What Android phones support video out on headphone jack?

Search This thread

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
It seems like a feature every phone should support.
I would like to have a phone mirror the display to the dvd player in my car, which has composite inputs. 3.5 jack to composite is perfect. it would be nice to have google nav on a big screen, and listening to Pandora at the same time..

Reactions: Captain_Rogers

Gusar321

May 5, 2011
Your post made me curious about it, so I did a bit of searching. It seems the only phone capable of it is international (I guess this means non-US) versions of the Samsung Galaxy S. Then there are some tablets with this ability, particularly from Archos. But phones, it looks like it's only the Galaxy S.

The reason this isn't more widespread is that if a modern phone will go for video out, it'll be HDMI.

Last edited:
Reactions: neh4pres

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
Your post made me curious about it, so I did a bit of searching. It seems the only phone capable of it is international (I guess thing means non-US) versions of the Samsung Galaxy S. Then there are some tablets with this ability, particularly from Archos. But phones, it looks like it's only the Galaxy S.

The reason this isn't more widespread is that if a modern phone will go for video out, it'll be HDMI.

That really is a bummer. I don't think that will work for composite video. I will do some searches, but i think my goal its now doa

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
is it just me, or does this seem like something that could be enabled by a software patch?

You would need a extra pin in the headphone jack.. Beyond that it should be only software. But i have a fascinate and no one has found out how to enable it yet.

Casshern

Mar 3, 2009
You would need a extra pin in the headphone jack.. Beyond that it should be only software. But i have a fascinate and no one has found out how to enable it yet.

Why would you need an extra pin? There are more than enough in a standard plug, to carry a composite video signal.

Would just have to be a clever software package...

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
Pretty sure its hardwired through the headphone amp. Its a hardware thing.. Putting video through a headphone amp would not be desirable. Now, with a 5th pin for video (which my phone has) then yea. Should just take software. But no one has cracked it yet. :(

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
I would like to have a phone mirror the display to the dvd player in my car, which has composite inputs. 3.5 jack to composite is perfect. it would be nice to have google nav on a big screen, and listening to Pandora at the same time..

SGS i9000 has TV out on 3.5 jack you need the same 3.5 to RCA video cable as the one made by Nokia

i've used it before, quality is okay, it's RCA composite (think S-video quality in VHS), so don't expect much, it's not going to look like a USB to HDMI out quality

neh4pres

Nov 22, 2010
SGS i9000 has TV out on 3.5 jack you need the same 3.5 to RCA video cable as the one made by Nokia

i've used it before, quality is okay, it's RCA composite (think S-video quality in VHS), so don't expect much, it's not going to look like a USB to HDMI out quality

I should have stated "Verizon device"lol

The117doctor

Jan 7, 2018
TL;Dr, experiments led to Revelation: only two signals minimum needed.

so I was being weird, and bored, and I actually have a headphone to RCA jack. so what do I do? I send audio through the video port, and I see that the audio actually does cause images on the screen to appear. they may be simple white and black lines, but yea. It still works. the only thing someone needs to do in terms of sending a video to a TV, is recording the screen, converting said screen frame-by-frame into the RCA video code, and then sending that through one of the headphone signals. (Either left or right) and then taking both left and right audio signals, converting them into a mono audio, and then sending it out to the other one. boom! done... I would do this myself, but I Don't have the app-making know-how.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your post made me curious about it, so I did a bit of searching. It seems the only phone capable of it is international (I guess this means non-US) versions of the Samsung Galaxy S. Then there are some tablets with this ability, particularly from Archos. But phones, it looks like it's only the Galaxy S.