**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

sam20e

Aug 2, 2007
Singapore
freelancewebdev.com
All phones overheat
The G3 when heavy used overheat which makes the screen dim it self to cool security thing I think
The Z2 overheats large sensor and glass back , S5 when taking a lot of pictures overheat (aunt owns one and I tried)
Even the Htc Overheats cuz of the metal back

Sent from my LG G2

I always use samsung so my 1st pref is samsung s5.. you said you tried that before. hows overall performance?

js2892

Jul 28, 2012
Bangalore
Definitely not those pseudo Android nokia range.
The HTC Desire 516 is a good device, but I don't know if it's available and it's price.
Meanwhile why would you put the champ of this price range of of consideration?

Sent from my GT-I9100

The phone is for a relative and where they live there is no motorola service center within the city. As phone is intended for long use, this is why Moto G is out of consideration. Meanwhile HTC desire 516 is available for 13999 on ebay,amazon and snapdeal. The phone seems to decent but there are no reviews online(because it was released just a week ago). Looks like I'll have to check the phone myself at a HTC showroom.

mhoss48

Jun 1, 2012
I always use samsung so my 1st pref is samsung s5.. you said you tried that before. hows overall performance?

Pretty smooth rlly, a bit of stutter but better than before (stock)
But as I said overheats quickly when using the camera for more than 5mins
I say go for it

Sent from my LG G2

Ahmed Xperia p

Nov 25, 2012
Islamabad
I've read that the G3 can overheat, which causes the screen to reduce brightness from 100 to 90%, I guess that QHD screen really draws a lot of power.

You got it wrong somehow. Actually overheat doesn't cause the lower brightness in fact limiters come in to play and limit the screen brightness in order to prevent device from overheating. All LG high end devices are designed like this.

Sent from my LG-E975 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

boomerbsg

Jan 15, 2011
houston
normally don't ask this.
I'm going to Verizon tomorrow to change my contract, and I'm gonna get on their edge program, trade in my note 2 for either a note 3, or a S5..

just want to hear if anyone's done this, or which would you get? the S5's attractive to me for its 16meg camera, but i'm sure the 13 on the note 3 is sufficient..Also partial to custom roms, but they both look about even in that department, safestrap etc..

thanks

*update* went with the S5.. but i have 2 weeks to pay $35 restock fee and fetch me that note 3 if i'm so inclined.. so far, i'm good with it, the lesser size is very noticeable in my hand, but so far so good.. now to read up on roms :)

Last edited:

GaspRulez

Apr 17, 2014
Rome
I have a Nexus 4, but i hate the Nexus stock experience (google experience?) so, enne i bought it i rooted the device, and some days later i flashed a custom rom. Now i don't know why, but i Wanda change my phone, what could i buy? Ano the Nexus? I just want to flash a custom rom, nothing more.. But i don't wanna lose the warranty.... I think i have to wait the Nexus 6 :/

S

simple_fear85

normally don't ask this.
I'm going to Verizon tomorrow to change my contract, and I'm gonna get on their edge program, trade in my note 2 for either a note 3, or a S5..

just want to hear if anyone's done this, or which would you get? the S5's attractive to me for its 16meg camera, but i'm sure the 13 on the note 3 is sufficient..Also partial to custom roms, but they both look about even in that department, safestrap etc..

thanks

Note three looks like a nice phone. i think I will be holding off till the note 4 comes out.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

I have a Nexus 4, but i hate the Nexus stock experience (google experience?) so, enne i bought it i rooted the device, and some days later i flashed a custom rom. Now i don't know why, but i Wanda change my phone, what could i buy? Ano the Nexus? I just want to flash a custom rom, nothing more.. But i don't wanna lose the warranty.... I think i have to wait the Nexus 6 :/

If you want the flashing experience and romming go for the lg g2 or wait till the g3 comes out. those are phones to have

GaspRulez

Apr 17, 2014
Rome
Note three looks like a nice phone. i think I will be holding off till the note 4 comes out.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

If you want the flashing experience and romming go for the lg g2 or wait till the g3 comes out. those are phones to have

For the warranty? Have those phones the same of the lg nexus phones?

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
I'm looking at the HTC m8 and Sony z2 but I'm not sure which one to buy.
The z2 has better camera and also it has the unlock button on the side like I like and I'm used to, and a dedicated camera button which is nice. But I do like the m8 design better.

Which one do you guys advice? Also, what about development? The m8 seems like a more popular phone, so maybe it will have more mods to it and even roms

nifty_mats

Feb 27, 2014
Guwahati
I'm looking at the HTC m8 and Sony z2 but I'm not sure which one to buy.
The z2 has better camera and also it has the unlock button on the side like I like and I'm used to, and a dedicated camera button which is nice. But I do like the m8 design better.

Which one do you guys advice? Also, what about development? The m8 seems like a more popular phone, so maybe it will have more mods to it and even roms
Both are winners IMO. But, if u ask me Z2 is better. I've used both fones side-by-side & I found Z2's performance to be better! One m8 lags just a lil bit while Z2 is buttery smooth.

Sent from my Sony Z1 using Tapatalk

JackDCalloway

Jun 19, 2012
W'loh
Hey guys, looking for a table but don't know what to buy. Doesn't have to be a high end flagship device, should have solid specs and custom roms ergo xda supported

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

hjli

Jul 9, 2014
Device 101

Bigest screen: Samsung note 3 or mega
Easy to use: Android advance user, IOS average user.
Best bang for the buck: Nexus 7
Best bang for the buck wold wide: XiaoMi

Reactions: JackDCalloway

aakash1996

Mar 16, 2013
Delhi
Hi! I am looking for a phone with good developer support and great performance. Price no bar. Personally I was considering Xperia z2 or z1. But if any other phone is better please advice me.

griffin_1

Feb 6, 2011
Both are winners IMO. But, if u ask me Z2 is better. I've used both fones side-by-side & I found Z2's performance to be better! One m8 lags just a lil bit while Z2 is buttery smooth.

Sent from my Sony Z1 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your help!
I can find "problems" in both of them and advantages in both of them. The z2 does seem to have better specs in terms of camera(20mp, great photos, video and 4k) and ram, but its a bit bigger(but that can be good for a bigger screen) and im guessing its kind of a fingerprint magnet on the back for the black version.
I do like the htc m8 design, except for the 2nd camera that doesnt look good there and the power/unlock button on the top. Then there is also the camera that is just 4MP, even though its a different kind of 4MP sensor, its still 4MP and some detail is lost when zooming,etc. However, is less fringerprint prone and from the reviews people say is more comfortable to hold.

So, i can find both good and bad on the devices lol And they are priced the same in my carrier, so i can't even use price as a fact. Decisions, decisions...

xXsquirr3lsXx

Mar 23, 2014
Hey guys! Looking to buy myself an Android Tablet soon! Im looking for a tablet that has an unlockable bootloader (Custom ROMs, Recoveries, ETC.) Good performance, max price $400.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

teddyd3vil

Jul 10, 2014
Small

Looking for android phone with 3.5 inch screen but
4.4 KitKat or above
supports LTE
300 ppi or HD 720p
5 megapixel rear camera, existing front camera
at least 8gb internal storage and supports external sd cards OR 16gb internal storage
does not lag --> not sure what i need to ensure it doesn't lag, but happy with current phone with 1GB ram, 1.2 GHz CPU, and Snapdragon Qualcomm 400 processor

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looking for a rather cheap phone for my wife who is a bit "tech-illiterate" and picky in terms of phone. She's currently using a Galaxy J3 that we got for free from a friend but the screen is on the verge of fully breaking (screen already has quite a big tear because she dropped the phone one too many times). I considered replacing the screen but the ones I see on aliexpress seem to all have one issue or another so I'd rather spend money on a new cheap but good enough phone:

Budget: Best around 100 Euro, 200 at max
    Screen: around 5 inch (wife likes the J3 size and would rather go smaller than bigger)

Small cheap phone that can handle a drop or two but Android shouldn't feel slow. Really only needs to run messengers, make phone calls and do the occasional web surf. Camera isn't that important but would prefer it not be complete trash.

I had a similar situation right above your post, I ended up taking a Ulefone X8 for 135 from Amazon, shipping included

check specs on this link, it compares my previous PocoF1 that broke, with 2 cheaper options, also X5 PRO (second in the comparison), is a valuable choice. In my case, I preferred the X8, there are many reviews on youtube to get different opinions

I am planning to buy mi 10T with 8+128. I think its best in its price category. I don't bother about camera or AMOLED displays. Any better suggestions?
    If u say mi 10t
    Than it's better to buy mi 10t pro same thing but better
    Is it worth it buying Oneplus Nord, having now a Pixel 3A? I feel that camera might let me down...
    for camera, I would say stick with pixel. they get the best updates in that department.
    Looking for budget 5G phone around $300-600 that will work with T-Mobile and can be easily rooted with Magisk.
    Looking to upgrade from my LG G6. Budget is $400-600 for used.

I looked quickly earlier and the LG V60 and Samsung S20 look pretty decent. Any suggestions?

Must haves:
    128gb Internal storage​
    Unlocked(able) bootloader​
    Rootable​
    Decent battery (4500mAH+)​
    Decent cameras​
    Great fingerprint reader​
    6GB RAM​
    Nice to have
    Headphone jack​
    Notification LED​
    SD slot​
    Active mod community for aftermarket ROMs​
    Flat screen (no curved edge)​
    8GB+ RAM​
    Redmi k20 pro
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone