What is BusyBox? (in English)

Search This thread

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
What is BusyBox and why do I need it? The definition doesn't make sense. Programmer jargon... would like to understand with proper English

Busybox allows you or programs to perform actions on your phone using Linux (copied from Unix) commands. Android is basically a specialized Linux OS with a Java compatible (Dalvik) machine for running programs. The Android kernel is a modified version of the Linux kernel (that is why the Android kernel must always be open source). Busybox gives functionality to your phone that it does not have without it. Many programs, especially root programs such as Titanium Backup, require busybox to perform the functions of the program. Without busybox installed your phone is much more limited in what it can do.

moeahmad1995

May 3, 2011
Chicago
I made sure I thanked you. Always been wondering what busy box is. Just wondering u need busy box for root right?

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Dr. Bogenbroom

Aug 24, 2011
From Busybox.net

BusyBox: The Swiss Army Knife of Embedded Linux

BusyBox combines tiny versions of many common UNIX utilities into a single small executable. It provides replacements for most of the utilities you usually find in GNU fileutils, shellutils, etc. The utilities in BusyBox generally have fewer options than their full-featured GNU cousins; however, the options that are included provide the expected functionality and behave very much like their GNU counterparts. BusyBox provides a fairly complete environment for any small or embedded system.

That's pretty plain English there. If you don't get the gist of it from that and jbox's explanation then you need to spend some time in Linux and a shell environment.

eagle1967

Jan 3, 2010
no

I made sure I thanked you. Always been wondering what busy box is. Just wondering u need busy box for root right?

you do not need busy box to have root.
But many root apps as well as settings in custom roms use busybox to run the scripts that make them work. so while you can root without busybox you are very limited as to what you can do with it.
so while you dont need it to have the phone rooted. its still prety much needed to take advantage of that rooting :)

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
But many root apps as well as settings in custom roms use busybox to run the scripts that make them work. so while you can root without busybox you are very limited as to what you can do with it.
so while you dont need it to have the phone rooted. its still prety much needed to take advantage of that rooting :)

You beat me to it. Well put.

Attachments

• busybox-g2x.jpg
    busybox-g2x.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 9,835
Last edited:

blestsol

Jul 24, 2010
Baltimore
From Busybox.net

That's pretty plain English there. If you don't get the gist of it from that and jbox's explanation then you need to spend some time in Linux and a shell environment.

Always somebody that has to say something like this.
"If you cant possibly understand the simplicity of greatness then this isnt for you."
:rolleyes:

Dr. Bogenbroom

Aug 24, 2011
"If you cant possibly understand the simplicity of greatness then this isnt for you."
Didn't quite say it wasn't for them now did I? In order to understand something you aren't familiar with you have to be taught no? Self or otherwise. What's wrong with suggesting some shell time in order to better understand...shell-like ideas? :eek:

Many people learn best by doing. Reading all that you can read from another's perspective won't have the same impact as simple trial and error for the majority of people.

Last edited:

Bl4ckr4v3n

Oct 2, 2014
As already earlier stated in the thread, Busybox is light like a Swiss army knife, on the other hand you have a heavy toolbox full of tools with one tool for one job.
If you don't need full options, Busybox fits your needs. If you want full options from a utility, make sure you have that utility installed.

Reactions: Snowby123

Atharkhan101

Account currently disabled
As already earlier stated in the thread, Busybox is light like a Swiss army knife, on the other hand you have a heavy toolbox full of tools with one tool for one job.
If you don't need full options, Busybox fits your needs. If you want full options from a utility, make sure you have that utility installed.
Could you please tell me the top 3 thing which i can modify or useful functions of busybox. Its hard to understand what does it actually do.

rjbweb

Jan 22, 2012
busybox Is in the back ground?

Am I correct in assuming that Busybox works in the background and that no normal intervention from the user is required?

shailesh178

May 20, 2014
Busybox allows you or programs to perform actions on your phone using Linux (copied from Unix) commands. Android is basically a specialized Linux OS with a Java compatible (Dalvik) machine for running programs. The Android kernel is a modified version of the Linux kernel (that is why the Android kernel must always be open source). Busybox gives functionality to your phone that it does not have without it. Many programs, especially root programs such as Titanium Backup, require busybox to perform the functions of the program. Without busybox installed your phone is much more limited in what it can do.

Is busybox also need some battery to run.., ??

Gawd

Jan 26, 2015
Let me put some life in this thread.

In the most simplest words, BusyBox doesn't provide a UX(visual appearance) but works inside and makes your phone more compatible for root Apps. It increases the functionality in simple words. So install BusyBox if you have root, even if you don't know what it does. The Apps you would use in the future may require it. It has no harms (am I correct?)

Reactions: Twisted Prime

noparts

Jan 19, 2017
OK, I get it; however, I am wondering if I should consider it normal for BusyBox to be running random scripts in my router? I'm no IT, but some of the logs I am seeing look kind of odd. Is this SOP for - say Android on TMobile?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is BusyBox and why do I need it? The definition doesn't make sense. Programmer jargon... would like to understand with proper English

no

From Busybox.net

From Busybox.net

BusyBox combines tiny versions of many common UNIX utilities into a single small executable. It provides replacements for most of the utilities you usually find in GNU fileutils, shellutils, etc. The utilities in BusyBox generally have fewer options than their full-featured GNU cousins; however, the options that are included provide the expected functionality and behave very much like their GNU counterparts. BusyBox provides a fairly complete environment for any small or embedded system.