometimes I have to dismiss them again.

Pixel 5.

I do have a suspicion it might be caused by Samsung Wear, maybe I'll remove notification access from it to see...
Update: ^ didn't work -.-

Last edited:

mes2k

Jul 31, 2012
Same here. Stock Pixel 4a. Only one Google Account set up (which is a quite old Google Apps account).

Edit: The issue was also present on my former mobile, a Nokia 6.1, also running Stock firmware.

SinéadO

Jun 22, 2021
Google Pixel 4 XL
I'll bump this, too - same issue for months, Gmail notification pops (w/audio) immediately after I dismiss it. Have also tried all the "Google-fu" I know.

Pixel 4 XL - A11, stock and updated.

armedzerox

Jan 30, 2012
November 2021.
Still the same..

This is getting annoying AF.

Android should be better than IOS because it let the users control everything.
But what is with this crap.

I could not find any solution to let the notification notify ONLY when something new comes....

But I haven't tried hard either...

Anyone got any solution on this?

Shart-Pooter

Feb 4, 2016
Go to your Gmail settings. General settings. Click on account. Scroll down to "nudges". Turn off. Repeat for each account.

Shart-Pooter

Feb 4, 2016
November 2021.
Still the same..

This is getting annoying AF.

Android should be better than IOS because it let the users control everything.
But what is with this crap.

I could not find any solution to let the notification notify ONLY when something new comes....

But I haven't tried hard either...

Anyone got any solution on this?
Go to your Gmail settings. General settings. Click on account. Scroll down to "nudges". Turn off. Repeat for each account.

Shart-Pooter

Feb 4, 2016
I'll bump this, too - same issue for months, Gmail notification pops (w/audio) immediately after I dismiss it. Have also tried all the "Google-fu" I know.

Pixel 4 XL - A11, stock and updated.
Go to your Gmail settings. General settings. Click on account. Scroll down to "nudges". Turn off. Repeat for each account

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm unable to play the video to see the notification . . . my internet is terrible right now. Perhaps you could just put up a single photo of the notification, or enter the text into your original post?