What HTC and Verizon say about disabled FM Radio...

oneders65

Feb 12, 2008
Plainview, TX
HTC Technical Support
www.htc.com
Customer Information
Name oneders65
Telephone
Email Address [email protected]
Country United States
Inquiry Information
Inquiry Type Technical Support

Inquiry Description Is the FM Radio Disabled on the Touch Pro 2 for Verizon? If it is why are you crippling the phone? I like to use the phone to its fullest potential and get aggrivated that there is a feature that is locked out!
Issue Date & Time
2009/09/16 06:32

New Response From [ Philip (North America Support (Tech)) ]
Hello oneders65,

I understand how important it is to be able to best utilize your device. The FM radio being disabled is not a choice that was made by HTC; each carrier makes their own specifications for their devices. In this case, Verizon requested that the FM radio not be available on their version of the Touch Pro2. It is possible that they have their own radio software; it is possible that it is something they will make available in a future update. However, there is unfortunately nothing that HTC Technical Support can do to unlock this feature, as we cannot go against the wishes of the carrier who purchased the device from us. For more information and possible ways around this, you may wish to visit our user forum at www.htcwiki.com.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us again. You can find additional support at our user forum www.htcwiki.com. There is also a customer satisfaction survey for you to take if you are interested.

Philip

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tue Sep 15 09:25:32 EDT 2009

To: [email protected]

Cc:

Subject: Phones Currently Offered

Form Message

MAIL_ADDRESS: [email protected]

Market ID: Central Texas

Zip Code: 79072

Full Name: oneders65

Email Address: [email protected]

Primary Subject: Phones and Accessories

Secondary Subject: Phones Currently Offered

Message Body: Why is the FM Radio disabled on the Touch Pro 2? Locking out features gives us a reason to go to the other networks. I'm up for renewal but am going to hold off. If the other carriers offer the same phone without functions disabled why not go to the competition???????

Dear oneders65,

My name is Harlan, I will be more than happy to assist you with your inquiry about FM Radio.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the fact that FM Radio can not be accessed on the Touch Pro 2. Decisions on what applications and functions will be available on our phones are made by our Marketing Department, and can not be overridden. There are no current plans to offer FM Radio on this device in the future.

Although the feature you would like is not available on the Touch Pro 2 at this time, I invite you to view our current phone selection as a possible alternative. To view available equipment, please click on the following link, which will direct you to the "Products" page of our website:

www.verizonwireless.com/products

You may also receive free e-mail updates as to when new products and services are available. To receive your free e-mail update, please click on the following link to view the "E-mail Updates" page of our website:

Be the First to Know

There are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect. Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services, features, and wireless phones we offer to our customers for their communication needs.

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. It was a pleasure to assist you today.

Sincerely,

Harlan

Verizon Wireless

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

Poke_N_PDA

Jul 26, 2005
Edmond, OK
in the touch pro the FM radio was part of the bluetooth chip. If the phone had bluetooth it had an FM radio. I'm guessing it's the same way in the pro2. If so, not having enough room is irrelevant. We won't know till we get a teardown. I haven't been able to find one online of any pro2. Anyone know of one?

helirob

Oct 15, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Probably more speculation, but my Sprint corporate account rep says they were told the radios are disabled because they want people to spend money on the Sprint Music Store.

kierandill

Feb 10, 2008
in the touch pro the FM radio was part of the bluetooth chip. If the phone had bluetooth it had an FM radio. I'm guessing it's the same way in the pro2. If so, not having enough room is irrelevant. We won't know till we get a teardown. I haven't been able to find one online of any pro2. Anyone know of one?
There's teardown pics over here, now....
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87598

papeluv

Dec 13, 2006
Alabama
I'm just happy that the M key is in the right place. I had a TP1 where the N and M key is separated by the "up arrow" for about a week and that absolutely drove me nuts!

Poke_N_PDA

Jul 26, 2005
Edmond, OK
There's teardown pics over here, now....
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87598
Thanks. Okay, from what I've seen there are much smarter people working on this than me. I'm not going to be able to solve it, but I can keep up better than most. From what it says the chipset for the Bluetooth is the BCM4325. Here's a link to the description of it.

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Bluetooth/Bluetooth-RF-Silicon-and-Software-Solutions/BCM4325

So there is our confirmation that our TP2's have an FM reciever. We just have to figure out what Sprint did and how to use it. I'm guessing it probably won't be more than another few weeks before someone has it working.

saigneur thor

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks. Okay, from what I've seen there are much smarter people working on this than me. I'm not going to be able to solve it, but I can keep up better than most. From what it says the chipset for the Bluetooth is the BCM4325. Here's a link to the description of it.

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Bluetooth/Bluetooth-RF-Silicon-and-Software-Solutions/BCM4325

So there is our confirmation that our TP2's have an FM reciever. We just have to figure out what Sprint did and how to use it. I'm guessing it probably won't be more than another few weeks before someone has it working.
hi all !!

yes the TP2 have a fm tuner, because it works fine on mine, thanks to this forum.