What cases would you recommend for S21?

Search This thread

mpulock

Feb 7, 2014
They're not glass. They're film, but slightly stiffer. It FEELS a lit better than film, it's not soft where your nail can dent it, and it slides almost as nicely as glass, but there's NO oleophobic coating on it like tempered glass would have.

Fingerprint works like the screen is naked. Perfect.
Thanks for the recommendations. Just installed Amfilm Hybrid and Speck Obsidian Mist. Super simple installation and this pair works without any issue. No bubbles, no peeling off on the corners! I hate installing screen protector and am glad don't have to do it for a while from now on! :)

Had an OtterBox Commuter, but just bought (and equipped today) the Samsung S-View Cover. As I haven't been able to find a screen protector that cooperates with my OCD, I figured the next best step was to buy a case that has some pocket screen protection (not worried about smudges, etc... just long term damage from being in my pocket).

The custom S-View AOD isn't anything special, but it is nice to be able to simply flip-unlock by opening the cover, and to see some quick notifications on the fly.

I like it.

robnitro

Feb 21, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
Had an OtterBox Commuter, but just bought (and equipped today) the Samsung S-View Cover. As I haven't been able to find a screen protector that cooperates with my OCD, I figured the next best step was to buy a case that has some pocket screen protection (not worried about smudges, etc... just long term damage from being in my pocket).

The custom S-View AOD isn't anything special, but it is nice to be able to simply flip-unlock by opening the cover, and to see some quick notifications on the fly.

I like it.
S view here too . It's nice, i like flip covers but wish it had a magnetic close

Reactions: Agent Zach

Melissakis

Aug 27, 2013
Thessaloniki
My new favorite is the Nillkin Camshield pro. It's way cheaper than the MSRP (I bought it for just €9), it feels like the Spigens and, of course, it has this nice and clever camera cover, I wonder how nobody else has thought it yet!
It's a little thick and bulky and the corners are reinforced for extra protection. The drawbacks are that it's just a little stiffer than the average case, it gets smudges rather easily and I'd prefer this moto wasn't on the case... Yet it remains great, one of the best cases I've ever bought.
20210510_113010.jpg

20210510_113020.jpg

The little shiny lines you see on the edge of the cover is just vaseline I applied. It's not that the cover is not easy to slide, but i want it to be buttery smooth.

Last edited:

subhani

Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations. Just installed Amfilm Hybrid and Speck Obsidian Mist. Super simple installation and this pair works without any issue. No bubbles, no peeling off on the corners! I hate installing screen protector and am glad don't have to do it for a while from now on! :)
Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but did you confirm the finger scanner as working like it should out of the box? Or was that a hit and miss experience? Reviews of this amfilm say theirs failed. On Amazon that is.

Melissakis

Aug 27, 2013
Thessaloniki
I always make the same mistake. Every time I buy a new phone I swear I'll buy just one case, but I never hold on to it and end up with 3 or 4.
The same happened again. The Nillkin is really great, but now I'd like an ultra slim, clear one. To show what I mean, I consider the Ringke Air rather thick. I found a really slim one, the Totallee super thin, but $34 is too much money for such a case.
Do you have something similar in mind? Thanks!

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I always make the same mistake. Every time I buy a new phone I swear I'll buy just one case, but I never hold on to it and end up with 3 or 4.
    The same happened again. The Nillkin is really great, but now I'd like an ultra slim, clear one. To show what I mean, I consider the Ringke Air rather thick. I found a really slim one, the Totallee super thin, but $34 is too much money for such a case.
    Do you have something similar in mind? Thanks!
    It needs to have good corner protection and slightly raised guards around the display.
    A hard corner hit can cause heavy damage.

I use the Zizo Bolt on my Note 10+ and they hold up well except for the flip out stand. I get about 6-10 months @ case. I will replace them after repeated corner hits even though there's no visible damage to the case to avoid possible plastic fatigue. Not worth damaging a $1200 over a $20 case🤣
    I always keep one in reserve...
    Easy to hold/grip, easy to clean, relatively thin with good protection. 2 or 3 protection layer design. In the clip on holder it's very well protected.
    My 10+ is in excellent condition after 19 months.

Claghorn

Oct 16, 2012
    home.comcast.net
    I just got an Otterbox Defender, and I don't know how well I like it. The ridge around the screen is so high it is difficult to get my finger to swipe down notifications versus just swiping down access to the list of apps. And while it will charge on my wireless charger, it seems much more finicky about getting it positioned precisely correct over the antenna. Also in limited testing, it does seem to reduce the speed of network access.

P.S. I did find the setting that makes swiping down anywhere on the screen bring down notifications. That definitely helps (though it still seems to reduce signal strength).

Last edited:

Jedman67

Jun 14, 2011
    NYC
    I've been getting the Unicorn Beetle religiously for my older galaxies, but i'm concerned about reviews for the UB on the S21. No screen protector; so looking for an alternative that either has or allows a screen a protector, and is just as good with drop protection.
    I must have dropped my S9 a thousand times and it doesn't have a scratch.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I've been getting the Unicorn Beetle religiously for my older galaxies, but i'm concerned about reviews for the UB on the S21. No screen protector; so looking for an alternative that either has or allows a screen a protector, and is just as good with drop protection.
    Gorilla IQ Sheild is what I've used on my 10+ for over a year now. It should work with that case.
    Easy wet apply that wears very well.
    I use the Zizo Bolt case. Between those two and the concrete, zero damage to my 10+.

Reactions: Jedman67

Jedman67

Jun 14, 2011
    NYC
    I think it's down to either ArmadilloTek Vanguard or Poetic Spartan. I just want to make sure that either is suitable for drop protection - i'm a natural klutz but its not like i'm hanging out by concrete sidewalks all day.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    I think it's down to either ArmadilloTek Vanguard or Poetic Spartan. I just want to make sure that either is suitable for drop protection - i'm a natural klutz but its not like i'm hanging out by concrete sidewalks all day.
    I like the Bolt case better because of the clip on polycarbonate back support that locks onto the liner. It never comes off in a drop.
    I've inadvertently tested this case more times then I like, almost always on concrete🤣
    This is a tough case that's not bulky and easy to hold.

The case kickstand tends to break with usage; you can use an aftermarket one to replace it with a bit of modification. Other than that the case looks like new even after heavy usage. Eventually after a couple hard corner hits I replace it to be on the safe side. Not worth losing a $1G phone over a $20 case.

This version seems to come with a screen protector but you may want to use one of your choice. I prefer the black/black variat.

Jedman67

Jun 14, 2011
    NYC
    I like the Bolt case better because of the clip on polycarbonate back support that locks onto the liner. It never comes off in a drop.
    I've inadvertently tested this case more times then I like, almost always on concrete🤣
    This is a tough case that's not bulky and easy to hold.

The case kickstand tends to break with usage; you can use an aftermarket one to replace it with a bit of modification. Other than that the case looks like new even after heavy usage. Eventually after a couple hard corner hits I replace it to be on the safe side. Not worth losing a $1G phone over a $20 case.

This version seems to come with a screen protector but you may want to use one of your choice. I prefer the black/black variat.
    It looks cool, but it also looks like a construction workers case, which is NOT the aesthetic I'm looking for, lmao.

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    It looks cool, but it also looks like a construction workers case, which is NOT the aesthetic I'm looking for, lmao.
    It looks like it can take a hit and keep on ticking... it can. More importantly, it's functional. It just doesn't slip out of your hand. The slightly raised side screen guards prevent direct impact and make it easier to hold/use by limiting ghost touches. Doesn't attract dirt and easy to clean.

A pretty boy case and a cracked screen ain't no winning combination.

Jedman67

Jun 14, 2011
    NYC
    It looks like it can take a hit and keep on ticking... it can. More importantly, it's functional. It just doesn't slip out of your hand. The slightly raised side screen guards prevent direct impact and make it easier to hold/use by limiting ghost touches. Doesn't attract dirt and easy to clean.

Not arguing with that, for sure. I dropped my S9 tons of times but the UB protected it very nicely. I'm looking more for protection from "oh **** it dropped onto the sidewalk as i was getting out of the car" than "oops it got run over by a bulldozer" :LOL: :coffee:

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Not arguing with that, for sure. I dropped my S9 tons of times but the UB protected it very nicely. I'm looking more for protection from "oh **** it dropped onto the sidewalk as i was getting out of the car" than "oops it got run over by a bulldozer" :LOL: :coffee:
    I hear you. Fact of the matter is these manufacturers can say their cases conform to mil whatever, can survive a 20 foot drop blah, blah, blah. It doesn't mean they actually can.
    Many it seems do fall short. A couple manufacturers have earned good reputations though over the years.

