What a waste these forums have become

Trace.Oneil

Mar 8, 2017
Centurion
It seems nowadays that these forums have become a total waste to anyone if you dont have the latest devices or what help with rooting them. Other than that there is no interest in sharing or helpinp others anymore. I have posts that were posted in various forums,some months ago already and have had absolutely no feedback on them.

What is the point of even posting anything anymore,if nobody out there is bothered to help with advice,sharing files,apk's,mods etc anymore. I am really disappointed that the community in general seems to have just given up on anything other than the latest and greatest.

Reactions: blackhawk

Lowxorx

May 19, 2014
It seems nowadays that these forums have become a total waste to anyone if you dont have the latest devices or what help with rooting them. Other than that there is no interest in sharing or helpinp others anymore. I have posts that were posted in various forums,some months ago already and have had absolutely no feedback on them.

What is the point of even posting anything anymore,if nobody out there is bothered to help with advice,sharing files,apk's,mods etc anymore. I am really disappointed that the community in general seems to have just given up on anything other than the latest and greatest.
The android phone market is a trap that many people fall into. Yesterday, we were buying smarthphones to make them last, and Xda was there to give these phones a second life. But today, people are buying phones because they MUST buy. It's become a fashion accessory, and this consumption pattern has affected the look of the forum. The world of new technologies no longer takes the time to live, unfortunately ...

2ISAB

Jul 20, 2017
Mhz
forum.xda-developers.com

I would like to point out something you may have missed, i could be mistaken. However, this is (my reply) is truly valid.

I have modded smart phones and devices, i usually follow tutorials, Even if i may seem invisible. With that said, yes the infrastructure of technology is to move forward and "keep up'. I believe you missed what xda-developers means.

You don't need to keep up with the trends, afterall it's a decision only you can make.

Maybe you would benefit from buying old devices, and creating your own design. Customised. Just like an artist paints a pucture, inspired by the souroudning.

Please understand that I'm just a menber as you, but using an alternative thought process of what's going on here. I am unbiased, so i basically sit on the fence with everything. But c'mon. I ported andoid 11 on an S2. Unstable, but thats why this place exists. You have provided valuable feedback. I agree on one side, but would never bite the hanf that feeds me. so to speak..

I believe in development and not destruction.

In your case, honestly. if you're happy with it, stick with it.

bitpushr

XDA:Administrator
Mar 26, 2007
www.xda-developers.com

Thank you for your feedback. We are actively working on ways to promote more helping and sharing of content on XDA. If you have any ideas, would love to hear about them!

The issue I have seen over the years is that many people come on XDA looking for it to be a "help site". Many want something for free. But, in order to get, you should give. XDA is about sharing of mobile device knowledge.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are actively working on ways to promote more helping and sharing of content on XDA. If you have any ideas, would love to hear about them!

The issue I have seen over the years is that many people come on XDA looking for it to be a "help site". Many want something for free. But, in order to get, you should give. XDA is about sharing of mobile device knowledge.
Help whores... some too lazy or inept to do Google searches and take the time to sort it out.
After which they vanish*.
Problem with that is to use these devices effectively you must immerse yourself in them to some degree.
This site provides an effective platform to aid that learning curve whatever your end goal is.
Learning from others mistakes is always better than making them yourself...

Both Google and the manufacturers push OS's and hardware platforms in a self serving way which is many times in direct conflict with the end user's best interests. This site helps to provide workarounds for the many issues this creates.
Something for everyone is not a bad thing...

*That's better than the spammers hawking the voodoo wuv🤣

Trace.Oneil

Mar 8, 2017
Centurion
Yes,i agree with your statement. But of late,the help you speak of or learninm from others does not happen anymore. In my specific caseg have posted to various manufacturer forums asking for said help and advice and have got not one reply on any of those forums and topics in question.

Hence my saying that it seems to have become a place where if you dont have the newest available handsets etc,you wont get answers to your questions etc anymore because all the top developers are trying to keep up with the latest Android software releases and the latest camera etc technologies to take the collective community forward,but sadly it is to the detriment of the majority who cannot for whatever reason move forward with them and are stuck using older devices and then as a result dont get any feedback anymore on their questions etc.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Yes,i agree with your statement. But of late,the help you speak of or learninm from others does not happen anymore. In my specific caseg have posted to various manufacturer forums asking for said help and advice and have got not one reply on any of those forums and topics in question.

Hence my saying that it seems to have become a place where if you dont have the newest available handsets etc,you wont get answers to your questions etc anymore because all the top developers are trying to keep up with the latest Android software releases and the latest camera etc technologies to take the collective community forward,but sadly it is to the detriment of the majority who cannot for whatever reason move forward with them and are stuck using older devices and then as a result dont get any feedback anymore on their questions etc.
Part the problem is the thread shows up once in the sea of other threads and quickly gets sunk to the bottom.
It's a busy site. Not sure what can be done expect bumping the thread every few days or whatever.

Separating the rooting, moding, new app threads from general questions might help... or just create more confusion. Probably do more harm than good.
(Edit) Personally I enjoy the cross exposure to other devices and platforms as it increases my knowledge/awareness base.
It's fascinating even if I don't always understand all of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trace.Oneil

oldredduck

Jan 14, 2007
Panningen

Hi, I do understand your frustration, at least part of it. Maybe there wern't that many devolping options on the devices you'r asked for. I als had different devices on witch nowerdays I can't get any Custom Rom in these modern Android 8,9 10 or 11. If I ask a question about here on XDA, don't be suprised I don't get any response. Altough you did get a few answers who pointed you in a direction. Don't blame XDA or there hardworking Devolpers, we all together have founded our consumption world. That's not to blame anyone than your self. I can't get any CustomRom for my very old Samsung S3, who to blame???
Hope you get any help as it seems there less devolping Custom Rom's you asked for.
For Your information GOOGLE is sometimes your friend and you can find what you're looking for.
Have a nice day, stay healty
Regards
Alex (Dutch Cheese)

Last edited:

elliwigy

Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Phoenix
www.sampwnd.com

Lot's of stuff for older devices has been covered. i.e. developers move on to latest devices, they develop, research, post etc. before moving on and at some point that device becomes an "older" device of which info/data already exists..

either way, cant expect everything to be covered as it's impossible. I was at that point once upon a time.. once i realized cant always rely on an experienced dev to be there to answer all my questions is when its great to research and learn on your own.. eventually stuff will become easy and you might have ppl asking u for help.. thats a positive thing about xda and the internet, theres endless knowledge out there if you are patient and willing to learn.

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke

peonpete

Sep 10, 2014
There
The android phone market is a trap that many people fall into. Yesterday, we were buying smarthphones to make them last, and Xda was there to give these phones a second life. But today, people are buying phones because they MUST buy. It's become a fashion accessory, and this consumption pattern has affected the look of the forum. The world of new technologies no longer takes the time to live, unfortunately ...
That, but also the fact that the technology has slowed down quite a bit. It was only a few years ago where most phones would begin to feel slightly sluggish on stock OS after a year of updates...Now? A relative of mine bought a mid range Motorola phone from 2019 and it's fast as can be, game wise it's decent too. The incentive to eek out more "oomph" isn't as high as it used to be - imo.