Welcome to XDA 2021!

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
@svetius and @osm0sis

Unless I'm miss understanding, this option is broken.

When in a Category like
General
Moto G7 Power
You have the option to search all forums under that category.

All searches result in No results found.
I did what I thought you described, and it found posts in several threads in several forums. I am using a browser. Maybe I wasn't limited to the current forum.

I never saw the popup you showed.

I used the menu bar option "Search forums". That took me to a search page. "Search threads" under that found posts in different threads in different forums. "Search forums" found things, but didn't have the option of displaying posts. Both options had "sort by date" as an option, although one had more sort options than the other.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
I did what I thought you described, and it found posts in several threads in several forums. I am using a browser. Maybe I wasn't limited to the current forum.

I never saw the popup you showed.

I used the menu bar option "Search forums". That took me to a search page. "Search threads" under that found posts in different threads in different forums. "Search forums" found things, but didn't have the option of displaying posts. Both options had "sort by date" as an option, although one had more sort options than the other.
You will only see the "This category" option if there are subforums.
Like the links I posted.

Edit: Updated my earlier post to clarify that it's "This category" search that is broken.

Last edited:

scootley

Nov 10, 2008
The "Search forums" link that brings you to a separate page is also not the way to do this type of search*, nor is the Advanced search button. The only way to see this option is to click in the "Search..." box at the top of the page where there is an untitled dropdown for search scope that defaults to "Everywhere". It has an option called "This category" which is only present if the page you are on is a Category page (showing a group of related forums). However, as of now this option is broken and does not function, even if you were to select it when it is present.

Also when you get to that dedicated search page with the 4 tabs (Everything, Forums, Threads, Tags), the "Search Forums" tab is to find a forum or forum category with a given term in the name. In other words, it helps you answer questions like "where is the forum(s) for the Pixel 2"? That tab does not search for posts or threads.

*Note: the type of search we are talking about is where you want to see search results that are posts and/or threads, but you want to limit the scope of the search to a "Category", which is a grouping of related forums, such as "all forums for the Pixel 5"

And regarding sorting, the only way to achieve what I was asking about there is described here.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl

ianmacd

Jan 5, 2016
Amsterdam
localhost
It would be awfully nice for those of us not living in a former British colony if there were a facility allowing the user to configure the display of time using 24 hour clock notation.

I had a quick look at the XenForo forums to see how this is done, and it appears that it's only available via language selection. However, because I see no ability to select a language in my Preferences, I assume none other than US English has been configured in the global Admin Control Panel.

Anyway, it's just an annoyance, not a major issue, but it would be nice to be able to display the time using the notation that most of the world uses.

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...y-featured-file-manager.1523691/post-84326111
(post with an embedded image)

At least some images embedded in posts trigger a special image viewer. It doesn't count as a new tab, so hitting the Back button closes the tab in which I was reading the thread. It has its own controls, but they are not visible until you stroke the image. Even then, they disappear if you don't act fast enough. And the display of the controls is not always on the screen: while holding the tablet in portrait mode, the controls were not visible until I managed to Zoom Out.

I have seen a post with a flock of images attached/embedded. Tapping on one brings up a viewer that offers to let me flick through the images. Again, I need to realize that it has its own "X" to close -- hitting the Back button will close the tab in which I had been viewing the thread, which means I will also lose my place im the thread (all posts on that page will cease to be New).

I believe I have encountered embedded images that I did not have the option of opening in a new tab.

It would help me a lot if the Back button consistently dismissed the image being viewed and returned me to the thumbnail I tapped to get to the image. I think I would be better off if images *always* opened in a new tab.

Reactions: 3mel

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...y-featured-file-manager.1523691/post-84326111
(post with an embedded image)

At least some images embedded in posts trigger a special image viewer. It doesn't count as a new tab, so hitting the Back button closes the tab in which I was reading the thread. It has its own controls, but they are not visible until you stroke the image. Even then, they disappear if you don't act fast enough. And the display of the controls is not always on the screen: while holding the tablet in portrait mode, the controls were not visible until I managed to Zoom Out.

I have seen a post with a flock of images attached/embedded. Tapping on one brings up a viewer that offers to let me flick through the images. Again, I need to realize that it has its own "X" to close -- hitting the Back button will close the tab in which I had been viewing the thread, which means I will also lose my place im the thread (all posts on that page will cease to be New).

I believe I have encountered embedded images that I did not have the option of opening in a new tab.

It would help me a lot if the Back button consistently dismissed the image being viewed and returned me to the thumbnail I tapped to get to the image. I think I would be better off if images *always* opened in a new tab.
I'm confused, when I click on the thumbnail, it goes full size and full screen, and in the top right is a close button to return me back to the post / thread. No need to touch the browser back button. I am on a desktop browser, so maybe thats not what you are talking about. The back button on the browser is exactly that / what a browser does. It goes back to the previous web page, NOT the state you were before you last clicked, as you appear to want. Imagine if it could be easily controlled by web pab pages, it would be abused by some sites to stop you navigating away from their site.

To open the image in a new tab, most browsers already support either right clicking and "open in a new tab" or even easier, holding the control button down and clicking on the image. The other benefit on that one is that you can click on a bunch in quick succession or selectively show then out of order.

Last edited:
Reactions: sd_shadow

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
I'm confused, when I click on the thumbnail, it goes full size and full screen, and in the top right is a close button to return me back to the post / thread. No need to touch the browser back button. I am on a desktop browser, so maybe thats not what you are talking about. The back button on the browser is exactly that / what a browser does. It goes back to the previous web page, NOT the state you were before you last clicked, as you appear to want. Imagine if it could be easily controlled by web pab pages, it would be abused by some sites to stop you navigating away from their site.

To open the image in a new tab, most browsers already support either right clicking and "open in a new tab" or even easier, holding the control button down and clicking on the image. The other benefit on that one is that you can click on a bunch in quick succession or selectively show then out of order.
I'm mostly reporting problems when browsing on a tablet. On a desktop computer, it's much less confusing -- the browser window is always wide enough for me to see the ghostly controls. And I more often have the option of using the context menu to open the image in a new tab.

On a tablet, in a browser, there are some images that do not respond to my holding my finger on the thumbnail. Somehow, the image does not register as either a link or as an image. It may be related to how the image is attached to the post. I think wrapping the image in Spoiler tags gets in my way.

That image does not give me that problem. I was using it as an example of another aspect of the problem: When holding the tablet in Portrait orientation, when I open the image, the ghostly controls are not visible -- they are off the screen. If I remember to look for them, and I manage to Zoom Out, and then stroke the image, I get the controls, and I can use them.

On a tablet, the browser itself doesn't tend to have a "back" button. The only Back button is the tablet's Back button, on the navigation bar. I think it is normal in the tablet world to expect that Back button to undo whatever you just did: close the menu you just opened, close the tab you're on -- it's much more context sensitive. If clicking on an image makes the image get bigger, clicking the Back button makes the image go back to the way it was. Maybe in those circumstances, the Back button is behaving more like an Escape key.

I see your point about not letting a web page intercept the Back button. (Although I think I have experienced pages that managed to intercept it enough to nag me "are you sure you want to leave?" Fortunately, they aren't clever enough to stop me from telling the browser to close the tab.) That's why I offered "I think I'd be better off if the image opened in a new tab".

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...y-featured-file-manager.1523691/post-84289305
This post has an image that my browser does not recognize as either an image or a link.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3mel

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I see your point about not letting a web page intercept the Back button. (Although I think I have experienced pages that managed to intercept it enough to nag me "are you sure you want to leave?" Fortunately, they aren't clever enough to stop me from telling the browser to close the tab.) That's why I offered "I think I'd be better off if the image opened in a new tab".

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...y-featured-file-manager.1523691/post-84289305
This post has an image that my browser does not recognize as either an image or a link.
You did not say if you tested the "open in new tab"? I dont know how with a tablet, but someone else is sure to know.

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
You did not say if you tested the "open in new tab"? I dont know how with a tablet, but someone else is sure to know.
I do routinely open links in new tabs using the context menu.

Sometimes it is not an option -- something about the way the image is wrapped in HTML results in the tablet browser not recognizing that I am pressing on a link or image, and I do not get a context menu.

Other times, when someone posts a flock of images, I think it will be more convenient to trigger the mini image viewer, in order to flip through the images.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I do routinely open links in new tabs using the context menu.

Sometimes it is not an option -- something about the way the image is wrapped in HTML results in the tablet browser not recognizing that I am pressing on a link or image, and I do not get a context menu.

Other times, when someone posts a flock of images, I think it will be more convenient to trigger the mini image viewer, in order to flip through the images.
Or the devs of the browser should fix their bugs / missing features. Everything works in a desktop browser, and anything that they cant similarly get to work on their tablet (I am guessing android) browser highlights either a bug in their software or the users knowledge. You cannot expect every website to tailor their website to cover the bug in one specific browser. That's why there are standards, and you may also have better luck with a different browser.

Last edited:

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
Is there some place where I can influence the way the attachments to a post are displayed?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...y-featured-file-manager.1523691/post-23109280

This post has a number of attached files with long, descriptive, names.

On the old web site, the post displayed with a neat list of the long names.

On the new web site, these attachments are shown as if they were a gallery of images, with a very large icon (adding nothing, since it's always the standard "generic document" icon), and as much of the filename displayed as will fit in the box around the icon. It is hard to read the name of each attachment to distinguish among the different versions of the program being offered.

On a desktop computer, in a browser, I can mouse over the link for each attachment and read the entire filename in the tooltip, or on the status bar.

On a tablet, in a browser, it is even more tedious: I have to invoke the context menu on each attachment link. By sheer luck, the particular browser I am using chooses to display the entire URL at the top of the context menu.

Is there a prefence that would change the display of attachments from Gallery View to Detailed View?

Reactions: curiousrom

sol-invictus

Feb 5, 2011
@osm0sis
Thanks for making and updating post #2 and #3 - could you please add also my remark on the HTML header to one of your lists:
I think one thing was not yet mentioned - I like to bookmark threads I'm in the process to read - so in the html header of vBulletin there was also the page - with the new XenForo it's just the thread name. I propose a format like f.e. "Welcome to XDA 2021! - Page 92 | XDA Developers Forums"

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
quick question.When I send a PM (start a conversation), this new interface allows me to edit what I have sent, after I have pressed the send button.

Does the actual edited version get sent or the original?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
quick question.When I send a PM (start a conversation), this new interface allows me to edit what I have sent, after I have pressed the send button.

Does the actual edited version get sent or the original?
The only thing that gets sent is a email if the recipient has preferences set that way.
The conversation is like a private thread.
You just can't edit posts like a normal thread, except for that small window.
you can like posts. You can add others to the conversation. You can have upto 6 people in a conversation.

Last edited:

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Hello !

I'm sorry if the question was asked here before, does anyone know if Donate To Me button will be under my avatav like before? Or maybe there is a new way to make it visible ? Thanks !

Reactions: sol-invictus