what car mount are you running at the minute with pics please

Search This thread

baldingone

Aug 7, 2012
Columbus, OH
I'm looking for a mount that doesn't require adjusting each time you put your phone on, something that you size up once and then can slide the phone in and out from the top.

I'm about to buy the Proclipusa mount because it seems to be the only option to do what I want, but it is a bit pricey (although not so much compared to other mounts in this thread like the air dock).

Anyone have any other suggestions?

This one stays in place and doesn't move when removing the phone.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Smartphone-Samsung-Motorola-Optimus/dp/B00YAGVWIO

jamgam

Jan 10, 2011
Ram Mount X-Grip. I've got it a long arm bolted to the seat bolt on my truck so the phone sits at about 4 o-clock on the steering wheel. It's closer to me that way and not over by the dash or windshield

veesix

Jul 25, 2010
Bari
Hi guys, I'm using a Stilgut Book Type case for my Nexus 6 http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00U2AQ3HM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
I was about to buy the iOttie Easy One Touch XL, but then I read that my phone could not fit with the flip case. It actually does not add up much width, but the flip is flat while the back of the cover is curved. Also, the volume and power buttons are completely exposed. Would the Easy Wiew 2 be a better choice, or do you have any other suggestion?
Here's a couple pics of my case, thanks in advance :)

edit: 1st pic may be a little misleading, the flip is not larger than the rest of the case. Actually, it's roughly 2mm narrower.

Attachments

• Ahv6ZxUB6BgF1sDCLoQXH8wrIAImOp-bUFHmebYUKL2a.jpg
    Ahv6ZxUB6BgF1sDCLoQXH8wrIAImOp-bUFHmebYUKL2a.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 1,051
  • AtH7BnWIxyJNdP7cPAvVDDqr8JujWZ7kxnTUr6JQRGXZ.jpg
    AtH7BnWIxyJNdP7cPAvVDDqr8JujWZ7kxnTUr6JQRGXZ.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 1,055
Last edited:

rds0811

Mar 18, 2011
Raleigh, NC
iBolt mPro

After searching high and low and running into all sorts of dead ends, I can put this issue to bed for certain. There are a ton of half-assed car mounts that purport to fit the Nexus 6, but ultimately either don't fit or don't provide a secure hold. I finally found the perfect mount that will fit a device up to like 8" tall (width is irrelevant). The iBOLT mPro has a built-in micro USB connector (which is actually reversible for different connector orientations), an excellent suction mount, an alternative mini ball mount, and a removable space on the USB connector to accommodate thick cases. Just having the built in USB connector is a rare luxury in any dock for the Nexus 6. The mount works via a spring-loaded top arm that you can unlock and slide up and down to any preset length that you want. Once you lock it, it then has about 2" of spring-loaded travel to hold the phone tight. Essentially, you preset its height at about 1.5" shorter than the phone so that when you insert the phone it will hold it via plenty of spring pressure.

The mount can be used in portrait or landscape, but certainly favors portrait orientation (which is my personal preference). I don't see any reason why the iBOLT would not work with any case of any kind on the Nexus 6, so long as the USB port is exposed on the bottom. I have the Supcase Unicorn Beetle, and it works great in the iBOLT.

I can't post full links yet, but the product on Amazon is: "iBOLT mPro NFC Car Dock"

"amazon.com/gp/product/B013PR4LPO"

Last edited:

rds0811

Mar 18, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I'm confused, I thought this was a thread for posting pics of what car mount you are using...did I miss something?

I'd attach pics if it would let me, but I don't have enough posts. I read through every page of the thread (most posts don't have photos), and was struggling to determine what, if any, car mount was truly a good fit for the Nexus 6. I finally found one that is perfect for the phone (with or without a case), and I shared what info the site would allow me to.