All that counts is when -your- case hits the concrete what does or doesn't happen. I always expect bad things when I drop the 10+.
    Many times the spen will pop out🤣
    If you have a case you battle tested yourself that means a lot more than some guy's or company's claim on the internet🤗

manuerduarte

Oct 14, 2008
    Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but did you confirm the finger scanner as working like it should out of the box? Or was that a hit and miss experience? Reviews of this amfilm say theirs failed. On Amazon that is.
    I installed the amfilm hybrid over the oem protector film and the fingerprint reader works every time, but i registered each finger twice

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Gorilla IQ Sheild is what I've used on my 10+ for over a year now. It should work with that case.
      Easy wet apply that wears very well.
      I use the Zizo Bolt case. Between those two and the concrete, zero damage to my 10+.

I hear you. Fact of the matter is these manufacturers can say their cases conform to mil whatever, can survive a 20 foot drop blah, blah, blah. It doesn't mean they actually can.
      Many it seems do fall short. A couple manufacturers have earned good reputations though over the years.

All that counts is when -your- case hits the concrete what does or doesn't happen. I always expect bad things when I drop the 10+.
      Many times the spen will pop out🤣
      If you have a case you battle tested yourself that means a lot more than some guy's or company's claim on the internet🤗
      Why would you do that?
      It's just asking for reduced image clarity.
      Refraction occurs at each boundary layer that's added. The unnecessary added thickness screws up the reader as well😖

One protector is enough. The case should be higher than the display on all sides to prevent contact on flat surface face plants. Don't expect any screen protector to provide adequate protection in a high impact face plant.
      The case should be higher on the ends and slightly higher than the display on the sides (it prevents false touches but leaves the curved areas usable).
      One of the reasons I use the Bolt case.
      I do not want to remove the original film, I saw in a drop test that with the original film it resists all falls without breaking the screen, when remove it in the first test it already broke, you can lost a little clarity but in a smartphone where the screen costs almost the same as the smartphone, I prefer to have that extra security... and the fingerprint reader works perfectly for me
      I'm waiting for the PITAKA case for my S21. https://www.ipitaka.com/?country_override=US. The quality of their cases is super good as those cases are made of aramid fiber. I bought their MagEZ case 2 years ago. Though the case is slim, it saved my phone from several severe falls. I can't think of any other cases for my S21.
      1610956546356.png
      Could you please direct me to these cases you're referring to? I apparently am having issues finding them.

The IMAK Cowboy case I thought was pretty unique as it's a very rigid hard but thin case with this light soft sandpaper finish on the outside.

See this review that does a much better explaining than I can.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/review-imak-cowboy-case.3381061/

Thanks again.

Just a heads up, I recently purchased this case from amazon, which I believe has the same coating you are referring to (Looks like it is probably the same manufacturer, just branded differently). I would describe it as a very fine, soft touch sandpaper.

Anyone intending to use pouches instead of cases? Any recommendations?
      THANK you for this!!

Would you consider the case firm and rigid or flexible? Also Does it cover the buttons or are they exposed?

The Cowboy case was fairly rigid and the buttons were not covered which I liked.
      While it does flex slightly, it's solely due to how thin the case is. The material itself is rigid.
      Unfortunately the buttons on this guy are covered. With that said, they are still plenty clicky, and are not noticeably harder to press. I also wish the screen lip was a bit larger, as I still feel a little uncomfortable laying my phone down screen-first with this case.

20210203_183244.jpg
      20210203_183320.jpg
      been using the otter box symmetry my last 3 phones .. great case not too big and simply works... the new genuine samsung leather one is pretty nice as well
      sam28-galaxy-s21-ultra-5g-20.jpg
      sam28-galaxy-s21-ultra-5g-20-2.jpg

and the samsung leather

05-Leather-Cover_02_P3.jpg

05-Leather-Cover_03_P3.jpg
      05-Leather-Cover_04_P3.jpg