• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question What charger?

Search This thread

sshariff

Feb 5, 2013
So we have the official 30W charger for £25 at Google store, which I believe most people will be going for.

The pixel 6 requires PD 3.0 with PPS for full 30W fast charging. Since chargers will no longer be available in future phones and to avoid buying chargers again in the future when charging speeds increase I thought it might be best to go for a higher charging capacity USB-C PD PSS charger.

Fortunately Spigen have a 45 Watts PD 3.0 PPS charger on amazon with charging cable included.

This should save folks from buying a charger in the future when charging speeds get increased once again.

The good thing is that this one is currently having a 25% off promotion until the end of this month, so turns out cheaper than the official Google fast charger!

Reactions: mitchst2

oxfordmark

Mar 3, 2011
Smart Watches
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
So we have the official 30W charger for £25 at Google store, which I believe most people will be going for.

The pixel 6 requires PD 3.0 with PPS for full 30W fast charging. Since chargers will no longer be available in future phones and to avoid buying chargers again in the future when charging speeds increase I thought it might be best to go for a higher charging capacity USB-C PD PSS charger.

Fortunately Spigen have a 45 Watts PD 3.0 PPS charger on amazon with charging cable included.

This should save folks from buying a charger in the future when charging speeds get increased once again.

The good thing is that this one is currently having a 25% off promotion until the end of this month, so turns out cheaper than the official Google fast charger!
Stupid question sorry, but if a charger shows fast charging, I guess that means it's fully compatible?

sshariff

Feb 5, 2013
Stupid question sorry, but if a charger shows fast charging, I guess that means it's fully compatible?
No its not. It will charge at normal speeds only. For example if you use a oneplus dash charger it won't charge your pixel at 30W.

A handshake for fast charging is made between your phone software and the charger and therefore they both need to adhere to a contract between the two. This is where we need standards so that chargers become compatible across all manufacturers.

Samsung has already moved to PD PPS standards.

Google is trying to push all manufacturers to use PD 3.0 PPS standard so that all become compatible.

Also note that the higher capacity charger you purchase the more future proof you are. For example even with a 45w charger you can't charge your pixel 6 more than 30w as that is what your phone software will allow. But at the same time it means you can use the same charger to fast charge one of your latest Samsung devices at full 45w potential via USB C PD PPS (and potentially future Pixels that allow even faster charging).

Last edited:
Reactions: alek889

oxfordmark

Mar 3, 2011
Smart Watches
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
No its not. It will charge at normal speeds only. For example if you use a oneplus dash charger it won't charge your pixel at 30W.

A handshake for fast charging is made between your phone software and the charger and therefore they both need to adhere to a contract between the two. This is where we need standards so that chargers become compatible across all manufacturers.

Samsung has already moved to PD PPS standards.

Google is trying to push all manufacturers to use PD 3.0 PPS standard so that all become compatible.

Also note that the higher capacity charger you purchase the more future proof you are. For example even with a 45w charger you can't charge your pixel 6 more than 30w as that is what your phone software will allow. But at the same time it means you can use the same charger to fast charge one of your latest Samsung devices at full 45w potential via USB C PD PPS (and potentially future Pixels that allow even faster charging).
So my phone showing rapid charging, is it compatible?

sshariff

Feb 5, 2013
That should do as it has the PD 3.0 standard with PPS. A word of note that you will see 30W chargers just with PD 3.0 but no PPS. These will charge slower than those with PPS but should still be more rapid than the previous gen 18W fast charger.

mojorisin7178

Jun 26, 2011
Saint James
I have had my eye on that spigen charger for a while now. I am actually a big fan of spigen. I have had every pixel and I have used a spigen case for each one.
I actually don't like using those high amp chargers. I only use them when i am in a pinch like i forgot to charge my phone and i gotta go. I use a chargie with a 1amp usb port on my power strip. And i only charge to 80 percent. Again if i am in a pinch or if i know i will be gone from a charger for more than 10 hours i will charge to 100 but that rarely happens. My pixel 4xl used to last all day plus and I had it for 2 years and when i traded it in the battery was still at 98 percent health.

I have a question though since we are talking about chargers. I have a lenovo chromebook that uses a 45w usb c charger. can i use that on my pixel 6? I have the base model 6 not the pro. Or will that damage it? I would assume that it would be ok but just want a second opinion.

sshariff

Feb 5, 2013
This charger oozes quality. It is slightly smaller than the pixel 5 18w charger, comes with a higher quality braided cable, in all much better value than the Google 30w charger.