Reactions: mnsportsguy1978

veesix

Jul 25, 2010
Bari
After searching high and low and running into all sorts of dead ends, I can put this issue to bed for certain. There are a ton of half-assed car mounts that purport to fit the Nexus 6, but ultimately either don't fit or don't provide a secure hold. I finally found the perfect mount that will fit a device up to like 8" tall (width is irrelevant). The iBOLT mPro has a built-in micro USB connector (which is actually reversible for different connector orientations), an excellent suction mount, an alternative mini ball mount, and a removable space on the USB connector to accommodate thick cases. Just having the built in USB connector is a rare luxury in any dock for the Nexus 6. The mount works via a spring-loaded top arm that you can unlock and slide up and down to any preset length that you want. Once you lock it, it then has about 2" of spring-loaded travel to hold the phone tight. Essentially, you preset its height at about 1.5" shorter than the phone so that when you insert the phone it will hold it via plenty of spring pressure.

The mount can be used in portrait or landscape, but certainly favors portrait orientation (which is my personal preference). I don't see any reason why the iBOLT would not work with any case of any kind on the Nexus 6, so long as the USB port is exposed on the bottom. I have the Supcase Unicorn Beetle, and it works great in the iBOLT.

I can't post full links yet, but the product on Amazon is: "iBOLT mPro NFC Car Dock"

"amazon.com/gp/product/B013PR4LPO"

That's really good, pity I made my order half an hour before reading your post :D
btw, I went for something a lot cheaper: http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00COITCB4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
I'll mount it in the cup holders of my '08 Opel Corsa, in front of the gear lever, so it won't be very tall. The base is just as big as the cup holder, so I expect to place it with some interference. That could help keeping everything steady.
I'll report when I receive my order from Amazon.

Attachments

• opel-corsa-diesel.jpg
    opel-corsa-diesel.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,197

Wartickler

Nov 4, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
The mount can be used in portrait or landscape, but certainly favors portrait orientation (which is my personal preference).

It looks to me like the device in landscape would cause there to be gravitational pull on the USB port causing it to angle in a funny way. Does that make sense? Would the USB port get damaged by gravity pulling the device down with the device in landscape? There's nothing else to hold it from falling out other than the grip on the top and the plug in the USB port:
71kv4xfMT1L._SL1500_.jpg

rds0811

Mar 18, 2011
Raleigh, NC
It looks to me like the device in landscape would cause there to be gravitational pull on the USB port causing it to angle in a funny way. Does that make sense? Would the USB port get damaged by gravity pulling the device down with the device in landscape? There's nothing else to hold it from falling out other than the grip on the top and the plug in the USB port:

The USB connector on the mount is actually secured to the mount by a bracket that is screwed down. You can unscrew the bracket to rotate the connector, and then re-secure it. Because of the way it is screwed down, I don't think it would particularly torque on the connector to have it in landscape.

Roflopolis

Aug 22, 2014
Ram Mount X-Grip. I've got it a long arm bolted to the seat bolt on my truck so the phone sits at about 4 o-clock on the steering wheel. It's closer to me that way and not over by the dash or windshield
Would you happen to know if this blocks the camera? My intention is to use my phone as a sort of ghetto dash cam for the time being

jamgam

Jan 10, 2011
Would you happen to know if this blocks the camera? My intention is to use my phone as a sort of ghetto dash cam for the time being

Not sure how you'd plan to mount it to the window (suction cup I guess) but here it is from the back. Seems like it would work as long as the mount isn't in the way

HTH

i-dJZG57s-L.jpg

internetpilot

Jan 26, 2011
Fairfax, VA & Ponte Vedra, FL
I just received and installed a custom Proclip mount/holder in my truck (Toyota Sequoia) and love it. Perfect in every way. I might buy their generic holder if I ever decide to put a skin type case on the phone. I'm currently using a pouch case so the custom holder for the N6 is perfect. Admittedly a little on the pricey side but I think it's a good deal for being custom to both my phone and my vehicle.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
Can anyone with the iOttie HLCRIO132 Easy One Touch Wireless Qi Standard Car Mount Charger (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) comment on wherever it works with the naked N6 without any mods (like this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=61732898&postcount=128) to prevent it from pushing volume/power buttons?

Took a chance and ordered the mount and it does work with the naked Nexus 6 without blocking/pushing the power/volume buttons. Just barely tho, so you have to be precise about dropping the phone in.

aalupatti

Feb 20, 2011

stangri

Dec 19, 2009
Burnaby
Used the mount for a week and I couldn't be happier. It's very well designed and manufactured. It's very adjustable, holds my phone with a great grip and charger works just fine with the curved back of Nexus 6.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Qi-compatible mount, it's a no-brainer for $40 and it comes with the mounting pad and the 5V 1.5A cigarette lighter socket power to micro-usb adapter. I wish I had stumbled upon it earlier and bought it to replace the Nexus 5-specific Qi mount I was using before.

