Question What do you think about the Google OEM and/or Pixel Fold so far?

Search This thread

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
simple fact the Pixel fold is out of stock atm.
Hope you're aware that this is also a strategy to create a positive image about a product.

Around the time Apple launches the new Apple watch, I see a lot of articles on how an Apple watch saved someone's life. Makes me laugh. But there are many people who get sold on these paid articles.

Every big brand has its own fanbase. And big brands often manage to sell an inferior product at an inflated price. That's the power of marketing and hype.

sawdoctor

Sep 11, 2016
Google Pixel Fold
Hope you're aware that this is also a strategy to create a positive image about a product.

Around the time Apple launches the new Apple watch, I see a lot of articles on how an Apple watch saved someone's life. Makes me laugh. But there are many people who get sold on these paid articles.

Every big brand has its own fanbase. And big brands often manage to sell an inferior product at an inflated price. That's the power of marketing and hype.
I also hope you your aware opinions aren't facts and your opinions are just that yours and no one else's

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
OP asked for opinions, and I have given mine with all honesty. My opinions are indeed based on facts and first hand experiences.

OP wasn't seeking validation. If you're butthurt, you need to grow up. And of course you're free to call facts as opinions. It won't change anything.
I said nothing against your opinion nor that of anyone else; I've no grief with anyone expressing them, including you. You however often express your opinions as fact and continue to do just that. The sense I get is that you don't even realize it.

That would bring me to your second paragraph. I have grandchildren but I manage to learn every day so I suppose you could say I am still growing up. No butthurt going on; I've already gotten to where I just skim through your posts because you're not adding anything of value; and there is nowwhere to go with "It sucks, anyone who disagrees is stupid." Unfortunately, that would be a succinct way to paraphrase your entire time on this subsection. The phone sucks. You've spoken. The end. Everyone should agree because of course you're right and everyone else is wrong. That how it works?

In any event my question was one of curiosity;. not concern for what you are or aren't doing. I don't have enough time in the day to go to random forums and post about something I don't own and never will. Even if I did, I wouldn't because it serves no purpose I can discern and that time could be invested in something I actually am interested in and/or care about. I was just wondering what drives the behavior.

Reactions: sawdoctor

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
So I had said I was going to wait on getting a case until something nice came out but I changed my mind. A Spigen Thin Fit showed up today. Nothing much to say about the case itself, it's typical Spigen and exactly what you'd expect.

The form factor however... That gets your attention. It's one thing to see it in videos, another to hold an empty case in your hand. It really brings home the width and it's squatter than I expected. I don't see this as a bad thing, it's what I wanted. But wow, it's different after so many taller phones.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I've already gotten to where I just skim through your posts because you're not adding anything of value;
You have the option to ignore a member whose posts don't add value to you:

Ignore.jpg

This will save you a lot of time.

In any event my question was one of curiosity;. not concern for what you are or aren't doing. I don't have enough time in the day to go to random forums and post about something I don't own and never will. Even if I did, I wouldn't because it serves no purpose I can discern and that time could be invested in something I actually am interested in and/or care about. I was just wondering what drives the behavior.
I'm answering this only as a respect for your age. I'm not on any social media because those are mostly fake. Fake people posting fake stuff. I like being on knowledge based forums where I get to learn things I don't know and share things which I do know (and I'm fully aware it may not add value to everyone). So it really doesn't matter if I'm interacting in a sub-forum about a device that I don't own. It is not the device, but the category that interests me. Pixels are like the undeserving candidates who get promoted over more deserving ones. I have given my reasons why I think so. And it is perfectly fine if you or anyone disagrees with it.

jmelvin

Feb 13, 2006
Tampa
HTC Leo
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
So I had said I was going to wait on getting a case until something nice came out but I changed my mind. A Spigen Thin Fit showed up today. Nothing much to say about the case itself, it's typical Spigen and exactly what you'd expect.

The form factor however... That gets your attention. It's one thing to see it in videos, another to hold an empty case in your hand. It really brings home the width and it's squatter than I expected. I don't see this as a bad thing, it's what I wanted. But wow, it's different after so many taller phones.
I saw this case as well. But the Pitaka aramid case with magsafe won me over.
1685104235705.png

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
I saw that one; love the look of CF. Mine will be replaced whenever a nice leather wallet comes out. I like the feel of leather in hand so just a personal choice rather than a knock against other car types.

Have you received it? I'm curious if you had the same reaction I did.

Reactions: notnoelchannel

jmelvin

Feb 13, 2006
Tampa
HTC Leo
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I saw that one; love the look of CF. Mine will be replaced whenever a nice leather wallet comes out. I like the feel of leather in hand so just a personal choice rather than a knock against other car types.

Have you received it? I'm curious if you had the same reaction I did.
I have not received it yet. I currently have the Oppo Find N2, so I am familiar with the size. I know it will be ever so slightly larger but thinner!

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member

MOD ANNOUNCEMENT

Alright everyone, after speaking with the OP (@notnoelchannel) "off-topic is acceptable at a point in the opinions". It should be outlined in the OP. But I will still leave part of my original PSA regarding decorum, bickering, and insults.

