Welcome to XDA 2021!

Search This thread

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
  • Aug 23, 2011
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Samsung Galaxy S10
    The watched category is the one I most like to be on. After finishing reading a thread (like this one), I usually like to get back to the 'watched' screen to read the next watched thread. Currently, that involves scrolling to the top of the current thread, and (on a narrow phone screen) the watched category is not visible (see screenshot). To get to it one needs to scroll horizontally 2-3 screens to get to it.

These are too many steps. It should be easier to get back to the watched screen! Perhaps the back arrow should take you there. Or the category list on the screenshot should be rearranged so watched is visible in the left category choices.
    Thanks.
    View attachment 5162425
    Another way to get to the watched threads is by tapping the hamburger menu in the upper left and tap on "your account". May not be the perfect solution but an alternative.
    Another way is to bookmark the watched threads view (https://forum.xda-developers.com/watched/threads) in your browser and create shortcut to the startscreen.
    That is how I have done it ;)

Re: Mobile Browser & Watched Threads

The watched category is the one I most like to be on. After finishing reading a thread (like this one), I usually like to get back to the 'watched' screen to read the next watched thread. Currently, that involves scrolling to the top of the current thread, and (on a narrow phone screen) the watched category is not visible (see screenshot). To get to it one needs to scroll horizontally 2-3 screens to get to it.

These are too many steps. It should be easier to get back to the watched screen! Perhaps the back arrow should take you there. Or the category list on the screenshot should be rearranged so watched is visible in the left category choices.
    Thanks.
    View attachment 5162425

Turn phone in landscape mode et voilà! ;)

Forum_Android_Chrome_Landscape_curiousrom.png

That screenshot is from Chrome on Galaxy S5.

Another way to get to the watched threads is by tapping the hamburger menu in the upper left and tap on "your account". May not be the perfect solution but an alternative.
    Another way is to bookmark the watched threads view (https://forum.xda-developers.com/watched/threads) in your browser and create shortcut to the startscreen.
    That is how I have done it ;)

Reactions: It_ler and tiho5

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
    Staff member
    Jun 7, 1972

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Recognized Contribut
    Mar 14, 2012
    Halifax
    GT-i9250
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Ok, so I've updated this again to 30 links.

Mike
    Thank you!!

While you're at it.. can you up the line limit? The way it calculates the limit doesn't seem super intelligent so even though mine is all floatlefts and in reality only 6 lines when collapsed, it's telling me "Your signature is 69 line(s) too long." 😅

The other hopefully more trivial one is attachment limits. I think it's at 10 per post right now, but I've got like 15 in my Odds thread OP, so I can't really update it without losing a number of them currently, which isn't ideal. 🤞

Last edited:

tiho5

• Jun 21, 2010
    Bulgaria

Thanks.
    View attachment 5162425

Absolutely agree with you. The category list on the screenshot should be rearranged so watched is visible without having to scroll.

Reactions: MarcoBobolo

tiho5

• Jun 21, 2010
    Bulgaria
    Browsing XDA 2021 on Chrome in mobile version and in the post reply field I can't find the save/delete draft button.
    Screenshot_20201220-152856_Chrome.jpg

When I switch to desktop site I can see it second to the last.
    Screenshot_20201220-153015_Chrome.jpg

Or am I missing something? Could someone please confirm this.

plegdroid

Recognized Contributor
    Sep 15, 2011
    manchester

Thanks.
    View attachment 5162425

I do like the idea of a rearrange option 👍. As a crude work around. Navigate to watched threads, within the browser options, add to home screen. Using the link now on home screen, the home screen link is default view to watched on loading the site. If you want to get back to the watched view from any other thread, just swipe the browser view from recents and re press the link from home screen back to watched threads. But yes a rearrange/make default view option (the app has this option) would be great ☕😊

Last edited:

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
    Staff member
    Jun 7, 1972
    Thank you!!

While you're at it.. can you up the line limit? The way it calculates the limit doesn't seem super intelligent so even though mine is all floatlefts and in reality only 6 lines when collapsed, it's telling me "Your signature is 69 line(s) too long." 😅

The other hopefully more trivial one is attachment limits. I think it's at 10 per post right now, but I've got like 15 in my Odds thread OP, so I can't really update it without losing a number of them currently, which isn't ideal. 🤞

OK so
    30 lines
    20 attachments.

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
    mine did alright after I added a little syntax to it. I'm not sure what all works with XDA's search engine, but I can confirm quoting works with browser search. However searching with the app is.. ok. When I search 'new xda app' it returns everything but this thread, having too many common terms from what I can tell. If I add '2021' though it will return this thread. Search can be tricky. What isn't working exactly for you?
    My problem is in submitting a Search: In landscape orientation, if I click the Search text box, the keyboard will not stay open -- it opens, then closes itself. I can click the magnifying glass to open the dialog box. Choosing "This Thread" does no good: I can't type a search string because the keyboard won't stay open; if I go to Advanced, "This Thread" is not an option, and choosing "This Thread" in the dialog box before going to Advanced does not make the search submitted from Advanced a "This Thread" search. In portrait orientation, the keyboard will stay open, but the gear wheel will not open the dialog box, so I can't choose "This Thread".

Mar 23, 2011
    Southeast USA
    My problem is in submitting a Search: In landscape orientation, if I click the Search text box, the keyboard will not stay open -- it opens, then closes itself. I can click the magnifying glass to open the dialog box. Choosing "This Thread" does no good: I can't type a search string because the keyboard won't stay open; if I go to Advanced, "This Thread" is not an option, and choosing "This Thread" in the dialog box before going to Advanced does not make the search submitted from Advanced a "This Thread" search. In portrait orientation, the keyboard will stay open, but the gear wheel will not open the dialog box, so I can't choose "This Thread".
    are you referring to the browser? I can't get a thread search option at all for the new app..

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
    Hippoland
    Is there any way I can pay money to stop getting all of the ads on this new site?

This new-and-improved forum software has new-and-improved ways to put up intrusive, annoying advertisements. I understand the need for the site to generate revenue, and I am gladly willing to pay some sort of ongoing fee to keep these ads out of my life.

I can't find any pay-for-an-ad-free-experience options here, but I'm hoping that I'm missing something.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

Is there any way I can pay money to stop getting all of the ads on this new site?

This new-and-improved forum software has new-and-improved ways to put up intrusive, annoying advertisements. I understand the need for the site to generate revenue, and I am gladly willing to pay some sort of ongoing fee to keep these ads out of my life.

I can't find any pay-for-an-ad-free-experience options here, but I'm hoping that I'm missing something.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

I posted that already:

How can I get the ad-free version of XDA?

Pls., is there anybody that can give me some information on this subject?

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
    Hippoland
    I posted that already:
    I'm sorry for missing your earlier post. I'm still getting used to the software here and I overlooked it.

I got another message elsewhere which referred me to uBlock origin. It apparently can hide ads without fully blocking them and therefore, without preventing XDA from getting the revenue. I will check that out, but ideally, I'd rather just pay XDA for an ad-free version of this site.

I'm sorry for missing your earlier post. I'm still getting used to the software here and I overlooked it.

I got another message elsewhere which referred me to uBlock origin. It apparently can hide ads without fully blocking them and therefore, without preventing XDA from getting the revenue. I will check that out, but ideally, I'd rather just pay XDA for an ad-free version of this site.

I totally agree with you ...

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone