**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

EmBeez

Jul 3, 2014
SG Note 2 OR Nexus 4

Hi,

I am going to purchase one of these phones.

I want my phone to be up to date with latest android so I preferred nexus 4, but I also love the S-Pen features of Note.

Really confused between these two phones.:confused:

maip

Jul 10, 2011
What about moto e.
Gorilla glass 3, okayish cam, sd support too.
Quite cheap and perfectly in your budget. Build quality is good IMO.
And since it's Moto we're talking about with latest updates on the brim, support shouldn't be a problem at all.

Also I own a moto G myself and the problem you listed is once in a blue moon.
Actually in my case, it's been quite some months that I bought the phone and till date I've only experienced it once.
So I'd say you should go for it.
Sent from my GT-I9100

I got the impression E was kinda low-level. Haven't seen it in person, but I think they may have cut too many corners. If the battery issue is very rare on G, I may reconsider it. My concern is that if it's hardware, it could get worse over time. Motorola released a software fix, but if I'm on CM, that wouldn't work apply, probably. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Good, small Androids aren't exactly common.

vj_dustin suggested the Moto E. Good choice for your requirements. CM was just ported to it, although I can't comment on how stable it is at the moment. The 4.3" screen is smallish, but to be frank, the phone isn't all that small. Its height/width aren't horrible, but it's pretty thick. And frankly, you should really hold a Moto X in hand before dismissing it because of its size on paper. For its size it has a very large screen, and even though it's .41" thick at its thickest, it's much, much narrower at the edges because of its rounded back. It handles and carries very well for packing a 4.7" screen. And to be fair to the X and the G, the issues you pointed out are rare and covered by the one-year warranty.

You could check out the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini. The 4.3" qHD AMOLED screen should be plenty for daily use, it's fairly compact, yet powerful enough for daily use. Size is smaller than the Moto G/X, and quite light and thin it's height/width. CM10.2 stable support, CM 11 nightlies, and it even has all the other crap that you don't care about like LTE support on both band 4 and 7 (the only bands Canadian providers use), microSD support, a decent camera, etc. I can't seem to find out how the heck you're supposed to buy one though. Google, Amazon, and eBay turn up diddly.

The Xperia Z1 Compact is the undisputed featherweight champ of the Android world. But yeah, it ain't cheap.

Yeah, I'm basically picking from what's available, and nothing is really small. I did hold an X in hand - it's nice. They actually sell S4 mini here, but for a price I'd just add a bit to and get Z1C. Funny thing - so I'm put off by these little things about G and X, and Z1C has one too! Apparently, there are some tiny gaps of uneven size between the cover and the rest of it, and it's driving people mad. :laugh:

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com
I got the impression E was kinda low-level. Haven't seen it in person, but I think they may have cut too many corners. If the battery issue is very rare on G, I may reconsider it. My concern is that if it's hardware, it could get worse over time. Motorola released a software fix, but if I'm on CM, that wouldn't work apply, probably. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Yeah, I'm basically picking from what's available, and nothing is really small. I did hold an X in hand - it's nice. They actually sell S4 mini here, but for a price I'd just add a bit to and get Z1C. Funny thing - so I'm put off by these little things about G and X, and Z1C has one too! Apparently, there are some tiny gaps of uneven size between the cover and the rest of it, and it's driving people mad. :laugh:

Ok, I'll give you an even better insight since I just bought my mom the Moto E yesterday.

There is one major hardware fault.
1. The power button is very very badly placed. You have to really push it in. Also I bought a silicon case and now need more push.
2. Same for volume keys.

Except that the phone is overall great. Though I'd highly recommend going for the G over E.
Because my mom has very limited usage for the phone. Calls, sms, whatsapp, calendar.
And it didn't stutter once.
But I got a feeling like the dual core might bend under pressure, I might be wrong.
I'm saying this because I was setting an image as wallpaper in quickpic. And after I set the crop, it took like 2-3 secs to comply. And the image wasn't any high res hot shot, it was just 4-500kb.

So if you use high end games and apps, and cannot stand even mere seconds delay, go for a Quad core I.e. G.
Else E has no other flaw (at least till now).
Ps: Speaker volume on the e is exceptional.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Reactions: maip

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
IYeah, I'm basically picking from what's available, and nothing is really small. I did hold an X in hand - it's nice. They actually sell S4 mini here, but for a price I'd just add a bit to and get Z1C. Funny thing - so I'm put off by these little things about G and X, and Z1C has one too! Apparently, there are some tiny gaps of uneven size between the cover and the rest of it, and it's driving people mad. :laugh:

My current phone is pretty small. It's very much a love/hate relationship. It's a Samsung Galaxy Light. Actually, I would recommend it to you, except for the complete lack of custom ROM support. It's only available through T-Mobile, but if you buy their phone's outright, you should be able to get it unlocked (especially since you're in Canada). You can get one brand-new off eBay for $110USD. The quad-core 1.4GHz with 1GB RAM does alright if you don't run your launcher too heavy, or mod it too much with Xposed modules. Stock, I was getting ~17500 with Antutu, but now I typically get ~15500-16000. It doesn't support band 7, but it does support band 4 for LTE (quad band GSM/UMTS). The screen's nothing spectacular, but it's perfectly adequate and not painful to look at.

The size is where the love/hate thing factors in the most. It's a tad thick, at .41" (10.3mm), but for a phone this cheap, I can't complain, and the battery is replaceable. Plus, at 2.48 x 4.78" (121.5 x 62.9mm), it's small in the pocket. It happens to fit perfectly within the inside coin pocket of my work slacks, so I barely feel it at work, and it's small enough that I have to continually check to make sure it's there when wearing my cargo shorts. But, ironically, its small size is also what I hate. When typing, the keyboard takes up half the screen and leaves very little left of the browser or text message window actually visible, and space in the notification tray and status bar is limited and precious, even with half the unneeded ones disabled through Xposed modules.

I plan on getting a much larger phone (or 2) in the near future - a Nexus 4 from a co-worker, and a OnePlus One, if/when I can get an invite for one. But I'll be keeping this small Galaxy Light as a back-up or for when I don't want to carry something so large. Good, small Androids are an almost completely neglected market. Most small ones are cheapos that are barely worth owning, and more frustrating than they're worth. IMO, only 3 small ones are worth owning for people that want something with higher performance: The Galaxy S4 Mini, the Droid Mini (only available through Verizon), and of course the Sony Z1 Compact. The rest of the "mini"s these days are every bit as large as the flaghships from a year ago.

Reactions: maip

Tarts5

Mar 1, 2013
Hey all,

I'm looking for a compact Android. I don't need the latest and most powerful hardware - mid-range would be fine.

Size - preferably smaller than Moto G/X - the most important thing.

Screen isn't that important, but it shouldn't scratch resistant - no protectors.

Customization support. At the very least CM (and root, obviously).

I don't care about camera quality, 4G/LTE or SD Card support.

Build quality should be good and battery life at least decent.

Price - If it's available in Canada, great, but I could probably order from the US. About $200 is preferred, $375 would be fine, and more than that is an option, but only if I really really like it. Most phones are way overpriced. Compare Moto X release and adjusted price - they still have a margin.

I'm not going to get Moto G because of this and Moto X has this. Xperia Z1 Compact is on the high end of price and I haven't checked for any issues yet. It's not that small.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hey, im looking for pretty much the same thing! Make sure you post the thing you find here too :)
The only phone matching these criterias I have found so far is the Xiaomi MI2S, but its not more than a year old so im looking to maybe find something newer.

aleluq

Jul 4, 2014
Which one?

Hi guys !
I was thinking of buying a new android phone and have limited money- 300-400 US$ And since my Galaxy Y wont get aany better i was thinking of :(dont look at the prices this is my problem :D )
Nexus 5.
Sony Xperia Z.
Sony Xperia ZR.
Samsung Galaxy SIII i9305 2GB RAM MIND YOU!
Moto x.
All are good but i have no idea which one o buy :D.

mhoss48

Jun 1, 2012
Hi guys !
I was thinking of buying a new android phone and have limited money- 300-400 US$ And since my Galaxy Y wont get aany better i was thinking of :(dont look at the prices this is my problem :D )
Nexus 5.
Sony Xperia Z.
Sony Xperia ZR.
Samsung Galaxy SIII i9305 2GB RAM MIND YOU!
Moto x.
All are good but i have no idea which one o buy :D.

Nexus 5.

Sent from my LG G2

texaslegend

Jan 25, 2013
College Station
Replacing my water logged de moto x

I took a swim with my DE Moto x last week and need a replacement that is fairly easy to root and one where I can load the xposed framework. I am almost completely dependent on the tether bypass. I like the size of the moto x and the radio quality. I thought I'd get a nexus 5 until I realized it's not available on vzn.

Should I find new, old stock or ebay another de moto x or is there another phone that's currently available that will meet the needs I have?

Thanks.

maip

Jul 10, 2011
So I remembered there's a thanks button :)

Ok, I'll give you an even better insight since I just bought my mom the Moto E yesterday.

I need to find it locally. Size is good - like S4 mini, but wider (that's fine).

My current phone is pretty small. It's very much a love/hate relationship. It's a Samsung Galaxy Light. Actually, I would recommend it to you, except for the complete lack of custom ROM support.

-snip-

Good, small Androids are an almost completely neglected market. Most small ones are cheapos that are barely worth owning, and more frustrating than they're worth.

That IS compact! I'd take it with a custom ROM. I'm hoping they'll come to their senses and start making more Z1cs, all of them.

Hey, im looking for pretty much the same thing! Make sure you post the thing you find here too :)
The only phone matching these criterias I have found so far is the Xiaomi MI2S, but its not more than a year old so im looking to maybe find something newer.

My next phone to look into is the LG G2 mini. Pretty similar to Moto G size-wise and same cpu, etc. Resolution is lower, however, and it has Corning glass 2 and not 3. May not matter.

tyteen4a03

Feb 7, 2012
Hong Kong
I'm looking at S5, M8 and Z2 right now. Which one of them will work with both North American and Eurasia LTE networks? The more it supports the merrier.

Am I missing other great choices for android phones that has global LTE coverage?

phazer11

Aug 22, 2012
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=53740559&postcount=6190
$200 (or less) on contract can buy you any of the new flagships. If you're looking for something off-contract, look at used phones here on Swappa or on eBay, or look at the Moto G LTE for $220. Or refer to my previous advice. I can't really say much other than what I've already said.

Well I'm looking for the one with the best camera and screen. I also noticed that ASUS has released a phone similar to the ASUS Transformer (which I like) anyone know if it's any good? I noticed the ROM section for it only has a handful of threads but I'm assuming that's due to it being released only recently.
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/de...0000wbu00E&wtExtndSource=0614_nmob_nat_i_asus

sam20e

Aug 2, 2007
Singapore
freelancewebdev.com
hello Friends

So now I wanted to get myself a new android device.. I have 3 device n mind but not really sure which one i should goto

1 ) Samsung Galaxy S5
2 ) LG G3
3 ) Sony Xperia Z2

I'm a sys admin and I need email sync to be done every 10-15min and drop box to be running all the time and also prefer good speed and camera quality. Which one you guys prefer?

js2892

Jul 28, 2012
Bangalore
I'm looking for a dual sim phone under Rs 14000.
Usage is not performance oriented, mainly for songs, camera,web browsing and other light apps.
Considerations are nokia xl and htc desire 516. I haven't used nokia's x series, so don't know much about it's psuedo-android OS and RAM is also 768mb.
HTC desire does not have USB-OTG and quite low internal memory(but it's not deal breaker)
Moto G is out of consideration due to some reasons.
Suggestions required.

vj_dustin

Dec 7, 2010
uktopgear.blogspot.com
hello Friends

So now I wanted to get myself a new android device.. I have 3 device n mind but not really sure which one i should goto

1 ) Samsung Galaxy S5
2 ) LG G3
3 ) Sony Xperia Z2

I'm a sys admin and I need email sync to be done every 10-15min and drop box to be running all the time and also prefer good speed and camera quality. Which one you guys prefer?

The things you want can easily be found in even a mid range device.
But if you still want to spend this much amount, go for the Xperia z2.

I'm looking for a dual sim phone under Rs 14000.
Usage is not performance oriented, mainly for songs, camera,web browsing and other light apps.
Considerations are nokia xl and htc desire 516. I haven't used nokia's x series, so don't know much about it's psuedo-android OS and RAM is also 768mb.
HTC desire does not have USB-OTG and quite low internal memory(but it's not deal breaker)
Moto G is out of consideration due to some reasons.
Suggestions required.

Definitely not those pseudo Android nokia range.
The HTC Desire 516 is a good device, but I don't know if it's available and it's price.
Meanwhile why would you put the champ of this price range of of consideration?

Sent from my GT-I9100

Reactions: js2892

sam20e

Aug 2, 2007
Singapore
freelancewebdev.com
The things you want can easily be found in even a mid range device.
But if you still want to spend this much amount, go for the Xperia z2.

Definitely not those pseudo Android nokia range.
The HTC Desire 516 is a good device, but I don't know if it's available and it's price.
Meanwhile why would you put the champ of this price range of of consideration?

Sent from my GT-I9100

I heard Z2 and G3 got heating problem, is that true?

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
I heard Z2 and G3 got heating problem, is that true?

I've read that the G3 can overheat, which causes the screen to reduce brightness from 100 to 90%, I guess that QHD screen really draws a lot of power. As for the Z2, I've only read about overheating issues when it comes to 4K video recording, but that's true with all the phones with 4K video; either it overheats and the phone stops it, or it's limited for an amount of time so the phone doesn't overheat.

mhoss48

Jun 1, 2012
I've read that the G3 can overheat, which causes the screen to reduce brightness from 100 to 90%, I guess that QHD screen really draws a lot of power. As for the Z2, I've only read about overheating issues when it comes to 4K video recording, but that's true with all the phones with 4K video; either it overheats and the phone stops it, or it's limited for an amount of time so the phone doesn't overheat.

All phones overheat
The G3 when heavy used overheat which makes the screen dim it self to cool security thing I think
The Z2 overheats large sensor and glass back , S5 when taking a lot of pictures overheat (aunt owns one and I tried)
Even the Htc Overheats cuz of the metal back

Sent from my LG G2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looking for a rather cheap phone for my wife who is a bit "tech-illiterate" and picky in terms of phone. She's currently using a Galaxy J3 that we got for free from a friend but the screen is on the verge of fully breaking (screen already has quite a big tear because she dropped the phone one too many times). I considered replacing the screen but the ones I see on aliexpress seem to all have one issue or another so I'd rather spend money on a new cheap but good enough phone:

Budget: Best around 100 Euro, 200 at max
    Screen: around 5 inch (wife likes the J3 size and would rather go smaller than bigger)

Small cheap phone that can handle a drop or two but Android shouldn't feel slow. Really only needs to run messengers, make phone calls and do the occasional web surf. Camera isn't that important but would prefer it not be complete trash.

I had a similar situation right above your post, I ended up taking a Ulefone X8 for 135 from Amazon, shipping included

check specs on this link, it compares my previous PocoF1 that broke, with 2 cheaper options, also X5 PRO (second in the comparison), is a valuable choice. In my case, I preferred the X8, there are many reviews on youtube to get different opinions

I am planning to buy mi 10T with 8+128. I think its best in its price category. I don't bother about camera or AMOLED displays. Any better suggestions?
    If u say mi 10t
    Than it's better to buy mi 10t pro same thing but better
    Is it worth it buying Oneplus Nord, having now a Pixel 3A? I feel that camera might let me down...
    for camera, I would say stick with pixel. they get the best updates in that department.
    Looking for budget 5G phone around $300-600 that will work with T-Mobile and can be easily rooted with Magisk.
    Looking to upgrade from my LG G6. Budget is $400-600 for used.

I looked quickly earlier and the LG V60 and Samsung S20 look pretty decent. Any suggestions?

Must haves:
    128gb Internal storage​
    Unlocked(able) bootloader​
    Rootable​
    Decent battery (4500mAH+)​
    Decent cameras​
    Great fingerprint reader​
    6GB RAM​
    Nice to have
    Headphone jack​
    Notification LED​
    SD slot​
    Active mod community for aftermarket ROMs​
    Flat screen (no curved edge)​
    8GB+ RAM​
    Redmi k20 pro
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone