[CLOSED] Welcome to XDA 2021!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
My problem is in submitting a Search: In landscape orientation, if I click the Search text box, the keyboard will not stay open -- it opens, then closes itself. I can click the magnifying glass to open the dialog box. Choosing "This Thread" does no good: I can't type a search string because the keyboard won't stay open; if I go to Advanced, "This Thread" is not an option, and choosing "This Thread" in the dialog box before going to Advanced does not make the search submitted from Advanced a "This Thread" search. In portrait orientation, the keyboard will stay open, but the gear wheel will not open the dialog box, so I can't choose "This Thread".
are you referring to the browser? I can't get a thread search option at all for the new app..

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
Is there any way I can pay money to stop getting all of the ads on this new site?

This new-and-improved forum software has new-and-improved ways to put up intrusive, annoying advertisements. I understand the need for the site to generate revenue, and I am gladly willing to pay some sort of ongoing fee to keep these ads out of my life.

I can't find any pay-for-an-ad-free-experience options here, but I'm hoping that I'm missing something.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

Is there any way I can pay money to stop getting all of the ads on this new site?

This new-and-improved forum software has new-and-improved ways to put up intrusive, annoying advertisements. I understand the need for the site to generate revenue, and I am gladly willing to pay some sort of ongoing fee to keep these ads out of my life.

I can't find any pay-for-an-ad-free-experience options here, but I'm hoping that I'm missing something.

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

I posted that already:

How can I get the ad-free version of XDA?

Pls., is there anybody that can give me some information on this subject?

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
I posted that already:
I'm sorry for missing your earlier post. I'm still getting used to the software here and I overlooked it.

I got another message elsewhere which referred me to uBlock origin. It apparently can hide ads without fully blocking them and therefore, without preventing XDA from getting the revenue. I will check that out, but ideally, I'd rather just pay XDA for an ad-free version of this site.

I'm sorry for missing your earlier post. I'm still getting used to the software here and I overlooked it.

I got another message elsewhere which referred me to uBlock origin. It apparently can hide ads without fully blocking them and therefore, without preventing XDA from getting the revenue. I will check that out, but ideally, I'd rather just pay XDA for an ad-free version of this site.

I totally agree with you ...

Yes, I am using a browser. Several browsers on Android tablet, all have this problem. One browser on Windows desktop, no particular problem.
I can't speak to how it works on the browser as I'm using a forced version of firefox (they borked the new version) however if it's not allowing you to select 'this thread' etc then it's likely your device doing that weird fullscreen keyboard crap a lot of them do. I just installed and tested firefox beta and it worked for me. that's why I tend to think it might be device focused? what keyboard are you using? and device?

Dayuser

Recognized Contributor
Jun 26, 2016
Finland
Moto G7 Power
Missing all symbols and loading is slow. Logging out and clear cookies but problem is still here. Win10 Edge Browser

XDAForum.jpg

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
I can't speak to how it works on the browser as I'm using a forced version of firefox (they borked the new version) however if it's not allowing you to select 'this thread' etc then it's likely your device doing that weird fullscreen keyboard crap a lot of them do. I just installed and tested firefox beta and it worked for me. that's why I tend to think it might be device focused? what keyboard are you using? and device?
When it works: There is a pop-up dialog box with a dropdown with choices, one of which is "This Thread". That is the only place I've seen to limit a search to the current thread.

In three browsers on an Android tablet, in portrait orientation, there is no text box on the top line of the page. There is a magnifying glass. Tap the glass, the top line gets rewritten to <"X"><text box><gear wheel>. Tap the text box, the keyboard opens, but no dialog box. Tap the gear wheel, nothing happens.

When I say I can't select "This Thread", I don't mean it shows the option in a dropdown but doesn't recognize my tapping on it. I don't mean I see the collapsed dropdown, but can't get it to open. I mean I do not get the dialog box, so I do not see any way to limit the search to a single thread.

I do not recognize the reference to "weird fullscreen keyboard crap".

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A, Android 9. My "keyboard" is the pop-up, on-screen, touch keyboard that came with the system, so maybe Samsung, maybe Google. The keyboard is the full "width" of the screen, and half the "height".

Reactions: curiousrom

J.Michael

Recognized Contributor
Jan 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
Search Workaround 2:
  • hold tablet in landscape orientation
  • tap Search text box to open dialog box
  • select "This thread"
  • use "Edit", or "Reply", or just scroll down to the Reply box at the bottom of the page
  • tap in text area to open keyboard
  • tap in Search text box to change focus
  • type search string
  • hit enter

• Sad
Reactions: osm0sis

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
@svetius
Could please .jar, .ttf, .json also be added? (possible list not exhaustive)

☕😊
Added .xml to allowed uploads.

Testing animated gifs
@svetius @bitpushr

Something seems broken with uploading shell scripts. Old xda used to allow them as long as they were renamed from .sh (I usually did .sh.txt), but XenForo xda seems to somehow still recognize them as shell (even with no ".sh" in the filename at all) and rejects them.

This is a developer forum, with shell scripts being a big part of Android hacking and modifications, can whatever shell script detect-and-reject function XenForo has be disabled? I just lost 3 scripts from my Odds thread attachments trying to upload new versions of them... 😒

Last edited:

osm0sis

Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
Reactions: mrrocketdog
I think (1) is actually fixed, technically. I believe the remaining OP editing issues are actually the CAPTCHA issue listed at (16), and not related to it being former DevDB anymore.

But your # 16 does not mention editing OP's. I don't have any problems posting & editing other posts in threads using the WYSIWYG editor.

16. CAPTCHA from editing posts triggers an Oops error; disabling the WYSIWYG editor as in (1) apparently works around it some of the time

osm0sis

Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
But your # 16 does not mention editing OP's. I don't have any problems posting & editing other posts in threads using the WYSIWYG editor.
It doesn't need to, it mentions posts, and OPs are posts.... the CAPTCHA issue affects OPs and regular posts alike, my AIK Build Farm post in the middle of my Odds thread for example. While OPs may be more affected, it's a broader issue than just OPs, so it's worded that way for a reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts