• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question What charger?

Search This thread

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
What type of cable does that use? The Apple ones only support power and use PDP, which doesn't support data transfer. It negotiates differently. USB-C is a nightmare, it's the name for the connector and for some of the features it supports.
I just use the cable that comes with my phones. Those should always do data transfer. I personally haven't data transferred wired in years.

euqilobaid

Feb 12, 2009
I'm also coming from OP6 to P6 :) It is yet to arrive (should come this week) and I'm planning to test the quick charge with the Baseus charger which is charging wife's phone. If it runs well I'll get a 2nd one for travel purposes.

Personally, I like to just top off to 80% anyway and for that use, a PPS charger is worth it. At work, we happen to have a PPS Samsung charger with 11v-2.25a max and it's consistently 20-ish minutes faster than my 18w Pixel 4 XL charger.

View attachment 5451603

Left is the 18w Pixel 4 charger 17% to 80% in 1h and 15m and the right is the PPS Samsung charger 10% to 80% in 55m.
Like @EeZeEpEe alluded to, personally I'm not too beat up over this. I'm not real happy with Google's treatment of it, as it really feels like purposeful misdirection bordering on deception however, considering that I purchased two Chargies to go along with my my Pixel 6 Pro (the USB Type A Gold Edition and the USB Type C version which is still on pre-order, slated for December delivery), I fully recognize that charging our devices at maximum speed with any kind of regularity is to the detriment of its battery and ultimate longevity. Again, as @EeZeEpEe stated, ideally you don't want to charge it beyond 80% unless absolutely necessary (nor do you want to let it discharge below 15% if you can help it). Chargie is essentially a non root, hardware-based alternative to some of the root only software battery/power management apps/modules, etc that exist out there. I actually just received mine today but I was playing around with the app and got to wondering if there was any room for improvement by giving it root access (superchargie?), which I emailed the device's creator/developer about and he said he'd be looking into it as he hadn't previously considered a best of both worlds scenario. As far as I can tell though, it does everything you'd want from a device of it's kind, hard limits, temperature limits, auto shutoff, scheduled top up charging and something I'm pretty excited to play with, a hardware limiter, which as I understand it allows you to extend the units functionality to any lithium ion battery powered device, or even 18650s and power banks themselves without the need for those devices to interact with the app, bc yeah how would they? Anyway, if you're interested in accomplishing what you could via root access without having to root your device, check it out. Here's a little video that oversimplifies it but if you're into specs and nerdy details (which, let's be honest, you are) just check out the site. It's got a lot of that.

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
I find it astounding that I'm going to need an in-line monitor like a kill-a-watt just to test a phone charger. Never needed to worry about this before.

android_dan

Feb 17, 2015
I'm using the charger from my OP8 and I'm sitting here at 8:19 pm with 35% battery. In a couple of hours I'll plug it in and go to bed. In the morning I'll be at 100%. Tomorrow night I'll go to bed with the battery at 35%.....

I don't game, but this time of year I spend no small amount of time outside with the screen at 100%. If your battery lasts you through the day why do you need fast charging? Because you forgot to plug it in? Granted that sucks. Don;t do that.

chrisnewton

Feb 5, 2012
Ok so i am not really a heave user so my routine of charging it i usually charge to arounf 90% on a morning, then by night time i probably have about 60% left so i turn it off...next day before i go to work i just top up to around 90% again and away i go...so after reading this thread am i actually damaging my battery by doing this? is it really that bad to go beyond 80%?

eloko

Nov 22, 2010
I'm a heavy user, probably screen is on most of the day... On pixel 4 xl I get from 7am til like 12 and I need to connect a charger... Phone is always doing many things in the background... Checking emails every minute from different accounts, telegram, Facebook, folder syncs on Google one... Dropbox... GPS navigation, photos... Im moving all the time so I'm not connected to 1 tower more than 1 hour neither wifi...

That's why we need fast charge...

blastroid

Jul 29, 2010
San Francisco
I've been using my 18W google chargers from older phones and a couple of laptop USB-C power bricks at work. No problems and it seems to charge the same speed as my pixel 2. I've been taking the P6 up to 90% or so and usually let it go down to 40%. I might start doing 80% for the top off because I'm getting great battery life for my usage patterns that will easily last a day. The P6 does noticeably warm up when charging.

Chinezu78

Mar 20, 2016
Bucharest
Google Pixel 6
So we have the official 30W charger for £25 at Google store, which I believe most people will be going for.

The pixel 6 requires PD 3.0 with PPS for full 30W fast charging. Since chargers will no longer be available in future phones and to avoid buying chargers again in the future when charging speeds increase I thought it might be best to go for a higher charging capacity USB-C PD PSS charger.

Fortunately Spigen have a 45 Watts PD 3.0 PPS charger on amazon with charging cable included.

This should save folks from buying a charger in the future when charging speeds get increased once again.

The good thing is that this one is currently having a 25% off promotion until the end of this month, so turns out cheaper than the official Google fast charger!
This will work? It use the same protocol for quick charging? Thx
Agree, no 30W pps fast charging in the spigen, but 27W (9V/3A) PD is there. The Google charger also has 27W (9V/3A) PD. Also once battery is around 60% every phone will charge much slower to preserve the battery, that is why companies typically only quote the up 0 to 50% charging speed.

Only thing I'm not sure of is if the pixel 6 is programmed to accept the 9V/3A (27W) charging or if Google have deliberately programmed it for only PPS 21V.

Please tell me if this charger will be good, if it use the same protocol for quick charging? Thx

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
It's not good. Uses proprietary Qualcomm Quick Charge bricks that are not included.

15W max if you want the hassle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Same. I'm convinced it's not possible at this point. I came from a OP6T with 20W Dash charging which always felt very fast to me so I'm not too fussed.
    It's like a little meetup of previous OnePlus 6t owners here 😎 that phone charged very quickly! Hoping this inui (something like that) brand charger I got off Amazon works... We'll see but I'm not hopeful with threads like this saying not even the Google official charger gets the full 30w
    I returned the spigen arcstation 45W PD 3.0 PPS charger as it was no faster than my pixel 5 18W charger. In any case I will not give my money to Google for something that they should have included with the phone.

If in a future update the phone allows 30W charging I will then buy a charger. Until then there is no point in buying one
    I would love to know how did you measure that😅😅.
    Perhaps using the same method I used.

I don't know how anyone can disagree with this. If not including the charger was in the name of reducing e-waste, why would they make it so stupidly hard to charge the phone at the advertised speed? Honestly it has soured me on google. I know they're just as bad as apple these days when it comes to anti-consumer tactics but it's the first time I've felt the sting personally.
    Not including the charger in the box is ridiculous full stop. Who had a compatible charger at home already? Nobody by the sounds of things. How is buying several chargers better than just putting one in the feckin box.
    The Spigen one which complies with the relevant standards?

Edit
    Just read your previous post now.

"Up to 45W(5.0V=3.0A, 9.0V=3.0A, 15.0V=3.0A, 20.0V=2.25A, 3.3V-11.0V=3.5A, 3.3V-16.0V=3.0A)"

^ Taken from the amazon page for the Spigen charger.

No support for 21V so no 30W fast charging. Even if it did support 21V, I doubt it would go over 18-20W, based on my findings.

Of course it's ridiculous because even with "only" 20V, the charger can push 2.25A which is more than enough for 30W charging. I don't understand the point of PPS if the voltage/current combinations are not dynamic. The implementation of PPS so far seems to make a mockery of the intended purpose of the standard.