Welcome to XDA 2021!

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
Re: Make The Right Sidebar Great Again!

Post a fulll width screenshot from your PC not your phone. I m trying to decipher what you are telling me, and I am failing to be confident I understand.
I attached a screenshot with a big red arrow made on my Windows 10 laptop & Edge of the XDA Open GApps thread's page #1 before the migration after opening the web archive snapshot that you can open yourself on your PC and scroll: [GAPPS][DAILY] Open GApps for Android; All A… | Android Development and Hacking (archive.org)

This post is a follow-up of Make The Right Sidebar Great Again!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: sol-invictus

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Re: Make The Right Sidebar Great Again!

I attached a screenshot with a big red arrow made on my Windows 10 laptop & Edge of the XDA Open GApps thread's page #1 before the migration after opening the web archive snapshot that you can open yourself on your PC and scroll: [GAPPS][DAILY] Open GApps for Android; All A… | Android Development and Hacking (archive.org)

This post is a follow-up of Make The Right Sidebar Great Again!
OK, now I see why I was so confused. you are talkinng about returning a feature from the old XDA. I am simply talking about a smaller change, in that removing a cr8ppy feature of this new interface. Baby steps.

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
About the new forum layout (like for instance for Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra) and the new "Prefix" based system with categories such as “Question”, “General”, “Accessories”, “Development” and etc.:

I think categories buttons must be added at the top of the forum like @t-shock said here. I know that now it is possible to click on a category and it will filter it for you (which is good), but if you do not see the category you need in the list you don’t have a direct shortcut to jump to it.

However, after you filter a category and you press the Mark Read button at the top of the list of this category, this action marks read the entire forum including the other categories! It should solely mark read this category only, not the entire forum!

t-shock

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
Thessaloniki, Central Macedonia
About the new forum layout (like for instance for Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra) and the new "Prefix" based system with categories such as “Question”, “General”, “Accessories”, “Development” and etc.:

I think categories buttons must be added at the top of the forum like @t-shock said here. I know that now it is possible to click on a category and it will filter it for you (which is good), but if you do not see the category you need in the list you don’t have a direct shortcut to jump to it.

However, after you filter a category and you press the Mark Read button at the top of the list of this category, this action marks read the entire forum including the other categories! It should solely mark read this category only, not the entire forum!
Ι totally agree with you ! Thanks for mentioning me too
I want to highlight the importance of a filter to exclude a (or some) categories. For example, I dont want to see the threads that have the "Question" tag on their title. I want to see everything else. Or I want to see a specific group of threads (eg General)
I hope XDA considers it as it would make the experience much better (personally speaking)

Last edited:

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria
Ι totally agree with you ! Thanks for mentioning me too
I want to add/highlight the importance of a filter to exclude a (or some) categories. For example, I dont want to see the thread that have the "Question" tag on their title. I want to see everything else. Or I want to see a specific group of threads (eg General)
I hope XDA considers it as it would make the experience much better (personally speaking)
Totally agree with this. Very useful. It would work great that way.

MR4Y

Apr 25, 2012
Araras - SP
I'd like the forums to prioritize the information that I want to read, which is the bits in the middle, rather than stealing that space with things that I could care less about, like posts from devices I don't even know about/have/care or the "topics" section on the left side, which conflicts with the navigation stuff at the top and bottom of the page, and that's whats matter since, once again, that's the content I want to see.

You're not gonna get people to use those features by hamfisting them to everybody without an option to opt out. Or maybe that's a secret plan to get users to remove those manually by making custom scripts for their browsers.

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
I'd like the forums to prioritize the information that I want to read, which is the bits in the middle, rather than stealing that space with things that I could care less about, like posts from devices I don't even know about/have/care or the "topics" section on the left side, which conflicts with the navigation stuff at the top and bottom of the page, and that's whats matter since, once again, that's the content I want to see.

You're not gonna get people to use those features by hamfisting them to everybody without an option to opt out. Or maybe that's a secret plan to get users to remove those manually by making custom scripts for their browsers.
There are tips for addressing some of this, at least if you're using a browser on a desktop computer:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/index-xda-2021-how-to-navigate-the-new-site.4197775/post-84044801
Admittedly, it's quite a bug hunt if you aren't inspired to search for "minimize" ("collapse" was my first choice, then "left panel", then "left sidebar").

Reactions: IronTechmonkey

MR4Y

Apr 25, 2012
Araras - SP
There are tips for addressing some of this, at least if you're using a browser on a desktop computer:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/index-xda-2021-how-to-navigate-the-new-site.4197775/post-84044801
Admittedly, it's quite a bug hunt if you aren't inspired to search for "minimize" ("collapse" was my first choice, then "left panel", then "left sidebar").
Unfortunatelly, clicking that hamburger thing doesn't do anything on my end, so not a solution for me and that doesn't get rid of the right panel either.

I don't have those 4K quad wide screens people that did this forum layout are using. I don't have space to spare.

Reactions: J.Michael

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
Unfortunatelly, clicking that hamburger thing doesn't do anything on my end, so not a solution for me and that doesn't get rid of the right panel either.

I don't have those 4K quad wide screens people that did this forum layout are using. I don't have space to spare.
I had never used the hamburger thing. I thought I had read that tapping it opened a menu, and somewhere in that menu was a choice about displaying the left panel. When I tapped it last night, instead of opening a menu it just made the left panel disappear.

See if you can fiddle your browser settings: Instead of "scale content so whole page is displayed", try to find settings so you only see what fits in the window, and you have to use the horizontal scroll bar to see more. Then, most of your window will be useful.

Also, check into Toggle Screen Width setting -- it's a forum setting that (slightly) increases how much of the window is used for the forum posts.

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
How to search within a thread?
Is that not yet available?

pndwal

Jun 23, 2016
Sydney
The mobile app is in Valhalla again. I don't know when it stopped working, I just know I wanted to use it last Friday and it does not show anything now (just a white screen).
Had this recently too. Clearing cache doesn't restore; need to clear data 🙁.

Lose dark mode randomly (several times) in App too... PW

ipdev

Feb 14, 2016
with these questions of thread search, I would like to make a request.

* The search function should default to "this thread" and not "Everywhere"
It is on the list.

Nice-to-Haves/Requests: Post # 3 - Link
# 14. Make the forum search default to in-thread.

The search function should actually be changed to default to the area you are in.

Most of the time, a user will be in the area they want to search.
- If you are in a specific thread, Search should default to This thread.
- If you are if a specific forum, Search should default to This forum.
- Same with Everywhere, Threads, Forums and devices.

This way, it becomes an option to expand the search area if needed.
Not a required step when searching inside a forum, thread, ...

Cheers all. :cowboy: