What DON'T you like about the M8?

Search This thread

daboyal006

Jan 28, 2013
Camera.. they could of even raised it to 5 ultra pixel ..why stay with 4 and they removed optical stabilization ?? Everything else about the phone is gorgeous. A little slippery also

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using xda app-developers app

treIII

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6
This camera just sunk the ship we know as HTC. Last years phone didn't do well and this will do worse. Can't believe they shot their self in the foot after all the bad reviews of the camera last year. At the point of time when comparing the release dates of m7 and m8 the m7 is a much better phone last year than this phone is this year. The sales will more than likely be worse and IMO when someone pays this much for a phone yes they should expect a good high quality camera for at least cell phone abililities. Comparing apples to apples this camera is terrible. I've bought an HTC phone for the past 4 years and this phone sent me away. I'll keep my n5. I didn't pay a lot and I got what I paid for. The m8 metal looks great but beyond that the proportioning is hideous. With were they thinking? This phone could be much smaller. And a phone this big in length should have more screen size. They added screen size but the on screen navigation buttons take up the added space. HTC did great with the m7 and all the innovations. Other than the looks of the metal body which looks great this phone will be a flop IMO to the people are ho have stayed true to HTC. The speakers are the biggest selling point to me now. The phone looks really awkward and the length makes the screen look very skinny. The here's to change campaign just got totally dumped. Why htc ? Why?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: HtcOneJon

Frankie1588

Sep 26, 2011
So I saw someone else say on the VZW forums how the HTC One M8 for Verizon doesn't include the flashlight, but it does on other variants. Does anyone who has a variant from anyone other than VZW have a stock browser app? Just want to make sure its not just missing from the VZW variant and I could get an apk.

Raech

Aug 7, 2010
Louisville
Well if it exists I can't find it. No way to turn down vibration for calls and notifications. No way to one button set it to turn off all vibrations that I can see. Some apps do not have this option in their app. Annoying.

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
Well if it exists I can't find it. No way to turn down vibration for calls and notifications. No way to one button set it to turn off all vibrations that I can see. Some apps do not have this option in their app. Annoying.

I bet your flashlight/torch is a widget.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jspradling7

Nov 12, 2011
Houston
I case someone is interested, if you don't use the swipe up motion from the bottom of the screen to start Google Now you can use that swipe up motion turn the screen off. Install the Screen Off app and activate it. The next time you swipe up it will ask if you want to use Google Now or Screen off.

I happen to hate the power button being on top of the phone so being able to double tap screen off while using Apex or Nova, or swipe up screen off on the factory launcher solves the problem for me.

Reactions: dbdynsty25

EVOme

Jun 3, 2010
I case someone is interested, if you don't use the swipe up motion from the bottom of the screen to start Google Now you can use that swipe up motion turn the screen off. Install the Screen Off app and activate it. The next time you swipe up it will ask if you want to use Google Now or Screen off.

I happen to hate the power button being on top of the phone so being able to double tap screen off while using Apex or Nova, or swipe up screen off on the factory launcher solves the problem for me.

Which app are you talking about for the stock launcher? By Katecca?

HtcOneJon

Dec 5, 2013
I have tried every phone, and owned most of them. Have to say I loved my HTC One, more than the Z1 I replaced it with, and more than the S4 I am using temporarily now (I love new phones). One thing that disappointed me with the One was the low MP count, although I could live with it.

Up to now, the best camera phones i've used have been the HTC One M7 and the S4, both of which almost match each other side by side for quality, with the M7 winning out on the Wide angle and being able to fit more into a shot, more quickly, and the S4 winning out on an overall great pic which you could zoom into.

The M8, as much as I hate to say it disappoints me. Mainly because the buttons should of remained off the screen like the S4 preserving the 5" for useage, and the Camera needed a bump to 8MP in my honest opinion.

The pictures seem to have odd noise, and blurry focus in random places on the pictures.

Wonderful phone still, but not worth an upgrade from M7 in my opinion.

Cannot fathom why the default launcher and daydream don't autorotate when everything else does. Come on, already, it's KitKat, not froyo. One other thing, I LOVE that you can display the battery percentage. I have literally rooted phones solely for that purpose. So why can't we make the icon disappear when the percentage is there? Makes no "sense."

dbdynsty25

Jul 13, 2010
Newbury Park, CA
So I saw someone else say on the VZW forums how the HTC One M8 for Verizon doesn't include the flashlight, but it does on other variants. Does anyone who has a variant from anyone other than VZW have a stock browser app? Just want to make sure its not just missing from the VZW variant and I could get an apk.

The At&t version does NOT have a flashlight included, but it does have the stock HTC Browser as well as Chrome.

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
I'm not a fan on the size of the phone. Coming from the M7 I actually liked the size of the previous model. Just seems a bit too big for me. Also hate the fact that the boot loader is locked unless I'm missing something. (vzw)

Overall I like the phone. So these are real nit picks.

I've said "phone is too big" on the last 5 phones. So I will know in a year or so :)

The phone is way to slick feeling too. Like there is lacquer over the aluminum. The M7 felt anodized.

I put E-Grip on all my phones. But you HAVE to put a case or something on this phone or it will be in the toilet sooner or later.

M7 buttons drove me crazy being too flush. But now I might be back to shutting the phone down when I stoop by holding power button in (I keep it in my front pocket).

I don't like the chrome around the edge.

I find the antenna status a bit annoying. It seems to be grabbing LTE better than M7.

Not sure I like gesture unlock. I can't clean the screen with out powering it off.

My Exchange email is only showing half my Calendar entries. Not sure where that problem is, could be work.

