Question What is the Email app that you use?

Search This thread

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
Well with the info in this thread, I switched to Fairemail about a month ago and loved it. Got it all set up how I want and customized. Unfortunately, the developer has decided to end it so now am looking for a replacement. Too bad as it really was a very good app. He does still have the app available outside of the Play Store I think, but I have not gotten comfortable with that process as of yet.

I am comparing AquaMail, BlueMail, and Spark now. I like BlueMail but both it and Spark have a lot of recent reviews of problems that have come up with recent Android versions and not much, if any developer response. AquaMail seems good also, but the free version gets dinged for all the ads and the paid/$20.00 version only has a 3.8 rating in the Play Store and lots of complaints about intrusive popup advertising for other apps that the AquaMail developers have. So still a lot of research to do before I can replace Fairemail. Hopefully Fairemail will continue to work for a while as finding a new email app is not an easy task.

hand-filer

Sep 21, 2021
Elmwood
Well with the info in this thread, I switched to Fairemail about a month ago and loved it. Got it all set up how I want and customized. Unfortunately, the developer has decided to end it so now am looking for a replacement. Too bad as it really was a very good app. He does still have the app available outside of the Play Store I think, but I have not gotten comfortable with that process as of yet.

I am comparing AquaMail, BlueMail, and Spark now. I like BlueMail but both it and Spark have a lot of recent reviews of problems that have come up with recent Android versions and not much, if any developer response. AquaMail seems good also, but the free version gets dinged for all the ads and the paid/$20.00 version only has a 3.8 rating in the Play Store and lots of complaints about intrusive popup advertising for other apps that the AquaMail developers have. So still a lot of research to do before I can replace Fairemail. Hopefully Fairemail will continue to work for a while as finding a new email app is not an easy task.
Well that bites. I bought the Pro version a while back.

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
I have been using GMail for yrs.. No plans on chaging.
I have always used Gmail before I went to Fairemail a month or so ago. Fairemail ruined me for email apps and I will likely never be completely happy again with one.

I don't mind Gmail but for a few things. One is the way Google refuses to integrate a true unified inbox. Annoying to have to keep switching between or manually combine them choosing the menu and then "All inboxes" every time you use the app. But I can deal with that if not for the problem Gmail has had for years with delayed notifications of new emails.

The delay is discussed in many places, including here and Android Central. Google knows about it for years but has done nothing. I, and probably thousands of others, have tried every suggestion from battery, to background, (literally 15 or 20 different suggestions), to keep the Gmail app awake but the only thing that works is what I did for years on my old Pixel phone, a batch file to prevent Doze. That worked but has to be run by connecting your phone to your Windows computer and running the file every time the phone is restarted. Nothing else has worked.

There are some that claim they never get delayed notifications. But I think either they don't realize it is happening to them, or their phone usage is such that the phone is never asleep long enough for it to start happening. One way I notice it is that if I am on my computer I will get several emails on the Gmail web page I keep open in another tab and instant pop up notification on my computer. But my phone, sitting untouched for an hour or two right on my desk gets no notifications that those emails arrived. That is until I wake the phone up or some other app wakes it up. Then notifications for all the delayed emails come in at once. Usually the delay is only 15 to 30 minutes or so before some event wakes the phone up enough to allow, but I have noticed as long as a couple of hours before.

I have a friend who claims he gets his email notifications all the time, on time. But when pressed it is obvious he does not really know for sure because he has no way to tell. He just assumes that because he gets notifications when his phone is awake, and gets them instantly when he picks the phone up and unlocks the screen, that means they are arriving as they should. He does not use Gmail on the web so would not know that some of the emails he gets when his phone awakes were already available on the Gmail webpage where there is no delay.

I have had my wife come into my office and ask me and ask if I got her email. I will say no, but then unlock my phone and the notification that should have come an hour earlier will come through right then.

If Google would just fix that and make a truly unified inbox, then I would go back to using the Gmail app.

Last edited:

hand-filer

Sep 21, 2021
Elmwood
Really enjoyed Fairemail while it lasted. After using Gmail for the last few days I realized why I switched to Fairemail in the first place. It just plain sucks not having dark mode and a unified mailbox.
Currently using Samsung email again for those reasons.

dezborders

Hello!
I'm using Gmail since IOS but i don't really like (it's pretty basic).
What do you use?
Thanks
I have been using aqua mail pro (but there is a free edition which allows 1 email account) for almost 10 years.

It does everything I can imagine wanting an email client to to (,and more) and the pro license key was cheap and perpetual (one off fee not a subscription service)

Will_T

Oct 23, 2013
I've been using the pro version of Aquamail for years. I tried Fairemail for a bit, but slightly prefer Aquamail. I don't understand the comment above about popup ads from Aquamail Pro - I've literally never seen any kind of ad in the Pro version.

I don't know the answers for sure as I have not installed Aquamail. Even though it has been terminated, I plan to stick with Fairemail for as long as it still works well for me.

I have seen in other threads though that the complaints about bugs and ads are in more recent versions. Some also say Aquamail was recent sold to a new developer and that is the root of the issue and cause of many recent bad reviews in the Play Store. Also, the popup ads people complain about in the recent Pro versions are supposedly popups for the new developer's other apps. So maybe not technically ads, could be considered spam, I guess.

cpufrost

Feb 26, 2012
Big Country
Years ago, Touchdown (Nitrodesk) and Symantec bought them and ran it into the ground. Same story...
I've tried many of them mentioned here. Edison Mail was interesting too.

Now that Gmail client can do Exchange I use it for simplicity. I wish Android had a baked in client like iOS though. And native notes support for 365!!!

I don't know the answers for sure as I have not installed Aquamail. Even though it has been terminated, I plan to stick with Fairemail for as long as it still works well for me.

I have seen in other threads though that the complaints about bugs and ads are in more recent versions. Some also say Aquamail was recent sold to a new developer and that is the root of the issue and cause of many recent bad reviews in the Play Store. Also, the popup ads people complain about in the recent Pro versions are supposedly popups for the new developer's other apps. So maybe not technically ads, could be considered spam, I guess.
I think my Aquamail is fully up to date, but perhaps I should turn off auto update just in case!

Microsoft outlook. One of the main reasons I tend to stick with Samsung is the amazing synching and overall integration between my outlook contacts and calander with the Samsung native calander and its own phone/ contact list. Same for e-mail.

One thing I always wish for is S-pen integration with outlook calander. Anything I write in the Samsung calander never synchs and therefore doesn't show on outlook calandar. I'm not sure if this is something lacking from Samsung's end or microsoft's. Either way I really hope it'll be implemented soon.
I've had problems with this in the past. Outlook is installed on my phone. In settings, the sync Outlook calendar option occasionally flips back to unchecked for some reason which causes the Android Calendar to not show my Outlook items. Once set, I don't use Outlook on my phone. It's just the only way I was able to get outlook calendar items to show up in Android. I can create calendar items in Android Calendar and it is syncing with my Outlook calendar.

Reactions: dj24

thacounty

Jun 26, 2008
Bowling Green
Outlook recently stopped syncing my Yahoo account for unknown reasons. I am trying Samsung for now while I wait for Fairemail to get back on the play store. Don't want to try Aqua until the bugs from acquisition are ironed out, and Proton looked ok until I found out you have to pay with a CC and can't use Google Play Credit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I use Samsung own email. I think it's fantastic. Very fast and perfectly integrated with Samsung calendar app. Far superior to Gmail IMHO. In fact it only works on Samsung devices and is one is the key reasons I stick with Samsung devices.
    FairEmail opensource 😉
    I use Gmail since it will automatically sync with all the Google accounts I logged in, and I don't want to install another app just to read my emails :)
    Samsung email, works great!
    Gmail has a well rounded ui, comes with the phone (is not uninstallable), and just works great, with different email hosts as well, so I just use that.