• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

What is Vanilla custom roms?

Search This thread

Anish Louis

May 25, 2021
Redmi Note 10
Hi. I am new to xda and android. I just want to know what is vanilla type custom roms. i know it doesnt have gapps. right? (that we need to flash gapps separately) By why some devs make gapps separately, i mean cant they include it in their custom roms. I also know there are gpps included custom roms also. But i am curious that some people like vanilla type custom roms. Why? Is there any advantage in using vanilla custom roms than a preincluded gapps roms? Just curious to know. I googled this but didnt found any apt answer. Hope u huys understand my question ☺

But i am curious that some people like vanilla type custom roms. Why? Is there any advantage in using vanilla custom roms than a preincluded gapps roms?
I'm one of those guys. All of our devices are GApps free i.e. without any Google services or applications. I don't want Google to track me and/or my usage behaviour; simple as that. My data are my data, and I decide what happens with them.

I'm using microG instead to be able to use (for me very few) applications that require Google services. If further interested, have a look at following threads (but there're more around):