What have you replaced on ZE551ML

uniacidz

Apr 13, 2011
Hey all

Thought write up and ask what others have bought and changed on their ASUS ZE551ML

Thought maybe share any experiences on what to buy or not buy from

I have changed
Wi-Fi antenna
USB board
Vibrator
Battery
Flex cable
Screen and frame and LCD in one

With the replacement screens and frame combo with LCD, you have to also bring across from the original the camera lens foam or create one as stops dust getting on lens

And that Wi-Fi antenna, so small had to use a microscope tool to see where plugs into

Vibrator connector also breaks easy as well

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD [MM .352] [MaGiSk RooT] [uNLoCkEd]

Last edited:

Ragarianok

Nov 7, 2010
Lafayette
I've changed the speaker, battery, and the lower board, but the thing I've changed the most is the screen. The screen was cracked when I first received my phone, and I've cracked it twice more since I've owned it. Probably shouldn't try to hold onto it while playing with my dogs, haha. I actually have a replacement screen coming in right now.

Magister54

Dec 18, 2012
Montréal
Nothing yet, but I ordered an LCD+frame because I got the infamous tearing problem. At the same time I will replace my power button that is kind of stuck and does not work properly.

uniacidz

Apr 13, 2011
I've changed the speaker, battery, and the lower board, but the thing I've changed the most is the screen. The screen was cracked when I first received my phone, and I've cracked it twice more since I've owned it. Probably shouldn't try to hold onto it while playing with my dogs, haha. I actually have a replacement screen coming in right now.
Haha you're a legend at it then, changing the screens and opening it up

Did you transfer the camera surround foam across?
I initially didn't and within a couple months the front camera and touch sensor behind the underside of the glass had like white dust and affected the selfie camera

Ragarianok

Nov 7, 2010
Lafayette

I initially didn't and within a couple months the front camera and touch sensor behind the underside of the glass had like white dust and affected the selfie camera

I honestly don't remember if I did or not. I haven't had any issues with the FFC either way.

When I said I've changed the screen, I meant that I just ordered the screen + frame assembly. I've only changed the itself on a phone once and I'm never going to attempt to diu that again; it was too much effort and the adhesive ended up bring poor quality.

Magister54

Dec 18, 2012
Montréal

I just changed mine, I transferred the foam/rubber for the front camera, the upper speaker, a tiny bit of foam in the lower right corner, and also the notification LED has a kind of opaque square at the bottom and a piece of square white rubber you have to put on the new frame too. I first forgot it and when I had a notification I was directly seeing the LED on the PCB :)

EDIT: I used this youtube video for the how-to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieSFL0kIsAI

Last edited:
Reactions: uniacidz

uniacidz

Apr 13, 2011
I just changed mine, I transferred the foam/rubber for the front camera, the upper speaker, a tiny bit of foam in the lower right corner, and also the notification LED has a kind of opaque square at the bottom and a piece of square white rubber you have to put on the new frame too. I first forgot it and when I had a notification I was directly seeing the LED on the PCB :)

EDIT: I used this youtube video for the how-to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieSFL0kIsAI
Exactly what I had to do with the new frame after finding out I did it wrong after putting it all back together and then of course had to take it apart again

My fix for the sponge/rubber around both cameras and also the sensors worked and no dust gets under them anymore

sukhwant717

Mar 17, 2015
Amritsar
Hey all

Thought write up and ask what others have bought and changed on their ASUS ZE551ML

I have changed
Wi-Fi antenna
USB board
Vibrator
Battery
Flex cable

With the replacement screens and frame combo with LCD, you have to also bring across from the original the camera lens foam or create one as stops dust getting on lens

And that Wi-Fi antenna, so small had to use a microscope tool to see where plugs into

LCD with frame
touch screen only
speaker
usb charging board
antenna connector jumper with wire
memory chip from 16 gb to 64 gb
charging ic
one short to ground capacitor on cpu core circuit.
removed one resistor on antenna line
sim flex
volume button flex
back cover
power button

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

I think i need to replace my battery... the problem is getting a new one :/
buy from aliexpress. the cheapest one.

Last edited:

Exnor

Jan 9, 2012
LX

LCD with frame
touch screen only
speaker
usb charging board
antenna connector jumper with wire
memory chip from 16 gb to 64 gb
charging ic
one short to ground capacitor on cpu core circuit.
removed one resistor on antenna line
sim flex
volume button flex
back cover
power button

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 AM ----------

buy from aliexpress. the cheapest one.
Dude so many replacements... would be easier to just get a new one no?

Sure Aliexpress have the batteries but they are 3rd party and they don't mention the manufacturing date :/ Going to all the trouble to replace the current one to another that might be worse, i don't really want to take that chance. My battery appears to have what i think is some cells damaged or some bad voltage reader, because when it reaches 25% it it goes rapidly to near zero in a few minutes :/ but besides that it actually last what appears to be on par with the duration (charge) announced.

sukhwant717

Mar 17, 2015
Amritsar
Dude so many replacements... would be easier to just get a new one no?

Sure Aliexpress have the batteries but they are 3rd party and they don't mention the manufacturing date :/ Going to all the trouble to replace the current one to another that might be worse, i don't really want to take that chance. My battery appears to have what i think is some cells damaged or some bad voltage reader, because when it reaches 25% it it goes rapidly to near zero in a few minutes :/ but besides that it actually last what appears to be on par with the duration (charge) announced.
actually i got 4,5 devices for development purpose and was declared motherboard dead by service center. i was able to revive them with SOC only. so i did experiment with replacing chip. some of them had issue with certain part and broken screen. that happened to my very own purchased.

i bought from ali and it is working very well. you may get one with manufactured date mention on it

Reactions: Exnor

diamatajm

Oct 4, 2014
Hey all

I have changed
Wi-Fi antenna
USB board
Vibrator
Battery
Flex cable

Damn that's too much.

Mine was:

LCD
Battery (3x, the 1st one got wet on a rave event. 2nd one was a bad batch, I have the 3rd now)
Speakers
USB board, Charging pin (2x)
LCD Screen
Glass Lens
Back Cover (bought the deluxe skin)

Tongkayla

Feb 12, 2015
Rizal
Is aliexpress safe? I'm seeing multiple stuffs that I wanted to buy for my zenfone 2 for a very affordable price but I am afraid my items wont get delivered or something.

emailumia520

Apr 21, 2017
Negeri Sembilan
I fried my flex antenna a while ago. And one time i already buy the cover that with the camera lens but without the flex antenna. I didn't check the page throughly. The seller did say that the cover didn't have any antenna on it. I just want to tell you guyz if you want to buy the cover, do check the page throughly, read all, check all images. I knew the it didnt have the flex antenna after i check all of the images.

Happy Feet

Nov 2, 2007
Athens
www.decolighting.gr
sorry for bringing this up but need some help...!

i just got a damaged zenfone 2 where i replaced bottom pcb and speaker and it is in a working state . but i do have a big problem with the wifi signal. it is very weak and i have to stand next to my router to get wifi.
is there any fix around. i suspect i did something on my last repair but i dont know what . other than that the phone is working ok now.

in my previous asus i have replaced
3 times the lcd
3 times usb port
2 speakers

but on my last disassembly i damaged the antenna cable socket on the motherboard so it wasn't working on sim1.... probably i need a new mobo.

MarauderARG

Jun 9, 2018
Buenos aires
I need to change the screen, I fell, the screen broke and the touch works badly, I can't get the spare in my country

Any idea ?

EDIT: and i need the Power button, when fell i lost the button

Last edited: