• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question What Case Will You Be Getting?

Search This thread

MasterBelch

Oct 22, 2020
I currently have Spigen Thin Fit and Clear Ultra Hybrid, which are still in the box because I'm using the official Google Sage case. There's a video on YouTube of someone saying that it feels like the phone is shaking in the case and that the phone would fall out of dropped. I'm NOT having that issue. It's super tight and fairly grippy. Happy that I purchased it. Will try the other two cases down the road.

I have a Bellroy Biscuit leather case in the way. Excited for when they arrives.

Reactions: sgvjon

sgvjon

Nov 28, 2010
Los Angeles
GT-i9250
HTC Dragon
I currently have Spigen Thin Fit and Clear Ultra Hybrid, which are still in the box because I'm using the official Google Sage case. There's a video on YouTube of someone saying that it feels like the phone is shaking in the case and that the phone would fall out of dropped. I'm NOT having that issue. It's super tight and fairly grippy. Happy that I purchased it. Will try the other two cases down the road.

I have a Bellroy Biscuit leather case in the way. Excited for when they arrives.
This might be the first phone I try a leather case with, but interested in how the leather color looks after couple of months

Reactions: MasterBelch

skimminstones

Feb 7, 2010
Google Pixel 2 XL
Oppo Reno 2
Today ive tried each of these....

I like the first one but keep going back to the cheapest one from ebay. It just feels better although i know it will eventually go a yellowish colour

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Ok, all the way back on PAGE 3, I mentioned that I'd purchased one of these; https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09G1JW7TV

... then somebody freaked out that it was putting "metal on the glass" :ROFLMAO:

Ok, so now that I've had the actual P6P for a day with the case on, I'm in a better position to actually talk about it.

First of all, the metal on the case does NOT at ANY point come into contact with ANY PART of the phone. I can actually see the line made between the phone's glass screen and aluminum frame the entire way around the screen, so this... silly concern... is silly. No issues here.

There are 4 main parts;
1) Back aluminum,
2) Middle rubber (ad says silicon, feels like tire rubber, probably synthetic, definitely NOT crappy TPU!!!)
3) USB-C dust cover,
4) Front aluminum.

The USB-C dust cover can be removed or attached while the case is disassembled without any cutting.

Take the thing apart, stick the phone into the "middle rubber" part, set that whole thing down on the "back aluminum", then place the "front aluminum" over the top and connect with 6 allen-head machine screws. It came with a plastic handled screwdriver and a standard angled allen key, and 5 spare machine screws.

The main/only functional challenge here is that it is quite a production to put the phone in and out of the case, and you can't access the sim card slot without taking the phone out of the case.

When its all put together, its pretty heavy and feels very solid. If it came down to it, it would make a pretty decent weapon.

Size wise, I think it adds about 1/4 inch all the way around the sides of the phone. This is especially nice since for whatever reason, they've really minimized the borders around the screen and left you with not a whole lot to hold on to without triggering the touch screen. On the front, the aluminum frame extends about 1/16" above the screen across the top and bottom edges, but is about 1/32" lower than the screen along the sides. I would have preferred if it extended above the screen uniformly all the way around, which would do a much better job protecting it if you set it face down on a corner or non-uniformly-flat surface, but at least on a flat surface, it will hold the screen up a reasonable amount.

On the back, the aluminum extends about 1/32 higher than the glass on the camera block. In addition to that, there is a rubber buffer between the aluminum back and the camera block that extends above both, which is level with the rubber in the main cutout for wireless charging. The result is that the "back" is actually flat, the camera block won't touch a flat table, and it stands on rubber. Its actually quite nice.

Around the entire case, the rubber sticks out about 1/16 past the aluminum, so if it lands on the edge, it will mostly hit rubber.

So despite a couple of minor issues (difficult [dis]assembly process and the height of the aluminum along the sides of the screen), I'd call this case a winner.

MasterBelch

Oct 22, 2020
This might be the first phone I try a leather case with, but interested in how the leather color looks after couple of months

The darker brown tends to age well, but this one is a bit lighter. We'll see. It's just that I change cases weekly and probably won't have time to age. lol.

3.jpeg

sgvjon

Nov 28, 2010
Los Angeles
GT-i9250
HTC Dragon
The darker brown tends to age well, but this one is a bit lighter. We'll see. It's just that I change cases weekly and probably won't have time to age. lol.

View attachment 5442993
Oh I'm not a fan of the lighter leather colors... Like the dark brown/aged look.
Hahahah I know what you mean, I had the Rugged Armor on yesterday and today I have the Liquid Air on.

MasterBelch

Oct 22, 2020
Oh I'm not a fan of the lighter leather colors... Like the dark brown/aged look.
Hahahah I know what you mean, I had the Rugged Armor on yesterday and today I have the Liquid Air on.

Wow... you prepared like I did with the cases. I ordered a couple of Spigens ten days before the phone arrived. Now they're super backordered everywhere. I'm not sure if Spigen and others produced smaller orders due to the low demand of the Pixel 5 or our just that the popularity of the 6/6 Pro is that substantial. Maybe a little bit of both.

sgvjon

Nov 28, 2010
Los Angeles
GT-i9250
HTC Dragon
Wow... you prepared like I did with the cases. I ordered a couple of Spigens ten days before the phone arrived. Now they're super backordered everywhere. I'm not sure if Spigen and others produced smaller orders due to the low demand of the Pixel 5 or our just that the popularity of the 6/6 Pro is that substantial. Maybe a little bit of both.
I had no idea it would be backordered like this, but I always buy my cases ahead of time.. 🤣

Side question, do you use a backup email? My ocd self wants to clear the Security section in Settings and I've never used a backup email.

joelfreak

Sep 8, 2009
Does anyone know of any holster cases that are actually in stock right now other than the Otterbox, or is that it? I just got my shipping alert, so I am looking for something I can get my hands on quickly. I usually have Supcases on all my phones, as I love them, but they say their case is "coming soon", so that wont work for now. Verizon is out of stock online on the Otterbox, so it looks like full price via TMobile is the only choice I can see if I want it fast. Any other holster cases people have seen in stock on Amazon or in stores? Thanks!

Reactions: galaxys

sidhaarthm

Mar 1, 2009
London, U.K.
I have the Vault from Caseology - works perfectly on my P6P and feels grippy. Does not interfere with the TPU type screen protector either. It is slightly bulky though but I know it offers great all around protection.
I also have the Kevlar case on order from a brand called Later - ships in December. That one is much thinner, stronger and lighter. I noticed it on YouTube in Unboxing Therapy's video where Lou was promoting it with the P6 Pro.

I have these in hand already:

And these on the way:

The top one definitely looked a lot better in the pictures than in real life. But, it happens. Not too worried for $7. The bottom one, I thought for sure it would be a generic, kind of crappy case, but, it's actually fairly nice. It's a tad slippery though and the only screen coverage is on the top and bottom of the phone.

The ones I ordered should be here next week. I'll report back on those. I'm pretty excited about the Caseology one. Looks pretty cool.

I have the Vault from Caseology - works perfectly on my P6P and feels grippy. Does not interfere with the TPU type screen protector either. It is slightly bulky though but I know it offers great all around protection.
I also have the Kevlar case on order from a brand called Later - ships in December. That one is much thinner, stronger and lighter. I noticed it on YouTube in Unboxing Therapy's video where Lou was promoting it with the P6 Pro.
Lou owns the brand

Reactions: sidhaarthm

Top Liked Posts