We're getting Lollipop 5.0

Darkimmortal

Sep 21, 2010
So as promised, a subjective comparison between this and CM12:

• Longer standby battery life with Stamina Mode than with DS Battery Saver, plus far better app whitelisting. CM12 rarely managed longer than 2-3 weeks (or barely 1 week without DS Battery Saver), whereas Stamina Mode seems to be just as effective as it was on Sony's KitKat firmware and allows standby of 6-8+ weeks.
  • Very slightly less responsive than CM12, but not enough to be a deal breaker. Animations are equally smooth.
  • More free RAM than CM12 - without any debloating other than using a different keyboard and launcher, with no apps running it is ~200-300MB used, while CM12 was 400+MB.
  • Less free storage than CM12 - Sony firmwares are much larger

I'll be sticking with Sony's Lollipop, mainly due to the battery life and bravia engine/clearaudio+ (as my primary use for the tablet is watching video content)

Reactions: AsgardCurse

me4tux

May 9, 2009
San Francisco, CA
is it worth the upgrade ?

Looks like the date for the US XTZ wifi is noted as 2015/05/29 .

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiatabletzwifi/software/

You may already have the latest software, depending on the date of purchase. Software updates are released at different times depending on operator and/or country. Therefore, we cannot give you an exact date for when a specific update will be available for your device.

Android version: Android 5.0 (Lollipop)
Latest available software: 10.6.A.0.454
Release started: 2015-05-29

Anyone in the USA getting this OTA yet?

And, it's still not clear to me if the upgrade is worth it compared to 4.3 ? 4.3's battery life is amazing, but I really would like the feature that can transfer content over to the SD card. I wish we can backport that feature from Lollipop over to 4.3. Anyone here know how to do that?

Last edited:

warriorking

Sep 7, 2013
Charleston WV
Looks like the date for the US XTZ wifi is noted as 2015/05/29 .

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/xperiatabletzwifi/software/

You may already have the latest software, depending on the date of purchase. Software updates are released at different times depending on operator and/or country. Therefore, we cannot give you an exact date for when a specific update will be available for your device.

Android version: Android 5.0 (Lollipop)
Latest available software: 10.6.A.0.454
Release started: 2015-05-29

Anyone in the USA getting this OTA yet?

And, it's still not clear to me if the upgrade is worth it compared to 4.3 ? 4.3's battery life is amazing, but I really would like the feature that can transfer content over to the SD card. I wish we can backport that feature from Lollipop over to 4.3. Anyone here know how to do that?
Just got it today here In the states and my device is updating as I type...

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Everything went smoothly here in West Virginia and my Tablet Z is running 5.02..
You will be instructed to use your PC for the upgrade..Its about a 1.4 Gig Download..

Reactions: SickBeast

saj222

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Everything went smoothly here in West Virginia and my Tablet Z is running 5.02..
You will be instructed to use your PC for the upgrade..Its about a 1.4 Gig Download..
Which version do you have? 16 or 32?

Mr Paul

Apr 21, 2011
Same rubbish as Samsung here, all the "branded" 311's are getting the update, but the "SIM free" so to speak version has nothing!

Very annoying!

SickBeast

May 15, 2011
I have a US SGP311 on stock rooted 4.4.4 with TWRP. What would be the best way to upgrade to Lollipop? I am assuming I can't just use the PC tool to upgrade since I'm rooted, but I can't really find a stock unrooted image to flash.

Edit: nevermind, forgot about this - http://developer.sonymobile.com/services/flash-tool/
I just tried installing the OTA update directly on the tablet and it failed. It downloaded fine but then it put itself into recovery mode and the blue bar graph barely moved. After that the tablet rebooted itself back into KitKat.

From there I tried doing it using the Sony PC Companion software. It seems to have updated itself beautifully. The tablet stayed completely dark with the screen off throughout the process, but when it was finished I just unplugged the USB cable and powered it on. Right now it's doing its initial boot into Lollipop. I will report back soon if I still have root.

I did not have TWRP or any custom recovery installed if that makes any difference to you. All I had was root. Also, my bootloader is locked.

I'm surprised no one else has posted this information yet. I hope some of you find it useful.

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

Ok so as an update to what I just said, I have lost root access after upgrading to Lollipop. I have to say, though, that I really like the new interface. Browsing in Chrome seems much more fluid and responsive as well. Thanks Sony!

Rozamar

Nov 7, 2012
Chack if they didnt activate smart rotation, works kinda bad with my z3.

Also plz say if they added the feature... Think it will be good for tablets

Sent from my D6603

detonation

Jan 20, 2010
Wisconsin
I have a US SGP311 on stock rooted 4.4.4 with TWRP. What would be the best way to upgrade to Lollipop? I am assuming I can't just use the PC tool to upgrade since I'm rooted, but I can't really find a stock unrooted image to flash.

Edit: nevermind, forgot about this - http://developer.sonymobile.com/services/flash-tool/
Figured I'd follow up as well. The official sony flashtool was detecting my device as the UK version (which doesn't have LP yet) for some reason. So instead I used XperiFirm to download the US firmware and flashtool to create and flash an FTF for it. Up and running with LP now!