Question What charger?

Search This thread

mitchst2

Nov 9, 2011
HTC One (m7)
HTC 10
"Up to 45W(5.0V=3.0A, 9.0V=3.0A, 15.0V=3.0A, 20.0V=2.25A, 3.3V-11.0V=3.5A, 3.3V-16.0V=3.0A)"

^ Taken from the amazon page for the Spigen charger.

No support for 21V so no 30W fast charging. Even if it did support 21V, I doubt it would go over 18-20W, based on my findings.

Of course it's ridiculous because even with "only" 20V, the charger can push 2.25A which is more than enough for 30W charging. I don't understand the point of PPS if the voltage/current combinations are not dynamic. The implementation of PPS so far seems to make a mockery of the intended purpose of the standard.
Not including the charger in the box is ridiculous full stop. Who had a compatible charger at home already? Nobody by the sounds of things. How is buying several chargers better than just putting one in the feckin box.

Reactions: Nimueh and 3dawg

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
I don't know how anyone can disagree with this. If not including the charger was in the name of reducing e-waste, why would they make it so stupidly hard to charge the phone at the advertised speed? Honestly it has soured me on google. I know they're just as bad as apple these days when it comes to anti-consumer tactics but it's the first time I've felt the sting personally.
Not including the charger in the box is ridiculous full stop. Who had a compatible charger at home already? Nobody by the sounds of things. How is buying several chargers better than just putting one in the feckin box.

Reactions: Nimueh and mitchst2

Heisenberg420

Apr 28, 2011
Philadelphia
Google Pixel 6
I don't know how anyone can disagree with this. If not including the charger was in the name of reducing e-waste, why would they make it so stupidly hard to charge the phone at the advertised speed? Honestly it has soured me on google. I know they're just as bad as apple these days when it comes to anti-consumer tactics but it's the first time I've felt the sting personally.
It's simple, the move was never about reducing e-waste, one could simply verify this by looking at the sales of standalone charging bricks sold by apple when they first did this.

sshariff

Feb 5, 2013
"Up to 45W(5.0V=3.0A, 9.0V=3.0A, 15.0V=3.0A, 20.0V=2.25A, 3.3V-11.0V=3.5A, 3.3V-16.0V=3.0A)"

No support for 21V so no 30W fast charging. Even if it did support 21V, I doubt it would go over 18-20W, based on my findings.

Of course it's ridiculous because even with "only" 20V, the charger can push 2.25A which is more than enough for 30W charging. I don't understand the point of PPS if the voltage/current combinations are not dynamic. The implementation of PPS so far seems to make a mockery of the intended purpose of the standard.
Agree, no 30W pps fast charging in the spigen, but 27W (9V/3A) PD is there. The Google charger also has 27W (9V/3A) PD. Also once battery is around 60% every phone will charge much slower to preserve the battery, that is why companies typically only quote the up 0 to 50% charging speed.

Only thing I'm not sure of is if the pixel 6 is programmed to accept the 9V/3A (27W) charging or if Google have deliberately programmed it for only PPS 21V.

Reactions: dwork1742

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
Agree, no 30W pps fast charging in the spigen, but 27W (9V/3A) PD is there. The Google charger also has 27W (9V/3A) PD. Also once battery is around 60% every phone will charge much slower to preserve the battery, that is why companies typically only quote the up to 50% charging.

Only thing I'm not sure of is if the pixel 6 is programmed to accept the 9V/3A (27W) charging or if Google have deliberately programmed it for only PPS 21V.
The google charger has it but it doesn't mean the pixel uses that charging profile. I've tested many MANY PD and PPS chargers with it, ranging from 30W to 65W, all of which support 9V/3A. Pixel tops out at 8-9V / 2-2.5A. It never engages any PPS modes with 3rd party chargers.

To be clear I've tested from 1% all the way up to 80% and it makes no difference. In fact, at 1% it seems to lock the charging at 7.5W max. My guess is to trickle charge for better battery health. This behaviour continued until around 3% when 18W charging suddenly kicked in again.