Criticism (which any/all criticisms are to only be in regards and restricted to mobile phone related matters) is to be constructive, objective, reasonable, and to keep personal opinion (mobile phone related matters notwithstanding) & attacks out of it. Although you might have your own personal reasons to be against certain things, criticisms about it should still have a modicum of respect and courtesy, and that nothing positive comes from posting in a "demanding, argumentative, disrespectful, and/or self-righteous manner" (as stated in Forum Rule 2.3). Personal insults and mockery is NOT necessary either!
Please refrain from any antagonistic or mocking remarks whose only purpose is to incite defensiveness, confrontation, and/or further bickering; as seen in post #78 ("something better"), post #79 ("butthurt"), post #83 ("everybody should agree"). Refraining from addressing them will keep from leading to more arguments and insults. It is better to ignore and refrain from even responding than to reply and fuel the fire more.

Thank you everyone. Your cooperation is appreciated,
simplepinoi177 FSM

There is already a delivery thread.

When I ordered my Fold, I did go ahead and ordered the Google case so I can have some protection until I see if anything better comes out.

Amazon has $40 (-coupon) USD Spigen.

I cancelled my $60 Google Case, yesterday. I pre-ordered the fold on, like, the 12th, incidentally.

At announcement the case selection was mediocre, broadly.

I have said this several times already:

Google sells mediocre phones at flagship prices.

It's more complex than that. And I feel this is partially accurate for a focused analysis. Though I believe I may think differently about the subject: I think of a phone in terms of how it impacts my life. It's a broader consideration I think than that characterization zeros in on.

- "Phones as hardware"

Each Pixel model has been a compromise, hardware wise, relative to One Plus, and Samsung's home-grown CPU devices. Also one-off hardware issues appear sporadically in Pixel models.

I'm anxious about owning the Fold over its useful lifetime, as it could really turn into a crap storm. The screen implementation seems modest, so that's a plus, but I speculate there will be issues with internal components that impacts me, within 6 months, based on my prior Pixel experience. I am $pending for the extra coverage, to mitigate my worry.

Google's middling hardware is admirable for average users, more recently vs early generations. ["Q" comes to mind...hardly usable TV STB/gaming.]

- "Phones as a messaging and information utility ecosystem component"

The software updates (security) + Fi wireless service (no spams, simplicity) + photo app (novel) + discounts / trade-ins / rebates / freebies are beneficial. The rebates can negate the flagship prices, in my view mainly for those who invest in the ecosystem.

TL;DR: Case too expensive, superior 3rd party available. Phone excels due to ecosystem, hardware is designed for average users. Pay $ for ecosystem.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMystic

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Each Pixel model has been a compromise, hardware wise, relative to One Plus, and Samsung's home-grown CPU devices. Also one-off hardware issues appear sporadically in Pixel models.
That is true. They are plagued with modem issues, heating issues, battery drain, and other problems. From what I read on the internet, users living in colder environments are the ones who are mostly happy.

While I understand hardware problems are due to mediocre internals, what I don't understand is why there are plenty of software problems. There is way too little happening on the Pixels (which is a good thing) compared to phones from other brands, yet the software has many of the same problems seen on other brands, and more.

I'm anxious about owning the Fold over its useful lifetime, as it could really turn into a crap storm. The screen implementation seems modest, so that's a plus, but I speculate there will be issues with internal components that impacts me, within 6 months, based on my prior Pixel experience. I am $pending for the extra coverage, to mitigate my worry.
People are happy paying for being Beta testers.

Google's middling hardware is admirable for average users, more recently vs early generations. ["Q" comes to mind...hardly usable TV STB/gaming.]
Yes, Pixels are not meant for heavy use. So if you aren't a heavy user, you'll probably not complain as much.

The software updates (security) + Fi wireless service (no spams, simplicity) + photo app (novel) + discounts / trade-ins / rebates / freebies are beneficial. The rebates can negate the flagship prices, in my view mainly for those who invest in the ecosystem.

TL;DR: Case too expensive, superior 3rd party available. Phone excels due to ecosystem, hardware is designed for average users. Pay $ for ecosystem.
Not sure if these count as 'eco-system'.

When Google launched the first Pixel, it was a very average device, but with a unique benefit: unlimited Google Photos storage in original quality for life. Google offered that not just from a marketing perspective, but also because they knew their hardware was mediocre. Now that benefit too has been taken away.

Somehow, the iPhones' success that catapulted Apple to becoming a trillion dollar company is playing into the minds of other brands.

The iPhones are way too overpriced for what they offer (which is what made Apple a trillion dollar company), but the branding and marketing has ensured that consumers continue to view it as a premium product.

Yes they have something unique to offer and perform some things better than any other phone in the market, but the premium people are paying is NOT necessarily for a better experience, but for several other reasons such as being locked into an ecosystem (past purchases, subscriptions, other devices from Apple, etc.), unaware of how much better Android has become (they still think Android devices lag , stutter, freeze, etc.), owning something less common (iPhones sell more only in the USA and Japan; everywhere else it is Android that has a larger market share), etc.

There are some seriously annoying things about iPhones that people simply live with. Yet iPhones post positive growth most years. This is the same path that Google is unfortunately trying to chart for itself. Looking at the design choices being made for Google apps, there is more reason to believe this is true.

Fortunately, unlike iOS, Android is open source and available for adaptation by other brands. So far, most of them are doing a better job than Google.

If people choose Pixel because of a lack of choice in the market (or misconceptions about products from other brands), it is another story though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncr100

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
According to a Goog exec (Head of Design for Hardware Products, Ivy Ross) there was a second foldable deemed not good enough; a copy past from his comments in a podcast...

I’m really proud of the team because there was another foldable model that we had created, that we had the discipline to hold back and say ‘nope, it’s not good enough yet,’ and really wait until we felt like we could do something that was good enough or better than what was out there already.

rodken

Jan 11, 2010
Yes, Pixels are not meant for heavy use. So if you aren't a heavy user, you'll probably not complain as much.
I was also concerned about durability, but a Google rep released a demo reporting that the hinge has been torture tested for up to 200,000 folds, matching Samsung’s Z Fold’s durability claims. Plus, it’s made from a multi-alloy steel and the displays are made from Corning Gorilla Glass Victus.
-- Only real field testing among the masses will tell.

jairusz

From what the Z Fold 2 through 4 owners post on Reddit it's a bit alarming seeing pictures of the same crack down the center of the fold on the regular. Sure, they represent a small set of Fold owners but the fact that the screen breaking from the regular action of unfolding not even a year of ownership for each generation is worrying. Also some Galaxy Folds stop folding all the way after some time.

Hopefully Google actually produces a durable foldable and Samsung finally solves the spontaneous cracking of their inner screens with the Fold 5.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I was also concerned about durability, but a Google rep released a demo reporting that the hinge has been torture tested for up to 200,000 folds, matching Samsung’s Z Fold’s durability claims. Plus, it’s made from a multi-alloy steel and the displays are made from Corning Gorilla Glass Victus.
When I said Pixels aren't meant for heavy use, it wasn't really about the hinge or the glass, but the processor and battery. The phones heat up badly and start throttling, besides battery drain.

For Pixels in general, if you are an average user (no heavy tasks, no prolonged use), then you may not complain, especially if you live in a cold place. But for that kind of use, you might as well buy a budget device which are just as good (often better), and also available for much less. Pixels are like the base variant of any car, but selling at the price of fully loaded top-end variants.

It will be interesting to see how well the display holds up, even if the hinge lasts long enough. I don't have high hopes about this device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes. That's what happened when Pixels were Nexus. People just fell for the branding. Quality and brand image are two different things.

I'm talking of another company making the exact same phone without declaring association in any form with Google. That phone wouldn't sell if it were to be priced like the Pixels, even if everything is identical.

We are only talking of devices available in your market. If you like pixel because there are no other brands available in your region, then it is simply a lack of choice. I too wouldn't recommend importing a device meant for another region, because in case of a problem, it becomes a real headache with no local support.

They may not work on other devices in the exact same way as they do on Pixel, but are often good enough. But the compromises one has to make with the Pixels are just too many.

Absolutely. You should always choose what works best for you.

The issue here is only whether the phone is worth the money it is selling for. If you picked one at a good discount, then it is a good deal. Today, this tech has advanced to a point where even budget phones around the $300 mark perform daily tasks really well. The only real difference provided by expensive phones is the camera performance. My OP8T and iQOO Neo 6 do everything my S22U does just as efficiently, and the only thing that seprates the S22U is the camera performance.

So, no phone is bad. The question is just whether the price it is selling for is justified, given what the competition offers.

It is only meant for people who just want a Pixel fold. I wouldn't buy it even if it sells for $800.
    The thread is literally about the pixel fold you can only compare it to other foldables. If you compare the s23 to the fold 4 it destroys it. People buying the pixel fold want a foldable phone so most only have the choice pixel or Samsung. If you don't want a foldable of course there are much better value phones
    Please try to keep this thread friendly without any arguments. I didn't make this thread to make arguments. I asked for peoples opinion.
    Thanks.
    Clue is in the title isn't it " What do people think of the pixel fold" it wasn't " what do people think of users who are buying it"
    I don't think anyone needs a foldable phone, especially not an $1800 foldable phone. It's nothing more than an expensive toy for y'all to mess with in public so your pals (and total strangers) can see you have one. Don't get me wrong; I'm a Pixel fan and love great gear but seriously, no one needs a foldable phone. If we did, you'd see them every day everywhere. There's a reason they aren't selling well.
    Damn, there go those opinions stated as facts again.

It's an observation but I can think of many phones I wouldn't buy for a number of reasons and I'm on none of those forums. I mean, don't you have something better to do?

I also hope you your aware opinions aren't facts and your opinions are just that yours and no one else's