well, I killed my surface RT...now how can I restore it...

Search This thread

ofoe2

Jun 16, 2010
Accra
did anyone have success with this?

My surface is stuck on Surface screen, no spinning icon, I have tried to boot into receovery with a usb but I wonder if I am doing something wrong...

I copied a Recovery iso file from another surface rt which I found online and copied directly to the usb. Should this work? Does usb need a particular file system to use(fat32?)

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
did anyone have success with this?

My surface is stuck on Surface screen, no spinning icon, I have tried to boot into receovery with a usb but I wonder if I am doing something wrong...

I copied a Recovery iso file from another surface rt which I found online and copied directly to the usb. Should this work? Does usb need a particular file system to use(fat32?)

You cant just copy an ISO file. You need to use a drive imaging tool (which will completely reformat the USB too)

ofoe2

Jun 16, 2010
Accra
Ok Thanks for feedback. I made a recovery USB using a friend's US Surface RT but still couldn't get device to boot from USB.

Anything I am missing?

xWolf13

Jul 6, 2012
Can a downgrade 8.1 to 8.0 if I use somebody's ISO with 8.0?

Sent from my Blaze/HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta(using both :D)

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
I'm not sure if anyone has tried it, I havent, I dont see why not though.

pumaa

Apr 4, 2009
Can a downgrade 8.1 to 8.0 if I use somebody's ISO with 8.0?

Sent from my Blaze/HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta(using both :D)

Yes it is working. I did it. I cameback to 8.0 booting from the usb, format to fat32 !! And it work well i just copy the files from the iso. At the beginning it didn't work but i change 3 time of usb key and it finally worked. I have no idea why some sticks are booting proprely and other not. I advise you to try with different usb key

Last edited:

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Yes it is working. I did it. I cameback to 8.0 booting from the usb, format to fat32 !! And it work well i just copy the files from the iso. At the beginning it didn't work but i change 3 time of usb key and it finally worked. I have no idea why some sticks are booting proprely and other not. I advise you to try with different usb key

I think its more likely that it failed because you did it wrong.

You shouldnt be copying the files from the ISO onto a FAT32 USB. Your supposed to use a drive imaging tool to burn the ISO to the USB and create a bootable "disk" that way.

If it does work the copy files way, well, thats a good thing I guess but it is wrong.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
ISOs are in UDF, a file system that (while you *can* use it on a flashdrive) makes no particular sense there. I have been using drive mounting tools or 7-Zip (which can open ISOs) to simply copy files onto a prepared bootable flashdrive for years; it works fine. You do have to prepare the drive (repartition, reformat, mark Active) before copying, but it works.

wltklah

Jul 29, 2011
Urbana
Do I require to use the ISO from the same storage model? like 64g Surface RT's ISO to restore my 64G Surface RT?

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Reactions: jasonmsn

Trig0r

Jun 19, 2007
I currently have en-GB and en-US images, as and when people send me recovery images of other versions I will stick them on the FTP server (UK, 20Mb, plenty of space)

Reactions: foredec

ke1n p1an

Nov 9, 2012
install win rt from cmd?

hi guys,
as some other people here I killed my surface rt when it just crashed during recovery.
Now a blue screen right after the surface logo greats me saying that the Boot configuration Data is missing or broken.
error code: 0xC000000F
Luckyli I Have a working usb recovery image that can boot but when I use the recovery funktion of it it just stops somewhere in the middle without giving an error message.
When i use bootrec in recovery cmd from the usb stick it says that windows wasnt found...
is there a way to completly install windows rt again from the cmd of the usb stick?

And i know i can "just" send it to microsoft to get a replacement but microsoft just claims I am out of warranty for some reason(wich is not true!!). After 2 weeks they still havent found the error in the system that switched me from "warranty" to "no screw you" and they cant even give me a reason why my warranty is extinguished...... bad support for stuff i paid nearly 600€.

Sorry for my bad english and thanks in advance.

~Ryan~

May 30, 2014
How-To Recover Your Surface RT

Requirements:
1) An extra computer
2) A USB with any storage greater than 3 GB

STEPS:
1) Plug in your USB & go to softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Surface-RT-Recovery-Image.shtml (It is a safe download, I used it myself to downgrade)
2) Extract it to your USB (If your USB has anything in it, you have to remove those files)
3) Wait for it to finish extracting
4) Unplug the USB
5) Plug it into your Surface
6) Hold down Power + Volume Down until you see the Surface splash screen
7) Wait for it to load, then select your language and your keyboard type
8) If it asks for a "BitLocker Passcode", a copy of it is saved on your Microsoft Account.
9) Click on 'Advanced Options' (?).
10) Click on 'Reset'
11) Wait until it is done wiping the computer, and then...
12) Configure your device (customize, connect to a network, etc...)
13) DO WHATERVER YOU WANT WITH IT!!!
14) Thank me if it works (PLZ)
Hope it worked! :D

Bahia info

Jul 30, 2018
4 years and 2 months later this post still works . Worked like a charm. After 3 days of hunting for a solution this was the best.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After fighting to solve the problem, trying multiple methods, finally I managed to resolve and fix the "boot loop" problem. The following is the step-by-step guide.

1) Go into Advance Mode

2) Select Command Prompt

3) On the command prompt, typed: chkdsk c: /r /f <enter>
    This is to make sure you don't have problem with the storage

4) Change to C drive, typed: c: <enter>

5) Rename the Windows folder to Windows.old, typed: ren windows windows.old <enter>

6) Turned off the Surface and turned it back on

7) Initially, your surface will try to "Auto repair", it will fail and allow you go into advance mode.

8) Select the Advance mode -> Reset PC

9) Follow the on-screen instruction, you should be able to get your Surface back in about 50 mins.

Enjoy! If it does help, remember to click "thanks"
    There should be some way of making a recovery USB...

There is.

Desktop > Control Panel > System and Security > File History.

Tap "Recovery" at the bottom of the left pane, and you'll find an option to "Create a Recovery Drive."

It copies the Recovery Partition to a flash drive and makes the flash drive bootable for using in the Advanced Startup option.
    How-To Recover Your Surface RT

Requirements:
    1) An extra computer
    2) A USB with any storage greater than 3 GB

STEPS:
    1) Plug in your USB & go to softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Surface-RT-Recovery-Image.shtml (It is a safe download, I used it myself to downgrade)
    2) Extract it to your USB (If your USB has anything in it, you have to remove those files)
    3) Wait for it to finish extracting
    4) Unplug the USB
    5) Plug it into your Surface
    6) Hold down Power + Volume Down until you see the Surface splash screen
    7) Wait for it to load, then select your language and your keyboard type
    8) If it asks for a "BitLocker Passcode", a copy of it is saved on your Microsoft Account.
    9) Click on 'Advanced Options' (?).
    10) Click on 'Reset'
    11) Wait until it is done wiping the computer, and then...
    12) Configure your device (customize, connect to a network, etc...)
    13) DO WHATERVER YOU WANT WITH IT!!!
    14) Thank me if it works (PLZ)
    Hope it worked! :D
    If you can boot from a USB key some way, I could make an ISO of the recovery partition for you.
    D
    Deleted member 1277061
    I wonder if you can make a recovery USB stick and then erase the recovery partition and expand the main partition to get those 4-5gbs back...

I made one. here you go.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aoj0lyb6jm2uffl/recoveryUSB.rar