What Android 3.1 DIDN'T Fix!

Search This thread

scotty1024

Mar 26, 2009
Still no sdcard slot!
Still no USB On-The-Go memory device support (we have USB joystick support but still no memory devices)

I haven't tried abusing the Camera Connection Kit yet to see if I can use a camera as a memory card reader.

slack04

May 4, 2010
Still no sdcard slot!
Still no USB On-The-Go memory device support (we have USB joystick support but still no memory devices)

I haven't tried abusing the Camera Connection Kit yet to see if I can use a camera as a memory card reader.

The SD card is a motorola issue, not a google issue. This has been pointed out in many, many forums.

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
what about Linux connection via usb. Can anyone confirm if this has been fixed?

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
It's never been a problem. 3.x and higher use MTP so they can stop using FAT32 for internal storage. Linux does MTP just fine. What are you talking about?

why was this method needed? Xoom will not show up as a drive, unless you do this. Where as with the Droid X, once plugged in, it showed up as a drive. I hope this makes sense.

jdclucidly

Dec 9, 2008
why was this method needed? Xoom will not show up as a drive, unless you do this. Where as with the Droid X, once plugged in, it showed up as a drive. I hope this makes sense.

USB Mass Storage is the old method and it shows up as a drive. The Droid X is older than the Xoom therefore it is using USB Mass Storage.

MTP is Media Transfer Protocol and is the method used by 3.0 and higher.

How is it that you're using Linux and you don't understand this stuff?

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
USB Mass Storage is the old method and it shows up as a drive. The Droid X is older than the Xoom therefore it is using USB Mass Storage.

MTP is Media Transfer Protocol and is the method used by 3.0 and higher.

How is it that you're using Linux and you don't understand this stuff?

really? you cant just answer the question? maybe im new to linux. maybe im dual booting. If you dont want to answer, don't. No need to for the rude responses.

laredo7mm

Jun 29, 2007
The SD card is a motorola issue, not a google issue. This has been pointed out in many, many forums.

Hmmm, from Android Honeycomb 3.1 Details ...

...Android 3.1 still isn’t intended, at the operating system level, for managing external storage devices. This detail, which came out in conversations I had with Google engineers today, explains why the Android file system organization is, well, a mess...

“We don’t want to expose the user to file locations,” explained Hiroshi Lockheimer, director of engineering at Google. “How do you manage that as a user? The not-good answer is with the file browser.” Lockheimer says that many of the experiences I’ve seen so far are what individual hardware manufacturers have enabled, as opposed to what Google has provided natively. The good thing is that Lockheimer says Google is looking at ways to do this; but the problem hasn’t been solved yet...

Dubar

Feb 27, 2011
Lakeland, FL
I still dont understand why they havent added (or, in fact, have removed) the "clear all" button in notifications. If I download more than 2 files it really annoys me. (I'm OCD about unchecked notifications)

Just-in-time

Nov 4, 2010
really? you cant just answer the question? maybe im new to linux. maybe im dual booting. If you dont want to answer, don't. No need to for the rude responses.

He did answer you. The xoom uses mtp which will not show up as a drive in Linux unlike older android which used mass storage. Mtp allows you to add files with out having to unmount the file system on the xoom. There are many threads on how to set mtp up. If you're new to Linux it may seem hard to do but its simple. Do a Google search for mounting xoom Ubuntu and you should find them easy.

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
He did answer you. The xoom uses mtp which will not show up as a drive in Linux unlike older android which used mass storage. Mtp allows you to add files with out having to unmount the file system on the xoom. There are many threads on how to set mtp up. If you're new to Linux it may seem hard to do but its simple. Do a Google search for mounting xoom Ubuntu and you should find them easy.

Thank you. And i meant answer without the snide remark. Thanks again for explaining.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

crackmulah

Apr 11, 2011
i know just what you mean, however i quite enjoy having the (X)s to click to get rid of them. I would like to see a slide to delete in the notifications aswell

lanternca

Oct 15, 2010
I still dont understand why they havent added (or, in fact, have removed) the "clear all" button in notifications. If I download more than 2 files it really annoys me. (I'm OCD about unchecked notifications)

totally agree. there are lots of things i understand why they're waiting, but this? come on. i could clear all on my phone.

stevebakh

Apr 30, 2011
I just want to clear up a misconception about MTP. It is not a cross platform solution for transferring files.

My post from another thread on the subject:

I can mount my Xoom in linux using libmtp and mtpfs, however, it's slow, kludgy, and generally feels like it will flake out at any moment. Additionally, even when it's mounted, I can't seem to copy music across properly; it doesn't keep the folder structure. In fact, the directories are created and any non audio files are copied across fine, but every mp3/audio file is flatly dropped into the Music directory.

I tried to copy some music onto it from my fiancee's windows xp laptop and it worked ok (though the album art didn't appear).

The move away from mass storage to MTP is a massive disappointment for me. Mass storage has always been a big selling point for me when purchasing a device and for Google to switch to using a Windows specific protocol and consider it cross platform is a big letdown. MTP on mac requires a special app and on linux, support is dire, certainly for anything more complex than simply pulling images from a camera.

I can just about get files onto the xoom, but I can't load music onto it; all of my mp3s just land up in the top level of the Music directory, regardless of how I attempt to transfer the files. I think transferring a zip file of the music and unzipping from within a file manager on the xoom might do the trick, but this isn't a good, workable solution. I understand the reasoning behind MTP, but it most certainly isn't cross platform and shouldn't be mentioned as a working solution by Google.

Hopefully people will soon realise not to keep insisting that the xoom has linux support when using MTP.

Last edited:

mulletcutter

Jun 6, 2010
GA
New update for drag racing is really choppy, lile playing angry birds on a g1.... but samauri II and the other thd games run smooth...dont kmow if its 3.1 kernel cuz it plays fine on my mytouch4g

XOOM

RadDudeTommy

Feb 27, 2011
I just want to clear up a misconception about MTP. It is not a cross platform solution for transferring files.

My post from another thread on the subject:

I can just about get files onto the xoom, but I can't load music onto it; all of my mp3s just land up in the top level of the Music directory, regardless of how I attempt to transfer the files. I think transferring a zip file of the music and unzipping from within a file manager on the xoom might do the trick, but this isn't a good, workable solution. I understand the reasoning behind MTP, but it most certainly isn't cross platform and shouldn't be mentioned as a working solution by Google.

Hopefully people will soon realise not to keep insisting that the xoom has linux support when using MTP.

Change all the extension names in the song file name to .mp and it will allow the transfer

Then use something of your liking, I use astro file manager, and just add the 3 on the a tail end of the extension.

Its a b, but you can at least get a couple good songs on there.

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011

You're right, it's a cross-platform solution for transferring MEDIA, being the Media Transfer Protocol.

It's smart enough to detect the media files that it supports and put them in the right place. I prefer it over the old way, I hated having to unmount the sdcard every single time.

A poorly made Linux MTP library doesn't make it not cross-platform. It's an open standard for transferring media to USB devices.

It's not perfect, but it's great for a device like the Xoom where unmounting the internal memory is not desirable.

Honestly users get really confused by all of the extra directories when mounting an android sd-card anyways.