Question What charger?

Search This thread

android_dan

Feb 17, 2015
The warp charging brick I received with my OP5 will not charge my P6. It will show it's charging on the battery icon in the status bar but it actually losses charge. I plugged it into the warp charging brick I received with my OP8 and it charged it overnight via adaptive charging. I I'll plug it in when I get home and see what I get.

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
Can report my Anker Powerport III Pod (65W, supports PPS) only charges my P6 at 10W as measured from the wall outlet. Has anyone actually been able to get their P6 to charge at the full 30W? Do you need to buy the official Google charger to actually get those speeds?
I've seen elsewhere (not on XDA) that even with the official charger, it never goes above 22W.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qh4thy/_/hj9ig9v
Seems like a limitation imposed at the software level. Triggering 30W is so far impossible? The only thing I haven't tested is 1% battery in the fridge lol. Maybe the combination of low charge + low temp allows 30W?

Either way, google is being WAY too strict with it, so strict it actually seems like a case of false advertising. One thing seems clear, you DO NOT need the official google charger as it behaves identically to the pd 3.0/PPS chargers I've tested.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
The warp charging brick I received with my OP5 will not charge my P6. It will show it's charging on the battery icon in the status bar but it actually losses charge. I plugged it into the warp charging brick I received with my OP8 and it charged it overnight via adaptive charging. I I'll plug it in when I get home and see what I get.
you cannot use oneplus chargers. they are proprietary. i dont know about the oneplus 8 or 9 chargers, but anything below you cannot use. i know because i have them and they do not work.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
I've seen elsewhere (not on XDA) that even with the official charger, it never goes above 22W.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qh4thy/_/hj9ig9v
Seems like a limitation imposed at the software level. Triggering 30W is so far impossible? The only thing I haven't tested is 1% battery in the fridge lol. Maybe the combination of low charge + low temp allows 30W?

Either way, google is being WAY too strict with it, so strict it actually seems like a case of false advertising. One thing seems clear, you DO NOT need the official google charger as it behaves identically to the pd 3.0/PPS chargers I've tested.
well that's disappointing to see considering my google charger is in the mail. but i will also likely keep the charger because i am lazy. then again, maybe i'll return it since it is beyond what i need at this point

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
well that's disappointing to see considering my google charger is in the mail. but i will also likely keep the charger because i am lazy. then again, maybe i'll return it since it is beyond what i need at this point
Seems a waste when £25 will get you a fully PPS/PD 3.0 compliant 65W GaN charger on Amazon.

Then you can use it in the future for other phones or any usb c charging laptops you own currently.

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
Mine arrives next week, they must be slightly backordered. I'll report back as well. I figured for $25 bucks how can you go wrong? If it sucks I can return it but I don't think it will.
No better than any 9V 2A PD charger. Unless google tweak the charging behaviour in an update.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
That one doesn't support PD so no.

Something like that. Doesn't have to be 65W though, you can just grab any PD 3.0 20W+ charger and they will all behave the same with a P6/P6 Pro.

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
You linked a 20W Anker that doesn't support PPS :p Wrong link?

To be clear though, PPS is never even engaged, even with PPS chargers. PD 9V 2A seems to be the only fast charging profile the P6 series use.
wrong link? i just clicked it. takes you to the product.

USB C Charger Block, ULTRANET 65W 2-Port GaN PPS PD Charger, Foldable Compact Travel Fast Charger 48W USB C Port for MacBook Pro Air, iPad Pro, iPhone 12, Galaxy, Nintendo Switch and All USB C Charge​

android_dan

Feb 17, 2015
you cannot use oneplus chargers. they are proprietary. i dont know about the oneplus 8 or 9 chargers, but anything below you cannot use. i know because i have them and they do not work.
Like I said, the one that came with the 8 did. Not sure if it will fast charge it. I know I read hear someone implied it would. Anyway, you are correct in that the charger from the OP 5 did not work.

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
wrong link? i just clicked it. takes you to the product.

USB C Charger Block, ULTRANET 65W 2-Port GaN PPS PD Charger, Foldable Compact Travel Fast Charger 48W USB C Port for MacBook Pro Air, iPad Pro, iPhone 12, Galaxy, Nintendo Switch and All USB C Charge​

Even with incognito! It links to this. Not sure what's going on.

1636039289701.png

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
I see now. You definitely don't need to buy another.

The regulatory info states the Pixel 6/6 Pro only draw 11V - 3A max via PPS, a charging profile that afaik all PPS chargers support.

I can't find any information about this ULTRANET charger specs in detail but unless it turns out 21V - 1.5A is a requirement for 30W charging when/if they update the charging behavior, it's going to be more than enough.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
i
I see now. You definitely don't need to buy another.

The regulatory info states the Pixel 6/6 Pro only draw 11V - 3A max via PPS, a charging profile that afaik all PPS chargers support.

I can't find any information about this ULTRANET charger specs in detail but unless it turns out 21V - 1.5A is a requirement for 30W charging when/if they update the charging behavior, it's going to be more than enough.

i am actually not even using that one. i am using the chromebook 4 charger that i took a photo of above. or maybe that was a different post. seems to get the job done and i've all bust lost interest in getting the full 30W

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
i

i am actually not even using that one. i am using the chromebook 4 charger that i took a photo of above. or maybe that was a different post. seems to get the job done and i've all bust lost interest in getting the full 30W
Same. I'm convinced it's not possible at this point. I came from a OP6T with 20W Dash charging which always felt very fast to me so I'm not too fussed.

Reactions: lilrob1213

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same. I'm convinced it's not possible at this point. I came from a OP6T with 20W Dash charging which always felt very fast to me so I'm not too fussed.
    It's like a little meetup of previous OnePlus 6t owners here 😎 that phone charged very quickly! Hoping this inui (something like that) brand charger I got off Amazon works... We'll see but I'm not hopeful with threads like this saying not even the Google official charger gets the full 30w
    I returned the spigen arcstation 45W PD 3.0 PPS charger as it was no faster than my pixel 5 18W charger. In any case I will not give my money to Google for something that they should have included with the phone.

If in a future update the phone allows 30W charging I will then buy a charger. Until then there is no point in buying one
    I would love to know how did you measure that😅😅.
    Perhaps using the same method I used.

I don't know how anyone can disagree with this. If not including the charger was in the name of reducing e-waste, why would they make it so stupidly hard to charge the phone at the advertised speed? Honestly it has soured me on google. I know they're just as bad as apple these days when it comes to anti-consumer tactics but it's the first time I've felt the sting personally.
    Not including the charger in the box is ridiculous full stop. Who had a compatible charger at home already? Nobody by the sounds of things. How is buying several chargers better than just putting one in the feckin box.
    The Spigen one which complies with the relevant standards?

Edit
    Just read your previous post now.

"Up to 45W(5.0V=3.0A, 9.0V=3.0A, 15.0V=3.0A, 20.0V=2.25A, 3.3V-11.0V=3.5A, 3.3V-16.0V=3.0A)"

^ Taken from the amazon page for the Spigen charger.

No support for 21V so no 30W fast charging. Even if it did support 21V, I doubt it would go over 18-20W, based on my findings.

Of course it's ridiculous because even with "only" 20V, the charger can push 2.25A which is more than enough for 30W charging. I don't understand the point of PPS if the voltage/current combinations are not dynamic. The implementation of PPS so far seems to make a mockery of the intended purpose of the standard.