What a kick in the teeth! No marshmallow for Z3v.

Search This thread

Tigerhoods

Sep 25, 2015
Portland
If we can't even get lollipop, why on earth would you expect marshmallow? Not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to be realistic.
Agreed this 509 firmware is stagefright patched and was built like 5 weeks ago and its 5.0.2 I think this is all were getting and since the Z4v is no longer coming out I belive 5.0.2 is the end of the road for the Z3v. This 509 firmware is good though.

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
I can understand your frustration, but I wouldn't take it for 100% that Sony is intentionally excluding the Z3V... They will probably send the marshmallow firmware to Verizon, and because of that, we'll probably never receive it unless we get a lucky leak, but I doubt that because I don't think it'll even be a candidate for Internal Testing as I'm sure Verizon plans to push Lollipop, fulfill their year old promises, and be done with their EOL device.. so even if Sony does send them the firmware, Verizon is most likely going to sit on it until it's buried... But you have to think with articles like these, even if they are press statements from Sony, it's still likely that they could leave out the Z3V unintentionally because even though its a variant of the Z3, by saying the Z3 is getting the update, they could be collectively including the Z3V along with that... but either way, I agree that we'll most likely never get this update, and that sucks.... But I do think Verizon is going to give us the latest Lollipop for sure.... There's no reason not to jump it to 5.1.1 if Sony gave them the firmware, it's not a major update... I think they just wanted a solid Lollipop build in "testing" (an intentional leak out there to collect usage stats from people bold enough to flash it) with stagefright patches, etc to make sure they had a solid build before putting the finishing touches on the firmware. There is a different Kernel in the .509 version than the .485, as well as some other interesting differences that make me think they're gearing it for the latest Lolllipop... and really as long as we get that with working VOLTE.... I can be happy enough with that.

Reactions: AddictedToGlass

Tigerhoods

Sep 25, 2015
Portland
I can understand your frustration, but I wouldn't take it for 100% that Sony is intentionally excluding the Z3V... They will probably send the marshmallow firmware to Verizon, and because of that, we'll probably never receive it unless we get a lucky leak, but I doubt that because I don't think it'll even be a candidate for Internal Testing as I'm sure Verizon plans to push Lollipop, fulfill their year old promises, and be done with their EOL device.. so even if Sony does send them the firmware, Verizon is most likely going to sit on it until it's buried... But you have to think with articles like these, even if they are press statements from Sony, it's still likely that they could leave out the Z3V unintentionally because even though its a variant of the Z3, by saying the Z3 is getting the update, they could be collectively including the Z3V along with that... but either way, I agree that we'll most likely never get this update, and that sucks.... But I do think Verizon is going to give us the latest Lollipop for sure.... There's no reason not to jump it to 5.1.1 if Sony gave them the firmware, it's not a major update... I think they just wanted a solid Lollipop build in "testing" (an intentional leak out there to collect usage stats from people bold enough to flash it) with stagefright patches, etc to make sure they had a solid build before putting the finishing touches on the firmware. There is a different Kernel in the .509 version than the .485, as well as some other interesting differences that make me think they're gearing it for the latest Lolllipop... and really as long as we get that with working VOLTE.... I can be happy enough with that.
the thought did cross my mind that they would update 509 the rest of the way to 5.1.1 now that stagefright patch is out for z3 5.1.1 because it may be bad for business to have us on firmware we shouldn't have. I don't even care really Verizon made me sick with this shiit I guess I have to get a nexus phone next but I'm not doing that till they firgure out how to but an SD card in a phone. And thank you for your work and getting the ball rolling on Lollipop.

Reactions: AddictedToGlass

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
the thought did cross my mind that they would update 509 the rest of the way to 5.1.1 now that stagefright patch is out for z3 5.1.1 because it may be bad for business to have us on firmware we shouldn't have. I don't even care really Verizon made me sick with this shiit I guess I have to get a nexus phone next but I'm not doing that till they firgure out how to but an SD card in a phone. And thank you for your work and getting the ball rolling on Lollipop.

Thanks so much for the recognition. :) Somehow my leaked FTF of Lollipop was taken down, so I wasn't even sure if people still knew that I was the one that brought us that first Lollipop leak. I'm going to build us an amazing rom too.. I'm just waiting on Verizon to push their official build so that I won't be wasting my time building an outdated rom lol... U know like last time :/

Tigerhoods

Sep 25, 2015
Portland
Thanks so much for the recognition. :) Somehow my leaked FTF of Lollipop was taken down, so I wasn't even sure if people still knew that I was the one that brought us that first Lollipop leak. I'm going to build us an amazing rom too.. I'm just waiting on Verizon to push their official build so that I won't be wasting my time building an outdated rom lol... U know like last time :/
you know are phones should be pretty close to being able to be unlocked by Verizon I was looking on eBay and there are unlocked Z3V's I dont know if they kept the drm keys but anyway once they release the final version..and we get our bootloader unlocked then we can go crazy. (edit)Unless that's a carrier unlock Im not sure if that unlocks the bootloader or if their the same.

Last edited:

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012

FWIW VoLTE is working, for me at least, on .509 so I think we're getting really close to the official release.

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
while your here are you rooted and have you deleted any system apps I'm curious...I know you had advanced calling before on your plan so that part makes sense.

rooted yes, froze a few apps, mostly vzw with tibu but nothing deleted.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

you know are phones should be pretty close to being able to be unlocked by Verizon I was looking on eBay and there are unlocked Z3V's I dont know if they kept the drm keys but anyway once they release the final version..and we get our bootloader unlocked then we can go crazy. (edit)Unless that's a carrier unlock Im not sure if that unlocks the bootloader or if their the same.
I think they mean carrier unlocked, which all vzw phones are now, since like the Galaxy S4. Boot loader and carrier unlock are two completely different things.

1linuxfreak

Aug 5, 2010
If we can't even get lollipop, why on earth would you expect marshmallow? Not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to be realistic.
Just though all the kids on here would like to know that there is a 6.0 release over the 5.1.1, after all numbers mean so much on this forum.
:good:
Didn't mean to kill the thunder of the leaked beta Lollipop.

Tigerhoods

Sep 25, 2015
Portland
Just though all the kids on here would like to know that there is a 6.0 release over the 5.1.1, after all numbers mean so much on this forum.
:good:
Didn't mean to kill the thunder of the leaked beta Lollipop.
I wasn't trying to be rude either I have had this phone for almost a year since it first came out and have received no support for this phone at all I have spent literally hundreds of hours trying to fix this phone myself because verzions incompetence I'm not sure for the reason for the leak or how it happened but I doubt very much we will receive 6.0 and I don't really give a **** I would just like them to realease a Lollipop version so I can have a feature I was promised a year ago -advanced calling. Also quick charge 2.0 is a listed feature- it's not. Verizon = Liars. Look at the Z4v that's a disaster to.

1linuxfreak

Aug 5, 2010
I wasn't trying to be rude either I have had this phone for almost a year since it first came out and have received no support for this phone at all I have spent literally hundreds of hours trying to fix this phone myself because verzions incompetence I'm not sure for the reason for the leak or how it happened but I doubt very much we will receive 6.0 and I don't really give a **** I would just like them to realease a Lollipop version so I can have a feature I was promised a year ago -advanced calling. Also quick charge 2.0 is a listed feature- it's not. Verizon = Liars. Look at the Z4v that's a disaster to.
I am pretty tough skinned, it takes more than what you said to be considered "rude" to me.
I agree B.S. what VZW has done with the Advanced Calling 1.0, I am tired of getting the stepchild phones and VZW keeping us from getting the next OS release due to heavy-handed control. I mean Z3 getting a beta test for Marshmallow, seriously? Maybe the guy who got the leak can get Marshmallow leak, but I would like to have the latest OS if possible and I am sure others will agree.
An AOSP with a unlocked bootloader, I miss those days.

Marea01

Jan 14, 2016
Is this bogus?

Hi I'm new to xda developers forum. Is this site BS that claims to offer a 6.0 rom for Z3v?
Since I'm new, I'm not allowed to share the link but it's from
android-xda.net

AddictedToGlass

Feb 28, 2015
Man it was so great to have the Droid when it first came out. ROM competition was tremendous and you could lead anything you wanted; if you could dream it, someone was already working on it.
I have 4 of those beauts!

Komet1

Oct 6, 2009
Nashville
Man it was so great to have the Droid when it first came out. ROM competition was tremendous and you could lead anything you wanted; if you could dream it, someone was already working on it.
I have 4 of those beauts!

I have a similar experience. My last phone was a Galaxy Nexus, it was an embarrassment of riches as far as being able to modify it. Different ROMs everywhere you looked, modified kernels, etc... Thanks to baldwinguy77 I was running KitKat 3 days after Google introduced it, even before any manufacturers had released phones with it.

The Xperia's lack of popularity with the general public is probably the cause of it's noticeable lack of developer interest. Few devs have one so few work on it.

I really like the phone, it's battery life is second to none. I may have to be satisfied running Lollipop but at least it is rooted so there's that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Did you bother to ask if they can go into more details about the relationship? Does it all end with the Z4v? Will it still continue for the eventual release of the Z5/Z6?

That was all the information he could give me. Paul was his name, in case anyone is curious. I love my Z3v, but there are so many times I needed mobile web while on the phone...
    That was all the information he could give me. Paul was his name, in case anyone is curious. I love my Z3v, but there are so many times I needed mobile web while on the phone...

There's ever a rare chance to contact the same rep you were in touch with. Especially on just a first name basis, there could be hundreds of "Pauls" working at Verizon.

VoLTE is already been out, you just need to update it to Lollipop. You can read my guide for your one way ticket in resolving all the issues by taking less than 10 steps to getting Lollipop and Advanced Calling activated through Verizon afterwards.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone