Question What is your experience with fingerprint and face unlock?

Search This thread

bat0nas

Feb 23, 2009
Vilnius
Hi,
I'm coming from Note9. Fingerprint scanner was on the back. It also had iris scanner.
So dry or wet finger, day or night - I was able to unlock my Note9 from the first try with 100% probability.

Can't say about S2 Ultra.
Faceunlock - works only in ideal conditions (face in front of the camera, well lit etc.).
Fingerprint - most of the time I unlock it from 1-3 tries. And yes.. I rescanned my fingers many times. Same result.

What is your experience?

Reactions: eyalsa
Coming from a Note 10+ the fingerprint reader works great; it is much more responsive than the Note 10+. I don't use face unlock (I haven't used it since the Galaxy Nexus), so I can't talk to that. I'm not comfortable using face unlock. It is still less secure than fingerprint or a PIN. I don't care what Apple or Samsung says.

I did like the iris scanner on my Note 8. Though, I am not sure how secure it was.

Reactions: Griffin7296

termdj

Nov 13, 2013
I have no issues with fingerprint....works mostly first time....sometimes when finger is wet I need a 2nd try....Face unlock works okay most of the time....lighting conditions do play a roll....especially bad if the room is dark and a light shine from behind....overall much better then my previous samsung phones

bat0nas

Feb 23, 2009
Vilnius
overall much better then my previous samsung phones

Good for you. What previous Samsung phone did you have?

It's really worse than Note9. But Note9 had different tech (iris scanner and not ordinary front facing camera, hardware finger print scanner and not under the screen scanner).

termdj

Nov 13, 2013
I had the s5,s6+,s9,s10 and s21 ultra...on my previous phones I made sure to scan one finger into multiple fingers, so it had 5 copies of my finger... that helped mostly with it reading my finger print the first time.. saw a video on it on YouTube. With the s22 ultra I only have one fingerprint registered and works great...i did make sure i scan it from all angles and sides... also video on YouTube...

Reactions: Griffin7296

bat0nas

Feb 23, 2009
Vilnius
I had the s5,s6+,s9,s10 and s21 ultra...on my previous phones I made sure to scan one finger into multiple fingers, so it had 5 copies of my finger... that helped mostly with it reading my finger print the first time.. saw a video on it on YouTube. With the s22 ultra I only have one fingerprint registered and works great...i did make sure i scan it from all angles and sides... also video on YouTube...

S22 Ultra lets scan only 4 fingers. So 2 times right and left thumb.

termdj

Nov 13, 2013
I suggest doing 1 finger on all 4...it worked for me on the previous phones

Virgo_Guy

Sep 11, 2012
🧐
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Google Pixel 6a
I used both thumbs for setting up one fingerprint. Did this for all four fingerprint options, so each process has both thumbs registered and it went on for four times. Did this fun and not necessarily to make sure to recognise better.

Both thumbs work as intended. Doesn't work when wet or with pruney fingers.

I don't use face recognition because of no security and "ideal condition" requirement. It's neither IRIS scanning nor super secure face id.

Rubby1025

Mar 18, 2022
Dallas/Ft Worth
Hi,
I'm coming from Note9. Fingerprint scanner was on the back. It also had iris scanner.
So dry or wet finger, day or night - I was able to unlock my Note9 from the first try with 100% probability.

Faceunlock - works only in ideal conditions (face in front of the camera, well lit etc.).
Fingerprint - most of the time I unlock it from 1-3 tries. And yes.. I rescanned my fingers many times. Same result.

What is your experience?
S22u fingerprints recognized 80% of the time. I have set up one thumb and one index finger. I wish the fingerprint reader was on the power button like the z Fold 3 which worked about 98% of the time.

I do not use face unlock.

Rubby1025

Mar 18, 2022
Dallas/Ft Worth
The FPR for me works about 99% of the time. If a finger was wet that's typically the only time it doesn't work. I use face unlock secondary. Also works great.

I came from a pixel 6 pro, where the FPR was total garbage. It's nice having a phone you can actually unlock with a fingerprint lol.
Wow, 99% success with FPR - that seems a little high. Try turning off face unlock and see what percent success you get with just FPR. Not sure if it goes immediately to face unlock on the 1st failed attempt with the FPR. If it does, face unlock is very fast and may be masking the failed FPR attempts.

Wow, 99% success with FPR - that seems a little high. Try turning off face unlock and see what percent success you get with just FPR. Not sure if it goes immediately to face unlock on the 1st failed attempt with the FPR. If it does, face unlock is very fast and may be masking the failed FPR attempts.
I'm getting about 99% with the fingerprint reader and I am not using face recognition.

Reactions: gettinwicked
I used both thumbs for setting up one fingerprint. Did this for all four fingerprint options, so each process has both thumbs registered and it went on for four times. Did this fun and not necessarily to make sure to recognise better.

Both thumbs work as intended. Doesn't work when wet or with pruney fingers.

I don't use face recognition because of no security and "ideal condition" requirement. It's neither IRIS scanning nor super secure face id.
I did both thumbs and both forefingers using one fingerprint entry. I saw it on youtube and couldn't believe it. I'm not talking about adding one fingerprint completely and then hitting add. Example, start with your thumb and just register part of it, then use a forefinger, another thumb, another forefinger, keep alternating until it hits 100%. Works perfectly.

Last edited:

Oso Polar

May 13, 2012
Fingerprint - most of the time I unlock it from 1-3 tries.
Same experience. Works very fast but probability of unlock is 90% or so. And this is supposedly a good result for the scanner which is behind the screen. My previous phone was OnePlus 3T with a fingerprint scanner inside a button - unlock speed was the same (instant) but unlock probability was something like 99.99%. This is called progress... 🤮

BandOfBrothers1

Sep 13, 2016
I use both thumbs for unlocking which works around 90% of the time.

With face unlocking I have normal and alternative appearance set so this typically works before I can even use my fingerprints.

Kurant1

Mar 18, 2012
Inconsistent at best. Still better than the fingerprint on my Pixel 6 Pro. But face recognition belongs to the iPhone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

What is your experience?
    Coming from a Note 10+ the fingerprint reader works great; it is much more responsive than the Note 10+. I don't use face unlock (I haven't used it since the Galaxy Nexus), so I can't talk to that. I'm not comfortable using face unlock. It is still less secure than fingerprint or a PIN. I don't care what Apple or Samsung says.

I did like the iris scanner on my Note 8. Though, I am not sure how secure it was.
    I'm getting about 99% with the fingerprint reader and I am not using face recognition.