• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

What am I supposed to do with this?

Search This thread

djx24

Dec 1, 2010
For the record I was an android user a few years ago, switched for an iPhone (not because I wanted) and after a year and a half I'm now Android.
So I bought Moto 360 and Moto G 2nd (since nexus 5 is out of stock) .
After receiving the package here I was thinking about all the cool stuff I can do with a Moto 360.
I planned to do:
- See what time it is without looking at my phone like a retard.
- See my heartbeat while I was running, I use RunKeeper so it would be cool to see the integration.
- See cool apps with this thing.
- Applying a sort-of pomodoro time technique into my work.
- Seeing all soft of reminders from the so called Google now cards.
- Unlocking my phone without writing a NSA-FBI-CIA security code since I am using a Moto 360 the phone could detect the proximity and unlock only by sliding the lock.

Reality check:
- I see what time it is like a normal dude looking at his wrist.
- My heartbeat? Yeah... give me 10 seconds "Ok google what's show me my heartbeat"
- Cool apps? There's a compass app that show you the north where's west... There's a stopwatch that resets to zero if I try to do anything else.
- Pomodoro technique.. There's an app that sorts of do that but I haven't try it yet (because I'm too busy configuring the 10001 options that each Android has)
- I think I'm seeing this although I've to be at my gym at 8:20 PM, it's 8:21PM so... thank you for the reminder.
- No how I was expecting, the device can still be unlocked if the watch is 5 meters away from the device.

Am I the only one that's getting this problems?
Sorry for any engrish mistakes but I have to run for the gym...

Droid9

Jul 3, 2010
For the record I was an android user a few years ago, switched for an iPhone (not because I wanted) and after a year and a half I'm now Android.
So I bought Moto 360 and Moto G 2nd (since nexus 5 is out of stock) .
After receiving the package here I was thinking about all the cool stuff I can do with a Moto 360.
I planned to do:
- See what time it is without looking at my phone like a retard.
- See my heartbeat while I was running, I use RunKeeper so it would be cool to see the integration.
- See cool apps with this thing.
- Applying a sort-of pomodoro time technique into my work.
- Seeing all soft of reminders from the so called Google now cards.
- Unlocking my phone without writing a NSA-FBI-CIA security code since I am using a Moto 360 the phone could detect the proximity and unlock only by sliding the lock.

Reality check:
- I see what time it is like a normal dude looking at his wrist.
- My heartbeat? Yeah... give me 10 seconds "Ok google what's show me my heartbeat"
- Cool apps? There's a compass app that show you the north where's west... There's a stopwatch that resets to zero if I try to do anything else.
- Pomodoro technique.. There's an app that sorts of do that but I haven't try it yet (because I'm too busy configuring the 10001 options that each Android has)
- I think I'm seeing this although I've to be at my gym at 8:20 PM, it's 8:21PM so... thank you for the reminder.
- No how I was expecting, the device can still be unlocked if the watch is 5 meters away from the device.

Am I the only one that's getting this problems?
Sorry for any engrish mistakes but I have to run for the gym...

It looks cool even with a black screen and people will compliment it and ask you about it. That is its best feature. Enjoy.

djx24

Dec 1, 2010
It looks cool even with a black screen and people will compliment it and ask you about it. That is its best feature. Enjoy.

yeah, don't get me wrong. The hardware is OK! The software is bad designed. Moto had the opportunity to be one of the firsts to have this hardware. When Apple Watch gets out it will be absurd to see, once again, Apple gaining popularity.

Droid9

Jul 3, 2010
yeah, don't get me wrong. The hardware is OK! The software is bad designed. Moto had the opportunity to be one of the firsts to have this hardware. When Apple Watch gets out it will be absurd to see, once again, Apple gaining popularity.

Well first of all the hardware is not just OK its by far the best on the market period. Apple's is SQUARE and looks terrible. Only round watches are cool, dumb or smart, so Apple missed the boat big time. Also its not Moto that missed the boat, they didn't really design any of the software, its Google/Android that did. And that will change. But my opinion is who cares? I own the watch and I have to admit its a useless item I never use for anything, not even telling the time. Apple will not succeeded either. It's just not a needed item... kind of like 3D TVs. But its cool to have for now.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
I pretty much got this watch because it looks sweet. I will say having notifications on your wrist is very handy especially when working out not having to lug around a huge phone and washing dishes..things of that sort. But honestly if it didn't look so sweet and futuristic I would never have bought one. I paid $130 for mine so for me a new time piece along with notifications on my wrist is worth the cost. All this extra unreliable stuff it has I could really care less for. I think android wear still needs work even though it is improving. I'm anxious to see what the next gen moto360 brings though.

Droid9

Jul 3, 2010
I pretty much got this watch because it looks sweet. I will say having notifications on your wrist is very handy especially when working out not having to lug around a huge phone and washing dishes..things of that sort. But honestly if it didn't look so sweet and futuristic I would never have bought one. I paid $130 for mine so for me a new time piece along with notifications on my wrist is worth the cost. All this extra unreliable stuff it has I could really care less for. I think android wear still needs work even though it is improving. I'm anxious to see what the next gen moto360 brings though.

My problem with the notifications is they are still silly because you cant be more than 10 feet away from your phone to get them. 90% of the time my phone is in my pocket and I feel it vibrate first and then the watch 2nd. And I never reply on the watch, I mean come on guys how many of you are really walking around saying "OK Google..." to your watch... its awkward, embarrassing, and just doesn't even work very well in almost all situations because of other noise. The voice thing is almost pure novelty and always will be, for Apple too. And I don't think I would ever want to type on my watch even if I could. This is just not a practical, needed device for 99% of the us and in 99% of the situations.

I guess if it had its own data plan so you could leave your phone at home and just use the watch for everything that might help... but would any of you really want to do that??

Last edited:

xRogerxC

Oct 2, 2010
The Seven Seas

How did you get a Moto 360 for $130? Used?

warwagon1979

Jan 8, 2015
I tell people this, is it a have to have Necessity? Absolutely not! But I do find it useful.

I always tell people one particular story which to me, highlights the usefulness of this device.

The second day of owning this watch, my phone was upstairs charging, because it accidentally didn't plugged in correctly the night before. I was downstairs doing my end of the month Quickbooks. All of the sudden I hear my phone go off upstairs telling me that I had a new text message. My first thought is "ah crap, I wonder what that message was" .. but then ... Bzzzzzz .. my watched buzzed on my wrist.

I looked at my wrist and I saw I had a text from a girl I know who works at the local grocery store. She said "We have 3 different types of lettuces for 98 cents."

So then I swiped over and said (with my voice) "Thanks for the heads". BOOM! Done. I was like THAT is so sweet!
I also love the Android wear aware app, that when you leave your phone at home or in a public place, once you get far enough away, your wrist goes nuts telling you you left your phone behind.

One day I was backing out of my driveway. I made it to the street when all of the sudden my wrist started buzzing with a red picture of a phone with a line through it on my watch, telling me I left it inside.

bulbouscorm

Jul 14, 2012
Eugene
  • google play music controls
  • chromecast controls
  • calendar notifications
  • you can just double-tap to open voice control. i hate saying "ok google"
  • google now cards
I'm a heavy user of google services so I find it useful

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
How did you get a Moto 360 for $130? Used?

there was a guy in my area selling a batch of them for $130 a piece. they were probably stolen lol

My problem with the notifications is they are still silly because you cant be more than 10 feet away from your phone to get them. 90% of the time my phone is in my pocket and I feel it vibrate first and then the watch 2nd. And I never reply on the watch, I mean come on guys how many of you are really walking around saying "OK Google..." to your watch... its awkward, embarrassing, and just doesn't even work very well in almost all situations because of other noise. The voice thing is almost pure novelty and always will be, for Apple too. And I don't think I would ever want to type on my watch even if I could. This is just not a practical, needed device for 99% of the us and in 99% of the situations.

I guess if it had its own data plan so you could leave your phone at home and just use the watch for everything that might help... but would any of you really want to do that??

i disagree. like I said sometimes it is much more convenient for instance when I'm working out to not have to whip out my phone to even SEE who it is and if its even worth responding. Or if I leave my phone downstairs by mistake its still nice to get the notification. Plus Like I said, the watch looks sweet so I never feel like I'm being some uber geek by wearing it even its just to get notifications. I can get notifications clear on the opposite side of the gym so I don't have that 10 foot issue. There are also other sms apps like coffee you can get where you don't have to talk to your wrist. that works very well.

At the end of the day if it doesn't work for you just sell it

• google play music controls
  • chromecast controls
  • calendar notifications
  • you can just double-tap to open voice control. i hate saying "ok google"
  • google now cards
I'm a heavy user of google services so I find it useful

TabGuy

Jun 20, 2011
Responding via voice can actually be more discreet than pulling out the phone. I've found that I can put the watch up near my mouth and talk quietly enough that the person sitting next to me can't hear me. I've responded to messages in movie theaters without anyone knowing, not something I could do with my phone.

danielj58

Mar 25, 2009
Hartlepool

You've jumped in at the wrong point I think - I'll be honest the only reason I have one is because I'm a bit of a geek and wanted to be able to say to my grandkids "I was one of the first..." It'll be interesting to see how the Apple Watch pans out, right now it looks like it's just going to be a fashion accessory (hey isn't that what all Apples are though..) (he types into this macbook).

As for the voice thing, I use it all the time. I get some funny looks but most of the time (especially amongst 30+ year old people) I tend to get looks of amazement and often "did you really just talk to your watch?" type statements. My biggest gripe with it is that if my phone is within listening distance, it too starts to do what I've asked it, which is pretty annoying. Google had the foresight to "mute phone when android wear device is connected" but not to stop listening when I'm talking to my watch..?

Other than that, it's a complete gimmick, all be it a pretty one. I do get more use out of notifications on my wrist than I thought I would, and having something on my person that auto locks/unlocks my mac and phone is pretty sweet, but beyond that... Also, somewhat annoyingly, I have an app that's supposed to buzz if it disconnects from my phone/tablet. Fool be me. I lost my tablet on a train :mad: (totally my fault but still)

I've all but given up on the heartbeat sensor too, it really doesn't like sweat.

Von Ropen

Apr 19, 2009
Murcia
When the first mobiles out market, long time ago there was no people talking with a mobile on the street and most people feel that this was embarrassing... But today it's normal to call on streets... Same happens with moto 360 in near future say ok Google or tell something to the watch will be normal... We ar pioneers... It is cool to reply a menssage while driving, or make a call while you are driving without taking the phone... It is cool to receive notifications on moto... But if someone feel that moto is not cool much better to sell it than wear it and complain...

nielsbrakel1998

Dec 23, 2014
Amersfoort
About the embrasing stuff my friends are already used to it and find it cool! It is a great convorsatiom starter and just resopning with voice when in class is amazing (phone's are forbidden in class) so why do you care to get straigers looking at you like wuth is he doing? You will never see them again so there is no problem for me.

And it is amazing to withness the growth of a new kind of technologie I love every update to see what they inproved