My Weather clock just disappeared.

Not sure I like the on screen home buttons. I seem to have a dance with them here and there.

Single camera is pretty good. Duo is a gimmick, plain as day. I will have my eye on the G5 but most likely will keep M8.

It really isn't a huge upgrade over the M7, I'm glad my wife is keeping our M7.

the_passenger

Aug 25, 2006
Design wise, I wished HTC should have used the capacitive buttons at the bottom black stripe. The Back button, the logo should be the Home button, and Recent button (just like how they have them with the DNA)

Maybe the M9 will be like that.

cy88

Nov 14, 2010
I wish the font size can go at least one step smaller like the G2 does.

homer285

Jun 4, 2006
HTC logo taking up realestate, the corners are too rounded compared to the M7, camera is not much improvement on the M7 especially video since OIS is not incorporated, no 32gb or 64gb device offered in Aus at launch unlike last year, (price is ridiculous at over $900 retail! honestly who's gonna pay that?)too long and ugly back when compared to M7. Basically a little disappointing I was so excited for this release Im sure its an awesome device but Im gonna hang on to my red 64gb M7 and wait for something else.

Reactions: mgymnop

mswlogo

Dec 15, 2004
Boston
HTC logo taking up realestate, the corners are too rounded compared to the M7, camera is not much improvement on the M7 especially video since OIS is not incorporated, no 32gb or 64gb device offered in Aus at launch unlike last year, (price is ridiculous at over $900 retail! honestly who's gonna pay that?)too long and ugly back when compared to M7. Basically a little disappointing I was so excited for this release Im sure its an awesome device but Im gonna hang on to my red 64gb M7 and wait for something else.

I guarantee there isn't "air" under that logo. They probably could have kept it shorter if they went with a smaller battery then folks would ***** about that.

Battery life seems amazing so far.

Reactions: cy88

homer285

Jun 4, 2006
I guarantee there isn't "air" under that logo. They probably could have kept it shorter if they went with a smaller battery then folks would ***** about that.

Battery life seems amazing so far.
I dont doubt that for a second, however, consider this, the M8 can only live in "air" some of this years competition can do it in wet and dusty environments, it may seem insignificant but I bet you any money it wont be!

Oh and battery life well that remains to be seen, the device has only been released a few days surely not enough time to thoroughly (insert correct word here my brain cant find it) the battery. I want to love the M-ate just has too many things running against it for me.

Last edited:
G

GuestK00431

I dont doubt that for a second, however, consider this, the M8 can only live in "air" some of this years competition can do it in wet and dusty environments, it may seem insignificant but I bet you any money it wont be!

Oh and battery life well that remains to be seen, the device has only been released a few days surely not enough time to thoroughly (insert correct word here my brain cant find it) the battery. I want to love the M-ate just has too many things running against it for me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396080730551.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396080730551.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 320

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread Re-Opened

Now that I've cleaned up all those posts, I don't expect to have to do so again!

Apparently people aren't allowed to have opinions on the internet :eek:

If someone posts an opinion you don't like, don't reply to it. If someone posts something offensive, report it. If someone is arguing, report it. It's really not difficult.

Now, stick to the forum rules, stick to what I've said above and get back to having a discussion, NOT an argument.

Regards,
    - KidCarter93
    Forum Moderator
    1. Too heavy.

2. Too tall.

3. Black bottom bezel is hideous.

4. No double tap to sleep. (WTF?)

5. Camera aside from low light.
    I prefer the more symmetrical design of the m7, the two tone aesthetics, front AND back machine edged bezels, size, etc...ntm ois & beats. At least the black bar on the original is host to the capacitive buttons. The on screen keys just diminish usable screen real estate anyway - untill custom roms provide a means to eliminate them that is...

Sent from my Blue M7
    Things i dont like:
    The wasted bezel area - Maybe they had issues with pushing the screen closer to the edges, but I cant fathom why they would leave that black bar with no function at all.
    The size - Yes, making it out of mostly metal will increase its size a little, but the M8 grew by a lot. Whats inside of this device that requires that much space?
    The power button position - FFS HTC, put the button on the side (either side) and leave it there!!!
    The camera - Basically the biggest complaint people had about the M7 and they did nothing to address it. Incredible that they didnt get this pushed up to at least 5mp.

I sometimes wonder if HTC throw away last years design data and use a fresh batch of engineers for every flagship they develop. It seems like they always start from scratch and try to re-invent perfection or make no improvements at all. Perfection should be refined, not re-invented. It feels like little refinement was done on the M8 compared to the M7, Apple and Samsung are very good at refining their flagships. This is why many complain, we see what Apple and Samsung can do and wonder why HTC cant do it too.

All that said, im a fan of HTC, Ive had a new HTC device every single year for the past decade, way back starting with the XDAii mini. This year may be year where i dont get a new one. If there truly is no way to have capacitive buttons on that black bar, then i will hang on to my M7. For some reason having all that space there starting at me serving no purpose at all, really really bugs me. :silly:
    The three biggest problems I have:
    - The phone is too large for this screen size. It's much taller than similar phones and even close to the Note 3 (5.5 inch) than to the Galaxy S4 (5 inch). The black bar below the screen is the problem here. Without it, the phone would have the right size.
    - The camera. Why 4 MP - again? All the reviews show the same problems like before. What good is the larger sensor if there aren't enough pixels to shoot sharp images? They just shifted the low light problem in other camera phones to another imho much bigger problem.
    - The position of the power button couldn't be any worse.

i like The position of the power button a lot better then m7 ,well thats my opinion :D