Maybe this is different with the official one but out of principle I will never buy it.

sshariff

Feb 5, 2013
The google charger has it but it doesn't mean the pixel uses that charging profile. I've tested many MANY PD and PPS chargers with it, ranging from 30W to 65W, all of which support 9V/3A. Pixel tops out at 8-9V / 2-2.5A. It never engages any PPS modes with 3rd party chargers.

To be clear I've tested from 1% all the way up to 80% and it makes no difference. In fact, at 1% it seems to lock the charging at 7.5W max. My guess is to trickle charge for better battery health. This behaviour continued until around 3% when 18W charging suddenly kicked in again.

Maybe this is different with the official one but out of principle I will never buy it.
My phone is at 65% but I did compare via the app Ampere for charging speeds between the spigen and the 18W pixel 5 charger and can confirm that they both are charging at the same rate of around 4.4V/3.3A so around 14W give and take.

The spigen is being returned back to amazon and will stick with the 18W charger. I won't buy from Google either but expect a compatible fast charger to come on amazon in the next couple of months.

sshariff

Feb 5, 2013
Also on another note the Pixel 6 does not charge if the cable is a USB A to C type. My car has android auto with USB A ports, so will need to check if the battery drains whilst using android auto. On my pixel 5 it used to fully charge the battery.

It will be a big problem if it drains the battery, especially on long drives.

Has anyone checked this?

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
Also on another note the Pixel 6 does not charge if the cable is a USB A to C type. My car has android auto with USB A ports, so will need to check if the battery drains whilst using android auto. On my pixel 5 it used to fully charge the battery.

It will be a big problem if it drains the battery, especially on long drives.

Has anyone checked this?
my car has a C and an A port. i use the A with my pixel to hook the phone up to android auto. works well and also charges the phone. the charging is slow but it definitely charges. it also says "charging rapidly" on the phone for what it's worth.

the car is a 2019 nissan murano.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
my car has a C and an A port. i use the A with my pixel to hook the phone up to android auto. works well and also charges the phone. the charging is slow but it definitely charges. it also says "charging rapidly" on the phone for what it's worth.

the car is a 2019 nissan murano.
don't forget guys, the cables can be just as important as the charger.

petzku

Jul 23, 2009
Huawei Nexus 6P
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE
I used to have the Anker Nano (20w) for my Pixel 5. So it was only natural to go for the Anker Nano 2 for the Pixel 6 (30w). This is small and fast and it was like +30€ on Amazon.😚🤌🤌

PXL_20211102_202828960.jpg

Reactions: derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I used to have the Anker Nano (20w) for my Pixel 5. So it was only natural to go for the Anker Nano 2 for the Pixel 6 (30w). This is small and fast and it was like +30€ on Amazon.😚🤌🤌

View attachment 5448709
interesting how much space those prongs take up compared to the US version. It's too bad they don't flip down for travel. I mean, it's already darn small...
PXL_20211103_232433474.jpg

Reactions: Att.Fan1982

lilrob1213

Dec 20, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Has anyone actually tested charging speed from 0-50% with various chargers? Just curious what actually works well or if any differ from the Google official charger even with the same specs

996gt2

Mar 28, 2012
Can report my Anker Powerport III Pod (65W, supports PPS) only charges my P6 at 10W as measured from the wall outlet. Has anyone actually been able to get their P6 to charge at the full 30W? Do you need to buy the official Google charger to actually get those speeds?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same. I'm convinced it's not possible at this point. I came from a OP6T with 20W Dash charging which always felt very fast to me so I'm not too fussed.
    It's like a little meetup of previous OnePlus 6t owners here 😎 that phone charged very quickly! Hoping this inui (something like that) brand charger I got off Amazon works... We'll see but I'm not hopeful with threads like this saying not even the Google official charger gets the full 30w
    I returned the spigen arcstation 45W PD 3.0 PPS charger as it was no faster than my pixel 5 18W charger. In any case I will not give my money to Google for something that they should have included with the phone.

If in a future update the phone allows 30W charging I will then buy a charger. Until then there is no point in buying one
    I would love to know how did you measure that😅😅.
    Perhaps using the same method I used.

The Spigen one which complies with the relevant standards?

Edit
    Just read your previous post now.