• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

What is the difference between EFS and persist partition ?

Search This thread

osemoka

May 13, 2013
Bydgoszcz
Hey. Can anybody tell me the difference between those two ? I know it's recommended to backup them before os migration. I read that both of them stores information about imei, mac etc. Do I need both of them to safely migrate to new os'es?

Last edited:

NZedPred

Mar 16, 2016
Wellington
Samsung Galaxy A72 4G
The short of it is that your Persist holds the key files needed to create your IMEI, and it is used to construct your EFS. EFS effectively works as a cache. If you wipe EFS, then as long as you have an intact Persist, your EFS will be reconstructed, and you will keep your IMEI.

Credits to this thread for working out the relationship between Persist and IMEI (it is talking about the investigation into how to restore IMEI when it is 0 after flashing Oreo custom roms):
https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/how-to/dev-fixing-baseband-t3806064

Even though it is for potter (G5 Plus), it still applies to Sanders.

5P4RT0N

Dec 30, 2014
kochi
doubt

The short of it is that your Persist holds the key files needed to create your IMEI, and it is used to construct your EFS. EFS effectively works as a cache. If you wipe EFS, then as long as you have an intact Persist, your EFS will be reconstructed, and you will keep your IMEI.

Credits to this thread for working out the relationship between Persist and IMEI (it is talking about the investigation into how to restore IMEI when it is 0 after flashing Oreo custom roms):
https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/how-to/dev-fixing-baseband-t3806064

Even though it is for potter (G5 Plus), it still applies to Sanders.

if i have someone else persist the imei not reconstructing with their value why...??
they are keeping some values somewhere else ...

osemoka

May 13, 2013
Bydgoszcz
Last edited:

NZedPred

Mar 16, 2016
Wellington
Samsung Galaxy A72 4G
So my question is : Persist is just a 2nd safety measure, which can help if we loose EF? So can I do those backups from custom softs and there will be no difference if i did it from official soft? My imei's are not lost.

There's a little bit more to it than that. OTAs normally wipe the EFS on install, so it's not that persist is a safety measure, it is the primary means of getting your IMEI. Additionally, there are certain folders that are used when using things like 4G, Volte, etc. A number of other things get stored there, such as files for widevine (DRM), calibration for sensors, etc. That's why it is so important.

Edit 1
I backed up persist with TWRP from this topic https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g5s-plus/help/how-to-persist-partion-moto-g5s-t3830442
How do I know if its allright ?

I can't tell what that specific version of TWRP does to backup persist, but if it's done as an image it will be about 32MB, or if it's done as 'files only' it will be around 3-400KB.

Reactions: osemoka

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So my question is : Persist is just a 2nd safety measure, which can help if we loose EF? So can I do those backups from custom softs and there will be no difference if i did it from official soft? My imei's are not lost.

There's a little bit more to it than that. OTAs normally wipe the EFS on install, so it's not that persist is a safety measure, it is the primary means of getting your IMEI. Additionally, there are certain folders that are used when using things like 4G, Volte, etc. A number of other things get stored there, such as files for widevine (DRM), calibration for sensors, etc. That's why it is so important.

Edit 1
    I backed up persist with TWRP from this topic https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g5s-plus/help/how-to-persist-partion-moto-g5s-t3830442
    How do I know if its allright ?

I can't tell what that specific version of TWRP does to backup persist, but if it's done as an image it will be about 32MB, or if it's done as 'files only' it will be around 3-400KB.