What does "the su binary is out of date " actually mean? Is there a way to manually fix this?

Search This thread

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Quick background: I want to start fresh with my Nook Tablet and leave out GApps this time, opting for microG instead. I'm familiar with all that entails and have done it on other devices.

The problem, in a nutshell: After wiping and reflashing the custom AOSP 7.0 ROM, I flash a small zip which contains and places the su binary (as far as I understand). Then I reboot and install a Superuser control app. I get "the su binary is out of date" message and do not have root.

I am following my own instructions from here when I first flashed the ROM with GApps. But now they don't work! Later in that thread a few people express problems with the same thing.

So...what does this "out of date" business actually mean? Is there a "use by" date on the su or something? That seems unlikely. I've tried all kinds of orders of operation with this thing but keep coming up with the same result. Searching around on line I can't seem to find any sort of explanation, just a lot of schemes, many dubious.

I've looked at SuperSU zip packages, but every one I try seems to be wanting system-less root and there is no way I know to unlock the bootloader.

I know that Magisk exists, but have never gotten into using it. I'd rather not, if possibe. I just don't see why something that worked a few years ago does not work now. It's not like it needs to contact a remote source for information.

As a last resort I could return to a backup and try to manually remove GApps but I'd really rather start with a clean ROM install and go from there. I need root to do what I want or I wouldn't bother with any of this.

Suggestions, explanations?

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
Reactions: nmyshkin

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
every rooting solution's su binary is different from traditional linux su.

it simply means the su binary does not fit the Superuser app. according to support thread you still can grant root and just update su binary straight from within the app (won't work with foreign su)
https://xdaforums.com/t/phhs-superuser-opensource-selinux-capable-superuser.3216394/post-64823952
Yeah, but it (the apk) doesn't do anything. And the links in the thread you reference to updated zips, etc., all give 403 errors.

I "understand" the concept of matching the su binary with the superuser controller app, but I can't see how a combination that once worked now does not. That's what is frustrating. Like it's magic.

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
most likely there is a foreign leftover su (chainfire's SuperSU or something else?) which is not granting access to phhusson's Superuser.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
most likely there is a foreign leftover su (chainfire's SuperSU or something else?) which is not granting access to phhusson's Superuser.
Could be. A TWRP examination of /system/bin shows no sign of su (no wonder it needs "updating"). Meanwhile, /system/superuser is chock full of SuperSU stuff and the phh stuff, including a copy of su. So clear all that out and start again.

I guess I need to check if su is actually placed in /system/bin after flashing the zip package. Otherwise...maybe just put it there myself?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
afaik all custom binaries belong to /system/xbin which is also in path. what's wrong with systemless-root in boot?
latest official SR3-SuperSU-v2.79-SR3-20170114223742.zip by Chainfire is capable of.
Before flashing the su zip there is an su already present in /system/xbin. After flashing, there is also an su present in /system/bin. And yes, I wiped thoroughly (twice).

I was surprised at the su already in /system/xbin. Out of curiosity I booted up another tablet running CM 13. It, too contains su in both locations, but the dates on the files are very different. The one in /system/bin is today's date, while the one in /system/xbin is sometime back in 2009 (like when the ROM was perhaps cooked up). Turns out even my ancient Nook Simple Touch (which is rooted) has an su in both locations.

Anyway, I see there is clearly an su newly placed in /system/bin now that I've flashed the su zip package. So it should work when the controller app is installed...

None of the Chainfire zips I have tried will work. They all seem to want the bootloader unlocked and so each one fails.

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
yes, Magisk app also includes Superuser app (second tab on bottom). how is that related to my question? Did you finally read about what su daemon is, and how the Superuser app grants requesting apps to hook up to daemon?

or do you still insist every Superuser app can just work with every su, or root access can be achieved by just toybox su (like linux su)? if so, please link the toybox used for, so I can test it myself.

Last edited:

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
I have asked clear question, please tell us which toybox or su binary will work for getting root shell.

where shoud I place it? what permissions should I set, and how?
official toybox

Screenshot_2023-02-06-14-50-29-033_jackpal.androidterm.jpg

BTW:
wasn't it you the one who called me an idiot two times when confronted with your false claims?

Last edited:

alecxs

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
First, this toybox is missing important applets without android smartphone wouldn't work properly anymore. That's why one must not replace toybox.

second, you still haven't answered the question which location and permissions one must set.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-02-07-09-12-10-781_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-07-09-12-10-781_com.android.chrome.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2023-02-07-09-17-41-870_jackpal.androidterm.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-02-07-09-17-41-870_jackpal.androidterm.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 9

Top Liked Posts