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
If you're not testing your charger with a usb C meter of some sort, you're almost certainly not getting 30W.

These pixels appear to have an apple style restriction on chargers. Something many people are missing is that not all PPS chargers are created equally. Google specifies 21v whereas most of the pps chargers on the market top out at 11v.

I've tried 3 different 65W 11v PPS chargers and they all top out at 18-20W.

I then specifically bought a 21v capable charger and still it tops out at 18-20W.

I'm extremely disappointed Google decided to take this anti consumer approach. The chargers I have tried are by all means technologically superior to Google's charger in every way and yet this arbitrary restriction means I'm forced to buy Google's if I want 30W charging.

I can include links/photos/videos if anyone is curious.

Reactions: hidroela

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
The Spigen one which complies with the relevant standards?

Edit
Just read your previous post now.

"Up to 45W(5.0V=3.0A, 9.0V=3.0A, 15.0V=3.0A, 20.0V=2.25A, 3.3V-11.0V=3.5A, 3.3V-16.0V=3.0A)"

^ Taken from the amazon page for the Spigen charger.

No support for 21V so no 30W fast charging. Even if it did support 21V, I doubt it would go over 18-20W, based on my findings.

Of course it's ridiculous because even with "only" 20V, the charger can push 2.25A which is more than enough for 30W charging. I don't understand the point of PPS if the voltage/current combinations are not dynamic. The implementation of PPS so far seems to make a mockery of the intended purpose of the standard.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same. I'm convinced it's not possible at this point. I came from a OP6T with 20W Dash charging which always felt very fast to me so I'm not too fussed.
    It's like a little meetup of previous OnePlus 6t owners here 😎 that phone charged very quickly! Hoping this inui (something like that) brand charger I got off Amazon works... We'll see but I'm not hopeful with threads like this saying not even the Google official charger gets the full 30w
    I returned the spigen arcstation 45W PD 3.0 PPS charger as it was no faster than my pixel 5 18W charger. In any case I will not give my money to Google for something that they should have included with the phone.

If in a future update the phone allows 30W charging I will then buy a charger. Until then there is no point in buying one
    I would love to know how did you measure that😅😅.
    Perhaps using the same method I used.

Edit

"Up to 45W(5.0V=3.0A, 9.0V=3.0A, 15.0V=3.0A, 20.0V=2.25A, 3.3V-11.0V=3.5A, 3.3V-16.0V=3.0A)"

No support for 21V so no 30W fast charging. Even if it did support 21V, I doubt it would go over 18-20W, based on my findings.

Of course it's ridiculous because even with "only" 20V, the charger can push 2.25A which is more than enough for 30W charging. I don't understand the point of PPS if the voltage/current combinations are not dynamic. The implementation of PPS so far seems to make a mockery of the intended purpose of the standard.
    I don't know how anyone can disagree with this. If not including the charger was in the name of reducing e-waste, why would they make it so stupidly hard to charge the phone at the advertised speed? Honestly it has soured me on google. I know they're just as bad as apple these days when it comes to anti-consumer tactics but it's the first time I've felt the sting personally.
    Not including the charger in the box is ridiculous full stop. Who had a compatible charger at home already? Nobody by the sounds of things. How is buying several chargers better than just putting one in the feckin box.
    Same. I'm convinced it's not possible at this point. I came from a OP6T with 20W Dash charging which always felt very fast to me so I'm not too fussed.
    It's like a little meetup of previous OnePlus 6t owners here 😎 that phone charged very quickly! Hoping this inui (something like that) brand charger I got off Amazon works... We'll see but I'm not hopeful with threads like this saying not even the Google official charger gets the full 30w
    I returned the spigen arcstation 45W PD 3.0 PPS charger as it was no faster than my pixel 5 18W charger. In any case I will not give my money to Google for something that they should have included with the phone.

If in a future update the phone allows 30W charging I will then buy a charger. Until then there is no point in buying one
    I would love to know how did you measure that😅😅.
    Perhaps using the same method I used.

I don't know how anyone can disagree with this. If not including the charger was in the name of reducing e-waste, why would they make it so stupidly hard to charge the phone at the advertised speed? Honestly it has soured me on google. I know they're just as bad as apple these days when it comes to anti-consumer tactics but it's the first time I've felt the sting personally.
    Not including the charger in the box is ridiculous full stop. Who had a compatible charger at home already? Nobody by the sounds of things. How is buying several chargers better than just putting one in the feckin box.

Edit