Even *if* all the future Nexi do not support Qi, the small $20 premium over the regular mount is not a huge amount to lose for at least a year of use.

Bootstrap4584

Dec 22, 2010
Oklahoma City
What can I say, I wanted a wireless one.[/QUOTE]

I've been looking into making a magnetic Qi wireless charging car mount and I've been getting frustrated. Every time a magnet gets near the phone (front or back just below the camera) the screen shuts off. Has anyone else had problems with this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Current setup

I have bought a no name wireless charger for my Nexus 5 in the past, but the chin was not adjustable so that the coils would match up to charge. So...I end up scouring the forums and youtubes to find the perfect one for me. It boiled down to the iOttie and TYLT. I have the wireless charger from them, so I am aware of the quality for the price, however, I always hated the proprietary cable used to plug in the AC. The TYLT wireless charger was pretty much the same issue. Had almost all the checkmarks I wanted in a wireless car charger mount, except that I would need to give up my cool Flux Capacitor cig lighter charger. Because of the proprietary charger, I needed to look elsewhere and "settle" for the next best one that's out there.

Enter iOttie. I have seen iOttie for various devices and have heard pretty decent things about them. But I have not personally used one of them. I looked at iOttie's take on the wireless chargers/carmount chargers and was surprised that there were two versions. One was the iOttie Easy Flex, which I was 98% sure I was going to get, until I looked into the iOttie One Touch wireless car mount. I saw on the tubes that the thing had many ways to manipulate to ones desired angle and can be put just about anywhere. Bottom line that sold me was the micro usb that was needed to power the thing and the cool way the phone gets mounted and taken out. Of all the chargers I have tried/bought and was given, I have never come across the way this works. To mount, just put the bottom of the device on the chin and then press back onto a protruding button that will contract it's arms to "hug" the device and lock into place. To remove, you make a cup with your hand and pinch the sticking arms together to release the hugging clamps into your palm. No dropping, and is indeed a one handed operating unit.

The sticky suction cup is very adhesive. It takes a good amount of elbow grease to remove it lol. There are only a few "negatives" I have about this unit is that the clamp is JUST big enough to have my Nexus 6 with a Spigen Ultra hybrid to be locked in and be charged without issue and the clamp to activate the suction cup is beneath the arm, right behind the charger unit. This gets in the way if you mount it on the dash with the arm fully lowered.

The pros? There are many, such as the very sticky suction cup that can be rinsed to reconstitute the stickyness, the telescoping of the arm, the amount of joints this thing has to manipulate the "perfect" viewing angle, and using a micro usb cord to power it. These are just the tip of the iceburg. There are many more, but I fail to think of them at the moment. lol.

Anyways, here is my hat in the ring, per se. I'll post my mini-review with hands on pics later. Here is the unit I am using now.

21125.jpg

Linkage, you can find them on amazon and the bay as well, but I am linking where I purchased it from.
    http://www.shopandroid.com/iottie-easy-one-touch-qi-wireless-car-mount-charger/3A78A21125.htm
    Using this one, I found it in a small store for 2$. Cheapest was best for me.
    The picture is from this morning, 30 minutes drive with lots of hops and bumps, with no problems for the beast. I used it also for my N4.
    I'm going custom.

Getting a RAM Mount X to hold the phone, a pcbm (no case) qi charger, a proclip base to mount to my console (I have a G37). The proclip supposedly has AMPs pattern hole marks, so I bought a ball base for the RAM mount that is also AMPs spec. Getting a suction cup mount as well for rental cars when I travel.

One thing I need to work out is remoting the board for the Qi charger to the console. The Qi spec is like 100-200KHz there abouts, so supersonic frequencies...pretty much DC for a foot or two of wire. So i will likely just drill twist some 18 guage wire and test it against straight leads.

Once I am done I will take some photos.
    Thanks, man. Please keep me posted.

The volume buttons are NOT blocked. The side arms end just below the volume so they are reachable.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone