• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

RimBlock

May 4, 2010
Portable WiFi bridge with VPN ?.

Hi,

I run an OpenVPN setup at home on my router (PFSense). When travelling alone I use my phone / laptop to create the VPN network after connecting to public WiFi and that is fine for just me.

What I am looking for is a device that I can use as a portable Wifi hub that will connect to a public WiFi network, create the OpenVPN tunnel between itself and my home server and then provide its own ssid for any laptop / phone etc to connect to (obviously password encrypted).

The idea is that the portable hub will take care of the VPN duties rather than having to install on all the devices myself, my wife and our kids use when on holiday.

I have recently got the RavPower 3-in-1 hub which is great and does all but the VPN side.

Does anyone know any other device that would meet the above requirements either out of the box or with some tweaking ?.

Thanks

edbr

Aug 10, 2016
Huawei Mate 20 lite vs Nokia 7.1
Tbh, I don't really care about the camera. I'm more concerned about the performance and build quality. Nokia has the weaker CPU, but it comes with android one. So I'm not really sure which one to pick. Any help would be appreciated.

Sptz

Jun 25, 2012
I'm looking for a phone for my girlfriend, she's on a really old and dying iPhone.

I'm looking for something that could correspond as much as possible to:

- Better than average camera
- Either Android Stock/One or at least bootloader unlockable with good XDA development (to flash something like Lineage or Omni or Stock experience)
- Can be Chinese, absolutely!
- NFC would be cool but not absolutely necessary
- Good battery life, but can sacrifice a bit for average/above average but definitely not "afternoon charging needed"
- Quick Charging
- Price would be on the budget side ~£250 max

I already shortlisted a couple and would like suggestions for more that I'm unaware of and/or of these ones also.

- Xiaomi Mi A2 - Con: No NFC. No Jack (remedied by adapter so no biggie)
- LeEco Le Pro3 (x720/727) - Con: No NFC (right?) or am I wrong? OS: But since there's Lineage and Omni then all good!

OR

I'll give her my OP3T and get a flagship for myself :p

CamoGeko

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking for a phone for my girlfriend, she's on a really old and dying iPhone.

I'm looking for something that could correspond as much as possible to:

- Better than average camera
- Either Android Stock/One or at least bootloader unlockable with good XDA development (to flash something like Lineage or Omni or Stock experience)
- Can be Chinese, absolutely!
- NFC would be cool but not absolutely necessary
- Good battery life, but can sacrifice a bit for average/above average but definitely not "afternoon charging needed"
- Quick Charging
- Price would be on the budget side ~£250 max

I already shortlisted a couple and would like suggestions for more that I'm unaware of and/or of these ones also.

- Xiaomi Mi A2 - Con: No NFC. No Jack (remedied by adapter so no biggie)
- LeEco Le Pro3 (x720/727) - Con: No NFC (right?) or am I wrong? OS: But since there's Lineage and Omni then all good!

OR

I'll give her my OP3T and get a flagship for myself :p

It's possible you could even get a Pocophone F1 for that price, either if you don't mind waiting a bit for the prices to go down or a sale perhaps.

Or you could try and get one second hand.

Hai96

Mar 16, 2013
OnePlus 6
Which device you would choose, HTC U12+ or Oneplus 6 (8/128 Version)? I've got both for nearly the same price (The OP6 was 40€ cheaper) and can't decide which one to choose.
I really like the OP Display, it's so bright and the colors are so intensive. But the Speaker is crap...
The HTC has a very good camera, nice speakers but I don't really like the display. Don't blame me for this statement, but the Display from my current phone (HTC M8) doesn't really look different from the one in the U12+ [emoji849]
I am using my phone 4+ years and I think Oneplus offers the better software support. But beside of that, what do you think: Which phone has the bigger community here on Xda and is likely to have the longer custom rom support?

Gesendet von meinem m8 mit Tapatalk

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
OnePlus 6! I have a OnePlus 5 I got 16 months ago. My next phone will be a used OnePlus 6 and then wait for them to bring the headphone jack back before I buy a new phone!

CamoGeko

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Which device you would choose, HTC U12+ or Oneplus 6 (8/128 Version)? I've got both for nearly the same price (The OP6 was 40€ cheaper) and can't decide which one to choose.
I really like the OP Display, it's so bright and the colors are so intensive. But the Speaker is crap...
The HTC has a very good camera, nice speakers but I don't really like the display. Don't blame me for this statement, but the Display from my current phone (HTC M8) doesn't really look different from the one in the U12+ [emoji849]
I am using my phone 4+ years and I think Oneplus offers the better software support. But beside of that, what do you think: Which phone has the bigger community here on Xda and is likely to have the longer custom rom support?

Gesendet von meinem m8 mit Tapatalk

I'd go for the OP6 on your place mate.

HTC is stuck in limbo atm, and the updates are being delivered slower than a snail pace. If at all. OnePlus community is much stronger as well.

Sent from my Essential Products PH-1 using XDA Labs

SKAm69

Oct 2, 2009
Verizon Wear24 other ZTE Quartz?

I'm looking for a cheap but as good as possible for such price introduction to the Wear OS/Android Wear. I'm not considering flaws that both of them have such as lack of NFC payments, etc.

Wear24
Pros: better look and smaller size,
Supposedly longer battery life despite having less charge,
Wireless charger
Cons: root requires physical disassembly,
no microphone in calls (weird)

Which of the two would you suggest? Unless something else for such price.
Thanks

gdourado

Jan 4, 2012
Hello,
I am wanting to buy a new phone.
Currently I am between the Nokia 7 plus or the Pocophone f1.

They both cost the same here.
The Nokia is Android one which I prefer as I hear the miui rom is quite bad in the poco.
But the poco has much better hardware and I was thinking I could flash LineageOS to it.

What do you think?

Thank you

Sent from my Le X821 using Tapatalk

SunilSuni

Jul 5, 2017
Bengaluru
Hello,
I am wanting to buy a new phone.
Currently I am between the Nokia 7 plus or the Pocophone f1.

They both cost the same here.
The Nokia is Android one which I prefer as I hear the miui rom is quite bad in the poco.
But the poco has much better hardware and I was thinking I could flash LineageOS to it.

What do you think?

Thank you

Sent from my Le X821 using Tapatalk
Go for POCO F1

You can upgrade or tweak software as you want but you cannot update hardware things so Poco F1 is best

Reactions: tsongming

Valof

Dec 9, 2018
Hallo, between Samsung s9(exynos) and oneplus 6t, what should I get? I only use phone for web browsing, YouTube, whatsapp, messenger, emails...etc not a heavy user by any means.

I can get S9 with Sennheiser 4.5HD and SanDisk ultra 200gb for 20 euros a month on a 2 years plan. While I need to pay 550 for oneplus 6t in cash!

I care about gorgeous display and great battery life. I need a phone which can live for the next 4 years just as my current HTC m8 is doing. You may suggest any other model with that price range excluding S9+ and phones with big notch.

BTW I live in Germany if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Last edited:

Skull97

Jan 31, 2016
Hallo, between Samsung s9(exynos) and oneplus 6t, what should I get? I only use phone for web browsing, YouTube, whatsapp, messenger, emails...etc not a heavy user by any means.

I can get S9 with Sennheiser 4.5HD and SanDisk ultra 200gb for 20 euros a month on a 2 years plan. While I need to pay 550 for oneplus 6t in cash!

I care about gorgeous display and great battery life. I need a phone which can live for the next 4 years just as my current HTC m8 is doing. You may suggest any other model with that price range excluding S9+ and phones with big notch.

BTW I live in Germany if it makes any difference.

Thanks
Well, with project treble, every phone *should* live for 4 years with 3 years of Android update and 1 additional year of security update, but only if the OEM decide to do so.
Anyway, there is no doubt that s9 will win in display, but onplus 6t should win in battery life and will definitely live longer thanks to its stronger community.
Since you aren't a heavy user, I guess s9 is your best bet. Honestly though, buying a phone at this time of the year is not a very good idea since 2019 phones are going to come out soon, and 2019 seems to be a very interesting year to me.

Tobiaho1988

Dec 9, 2018
Hello Community,

I currently have the Mi A2 Lite defined as best Phone to buy.
Due to Android Auto on Oreo and bugs in Android Pie i am thinking about changing it
But which Phone is comparable?

Requirements:
*Real Dual Sim / No Hybrid preferred (maybe if internal storage is 128gb?)
*Internal storage at least 64gb and also SD Card Slot

(Due to a Lot of Business Trips i use always local Sim Cards)

* Max. 5.9" Display
* Camera should be acceptable
*Price max. 300€

*Most used Apps: WhatsApp, Messenger, Maps, Spotify, Android Auto, Banking.

Of course high end phones fulfil my requirements but i also have a talent of destroying the displays of each Smartphone i have :) That's why it should be a not too expensive.
I did already a Lot of Research and Xiaomi Mi a2 Lite was the best choice. But i also use Android Auto a Lot of times so this should also work.

I am excited to hear your suggestions!

Regards
Tobi

Gesendet von meinem Mi A2 Lite mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

russy23

hi guys,

so i cracked the screen on my lg g5, i can buy the replacement front assembly for £20, but really will it be as good and how long will it last..

so budget phone hunting time, i dont need a high end fantastic joby, it doesnt need to play high end games, tbh i dont game at all, and selfie cams arent really important to me..

so far Ive got: -

Honor 9 Lite
Huawei P smart

Both are these are pretty much the same anyway, im not sure about the huawei software on phones, i tried my uncles once, seems very slow, cant remember which one it was though..

i would like to buy from the UK, argos would be handy haha, any other suggestions, thanks, i guess £120 ish is where id like to be money wise

Amirk365

Jul 20, 2016
Fort Wellington
hi guys,

so i cracked the screen on my lg g5, i can buy the replacement front assembly for £20, but really will it be as good and how long will it last..

so budget phone hunting time, i dont need a high end fantastic joby, it doesnt need to play high end games, tbh i dont game at all, and selfie cams arent really important to me..

so far Ive got: -

Honor 9 Lite
Huawei P smart

Both are these are pretty much the same anyway, im not sure about the huawei software on phones, i tried my uncles once, seems very slow, cant remember which one it was though..

i would like to buy from the UK, argos would be handy haha, any other suggestions, thanks, i guess £120 ish is where id like to be money wise
You'll get a cracked screen with either in no time as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think the battery on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro is going the way of the Dodo but I'm yet not decided on buying a new phone.

If I'm to upgrade my phone, my two main things are camera and battery life. Regrading cameras, what would be the best phone right now? And I mean picture magic with all the stuff the Mate 20 Pro did to a point a shoot picture and it's AI.

From googling this I come up with plenty of candidates but they are usually ranked by "best natural pictures" and that's not really what I think I'm after.

Oppo x3 Pro and Xiaomi 11 Ultra sound like good candidates, I'm not sure about the "magic" on the Galaxy s21 Ultra or Iphone 12/13, these last seem to go for realistic pictures.
    you could also look for gcam. some gcam ports have more contrast and saturation than others. if gcam will fit the bill, then any phone is OK. battery isn't that important nowadays, 4500 is enough.
    Hi, everyone!

My phone of 3 years (Samsung Galaxy J4+) recently bricked after I accidentally dropped it into a pool, and now I have to look for a replacement.

I'm not that well informed about the smartphone tech, and I don't follow any news regarding the advancements in this industry so I would appreciate it if somebody would be willing to give me some suggestions on my next purchase. Here are my requirements:

BUDGET: €300 (I'm willing to increase this by around €50 as long as the improvements are worth it)

Things that I'm looking for in a new phone are:
    • Battery capacity
    • Durability (that is, able to last as long as possible without needing to be replaced like in 1 or 2 years)
    • Storage space (32GB or higher)
    • Resolution (720p or higher)
    • Size (less than 7")
    RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. is not so much important to me as long as the phone has a decent chip and is not slow, so anything along the J4+ specs or better would be good enough for me.

Things that I don't care much about are:
    • Camera quality - Not a big camera user, and on the rare occasion where I do take a picture or record a video, I would just like that the picture/video quality does not look like garbage, otherwise I don't mind making sacrifices here
    • Fingerprint sensors
    • NFC, Infrared, Radio, etc.
    • Waterproofing, Dustproofing, etc. - While nice to have, it's not really something that I would be willing to pay a premium for
    • 5G - There's no infrastructure for it in my country right now (Serbia), and besides, I don't care about that sort of thing. The only use that I need from it is when I need to enable data for the internet because I cannot find a Wi-Fi to connect to, which I believe 4G is good enough for this

My usage on the phone is pretty casual. Aside from the couple of calls I make and the texts I send, I mostly spend my time web browsing or watching YouTube videos. I don't play video games, aside from something small like Minesweeper to pass the time while I'm in a waiting room. I don't listen to music frequently, and when I do, it's mostly via speakers, so a headphone jack is optional.

Searching the net, these are the phones that I found:
    • Poco F3 - €305
    • Poco X3 Pro - €185
    • Samsung Galaxy A51 - €193
    • Samsung Galaxy A52 - €340
    • Samsung Galaxy A72 - €331
    • OnePlus Nord - €193
    • Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G - €222
    • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro - €176
    • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G - €125
    • Xiaomi Mi 9T - €83
    • Huawei P40 Lite - €115

Out of all of these, which one do you think is best? I feel like all these phones on the list fit the criteria of what I'm looking for, so I don't know if I should just go with the one that's cheapest and save money since my use case is so minimal, or go with the more expensive variants to ensure that the hardware improvement will mean better futureproofing?

Nonetheless, if you have a better suggestion from what I've found, please feel free to share it.

Thanks in forward!
    Poco X3 Pro is what attracts me. Personally, I would have gone for OnePlus Nord but I hear it has no custom roms. Samsung is again another problematic and over-expensive vendor so a no-no for me. Huawei is winding down in support due to restrictions from USA. That leaves Poco, Redmi and Mi.

So now, I need a 3.5 jack and a good battery. I fscking hate its look, but I would anyway put a cover on it so...

EDIT: Nord actually has a lot of custom from support. But Nord 2 doesn't.
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)