What are the alternatives for buying a brand new ZTE Axon 7?

Search This thread

kringlefant

Jun 30, 2020
Hello. I've previously owned the Axon 7 Mini, which unfortunately was run over by a car. It was a nice phone and I especially liked the design and audio capabilities. Nowadays all smartphones look rather dull to me.

What would be the best/cheapest place to buy a new Axon 7? I've found a Chinese site that supposedly sells these. They don't offer the original box, though. Here's a link to the product: (can't seem to post a link but it's on Aliexpress) - thoughts? It's just over 200 dollars there, but a whooping 600 dollars at Amazon.

Questions: With these special ROMs that are circulating, will things like online banking work? I've heard of phones with special ROMs that have problems with certain apps because of security issues...

My understanding is that people can effectively run Android 10 on Axon 7 - that would be neat. If everything works, that is...

Thanks in advance.

RobboW

Jul 5, 2012
Forster, NSW, Australia
As much as I like my Axon 7, things have moved on and I wouldn't buy another.
If you want to do online banking etc, just get something good stock and don't fiddle. Keep it as secure as possible and leave it locked.

I'm contemplating replacing my A7 as I need better battery life. Facebook is using it up too fast now. I did replace the battery and it works fine but I'm wanting something with 4000MAh or better.
I have a work Galaxy S10e and that is quite a good phone but again, that smaller battery is limiting.

If the US wasn't waging war on Huawei I would probably get a Mate or P 30 or similar but now without GAPPS I just won't go there.
Semi seriously looking at alternatives but thinking of going anti China this time. Samsung, LG, ASUS, not sure yet. HTC are pretty much dead and don't seem interested anymore.

kringlefant

Jun 30, 2020
I currently have a Huawei P Smart. I live in Norway btw, so I don't know what this supposed 'war' with Huawei is about.

I especially like the Axon 7 because of the speakers and audio capabilities.

I really would just like a recommendation for where to buy a brand new Axon 7.

RobboW

Jul 5, 2012
Forster, NSW, Australia
Whatever I get after the Axon 7 will have stereo speakers so that cuts down options quite drastically but I certainly wouldn't get another Axon just to keep the speakers. I would mainly want to do it for a big battery but would welcome a bit more processing power, RAM and storage with newer OS as I like to be more up to date on security using Google pay, phone banking etc.

To be honest, the work S10e would be fine if it were slightly wider and have a bigger battery, so maybe I need a S10+?

Last edited:

RobboW

Jul 5, 2012
Forster, NSW, Australia
Oh well, my decision has come. I stumbled upon a great deal on Huawei Mate 20 Pro today. New, unopened in box from store. Lovely phone.
Been doing the updates up to Android 10.
Don't care about rooting etc so no bootloader unlock is of zero concern. My Axon 7 has never been unlocked.

Edit: My Axon 7 was in a drawer. I kept it because of the excellent audio performance and it still worked perfectly well but my eldest daughter needed a phone. Having replaced the battery in it not too long ago it should have a pretty decent life left in it so she has bought it from me.

Good luck with your A7 everyone.

Last edited: