Welcome to XDA 2021!

woodman

Senior Moderator / RC-RT & Moderator Committees
Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
approved by svetius
But "approved" does not necessarily mean it is an official list and everything will be fixed and implemented. These are more like a bug report and a feature request lists filled thanks to all of us, xda users.

XF devs should be able to pick things from there depending on priorities and xda owners' will.

is this our (ie user) list
This ^^

tiho5

Jun 21, 2010
Bulgaria

Oswald Boelcke

Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Staff member
Apr 13, 2016
Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA
en.wikipedia.org
My Added Post Title

There is a title for threads but not for posts on XF as far as I know, or I missed something 🤔
Absolutely correct.
I believe he is referring to this post that appears to be a reply to a post with a title.
It's just appearance like the "title" of my post.

woodman

Senior Moderator / RC-RT & Moderator Committees
Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
But why isn't anybody doing anything on the site for so many weeks already?
I can assure you that they are working, but they do in the background. All this is a very long process unfortunately...
What is the point of keeping us reporting the same things over and over again?
I agree there would be no point, so that means things will happen but here again we just need to be patient.
People remain with the feeling that this is going to be the final version/state of XDA site
That won't be the final version and I can assure you this 100%. We just don't know the pace of updates. It's a big machine to take care of.

Oswald Boelcke

Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Staff member
Apr 13, 2016
Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA
en.wikipedia.org
Yes, Oswald is right ^, the title there is added on top as part of the post itself. Just an illusion
And maybe we shouldn't forget that post titles were only visible in the desktop vBulletin browser version but never in a mobile application like XDA Labs. For this reason, XDA users who knew this always added their post title to their actual post content, quite often in bold chars as I did above. Personally, I don't recognise any added value if post titles were possible under XenForo.

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
Missing Post Title Workaround

How to I set the post title?
There is a title for threads but not for posts on XF as far as I know, or I missed something 🤔
I believe he is referring to this post that appears to be a reply to a post with a title.
It's just appearance like the "title" of my post.
Yes, Oswald is right ^, the title there is added on top as part of the post itself. Just an illusion
Lol, I never dreamed that my XDA XenForo's missing post title feature workaround would get so much press coverage.

Personally, I don't recognise any added value if post titles were possible under XenForo.
I do it because it attracts the attention to the post & also for usability because having it makes skimming the thread faster as you can overlook a post on a subject that does not interest you instead of reading more of it in regular font size.

And vice versa if you are indeed interested in the subject. 🤪

Here's the magician's trick:

Code:
[B]Missing Post Title Workaround[/B]
Or in WYSIWYG select then Bold the text.

Last edited:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Toooooo many people to quote. I am surprised how many posts/responses that question generated.

The thing that really brought it too my attention was the explicit "Search Titles Only" in the search drop down. Clearly from the above posts, I am not missing anything and titles are only for threads. It was a case that I could not believe the option had its own checkbox, for such a minor feature ie thread title not posts which are 000's of times more common.

In the old forum, I had a habbit of using/abusing post titles, but tried to remember that I think the XDA phone app didn't display the title., so posts would appear to be missing their context.

And further thoughts on this topic, makes me wonder what happened in the conversion from the old forum, to the old post titles?

Reactions: ipdev

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
When viewing a post with a loooong quote, the desktop interface limits the quote size, and has a "Click to expand" hot-spot at the bottom of the limited quote.

Is there any place to click to shrink it again? ie undo the expand?

J.Michael

Jan 20, 2018
From my little Googling, Xenforo *does* have titles for posts. They are enabled for a thread by the owner / moderator. Maybe the owner / moderator has to first be empowered by a sysadmin. (I stopped Googling as soon as I decided it was not just a matter of me not knowing the correct spelling of the [title] tag.

Milkman725

Nov 3, 2020
Just an update on this. I am copying all DevDB downloads as I speak to a new server. After the download is done, I'll install h5ai or something so that these files can be downloaded. I'll probably also set up some system so a filename can be searched.

Hi, any update on the progress? Right now im in need of a file thats only available in devdb, no copies of it was ever released/archived outside of xda devdb

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
Post Titles From Old XDA & Lost Thanks

...makes me wonder what happened in the conversion from the old forum, to the old post titles?
As you can see in the old right sidebar Most Thanked/Thread Search widget screenshot, the post's title was in bold in the snippet & that's was one of the reasons why I used them.

I happen to often save a copy of the posts I make in a .txt doc and I know that for this post my title was "Bug Squashing: Display accepts touch input while off" while the body of the post started with "Good news, in the Display accepts touch..."

As you can see in the link above, the old post's title got merged with the post in the new XDA XenForo & it is automatically bolded.

You can also see that the post had 8 Thanks in the widget and it got lost with the migration and now that post shows zero Likes. 😭

In fact all the old Thanks in that thread for all users & all posts got lost with the migration. :eek:

Most_Thanked_S5_2020-11-30_8-6-6-6.png

I really miss that widget & hope that @bitpushr still has it on his to-do list. 🙏

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Post Titles From Old XDA & Lost Thanks
....snip...
You can also see that the post had 8 Thanks in the widget and it got lost with the migration and now that post shows zero Likes. 😭

In fact all the old Thanks in that thread for all users & all posts got lost with the migration. :eek:
Thanks for having an example showing the titles were not lost on migration. (y)

Another "out of interest" thing now is, if your individual thanks were lost, did you by any chance see a drop in your total thank count on migration, since the source of the thanks were lost?

sronweb

Jul 25, 2010
Sicily
I understand the need to migrate to newer platform (from vBulletin) but I hope that the forum administrators and developers will consider to allow access to XDA forum via some forum aggregator (as it was before with Tapatalk). I don't see reason to install an app for each forum I follow, sorry for me it's a non-sense. I follow several forums on internet and if each forum decide to have own app, would be more fragmentation and difficult to follow. At the moment I just read via a web browser via mobile (Firefox). I hope for a more efficient solution. Is there any aggregator for XenForo? Thanks

curiousrom

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2011
Costa Rica
www.reddit.com
Total Likes After Migration & Tapatalk?

...if your individual thanks were lost, did you by any chance see a drop in your total thank count on migration, since the source of the thanks were lost?...
No. 🤷‍♂️

...I hope that the forum administrators and developers will consider to allow access to XDA forum via some forum aggregator (as it was before with Tapatalk...
Tapatalk support is gone & ain't coming back AFAIK. Besides the fact that it was slowing down the XDA servers see this post for other reasons: Re: Adios Tapatalk?

Last edited: