• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

gdourado

Jan 4, 2012
Hello, how are you?

I am looking to get a new phone before Christmas.

I am hearing a lot of buzz about the Pocophone f1.
I can get the 64gb version for 265 euros here.
I really like stock android so if I get the poco I would flash LineageOS to it.

On the other hand, I can also get a pixel 2 xl for 420.

It is a difference in price, so I am wondering what is the best option.

From what I can tell, the pixel has the better camera and is the official Google phone, so it has perfectly integrated stock Android.*
But it also has issues and reading about it online is scary as there seems to*be multiple issues with the display, with the speakers and with the phone loosing performance after a while.

The poco has a better*and faster soc, more ram and a bigger battery.
But I would have to flash lineage os, then the bsg pixel camera port and the gapps from open gapps to have it perform like stock android and that could go wrong in many ways.*

So, based on this, what do you consider the better option and why?

Thank you.*

Sent from my Le X821 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

theandroidguy

Aug 20, 2016
Kolkata
HTC Desire 816
Nokia X
Hello,
I am wanting to buy a new phone.
Currently I am between the Nokia 7 plus or the Pocophone f1.

They both cost the same here.
The Nokia is Android one which I prefer as I hear the miui rom is quite bad in the poco.
But the poco has much better hardware and I was thinking I could flash LineageOS to it.

What do you think?

Thank you
Obviously the Poco F1 is the better choice.
1. Better hardware
2. Unlockable bootloader
3. Availability of lots of custom rom and custon kernels
4. Better camera
5. Better battery

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

I'm confused between Poco F1(6+128) and Realme 2 Pro(8+128). In the long run which is going to be beneficial, the 8GB ram instead of 6GB or the SD845 instead of the SD660??? My only priority is a performance beast.

JGerard15

Dec 13, 2018
ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M2 or Huawei Nova 3i

Hello, I am about to buy a new phone next week.
I am deciding on which one to get, either the new ASUS Zenfone Max Pro M2 or Huawei Nova 3i?

Things that attracts me to the Zenfone
- Stock Android
- 6 GB RAM

Things that attracts me to Nova 3i
- 128 GB Storage
- Probably better display and gaming experience (i think)
- Better build quality

I mostly watch videos and play games. I am not really into cameras.

ninalzc

Apr 19, 2018
Hello everyone

I'm new here and looking for some help in selecting phones.

I‘m looking for a new phone for my new year. I'm considering oneplus 6T and pixel 3. It seems their news is everywhere so maybe they are good?
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with phones so I come here to ask someone professional for help.:)
I prefer phones with a good quality camera. If you have other suggestions, please tell me!
By the way, how about Honor 8X? I found they have a buy 1 get 1 giveaway in their forum and that seems very attractive.

starflux

Dec 16, 2018
rugged phone?

hi
i'm looking. for a big battery rugged smartphone for under 300$.
i've done a lot of searching and watched many reviews but i don't. what to believe.
i'm confused
i found these rugged smartphones:
- ulefone armor 3
ulefone armor x , armor 5 , armor 2
blackview bv9500, bv7000
dogee s60
elephone soldier
i drop my smartphone a lot and i need a really tough one especially. the screen.

can you please recommend. any of those.
i wanted to buy ulefone armor 3 but i don't know if it is really rugged.

jaibubwan

Jan 31, 2017
Hey guys, please recommend any good tablet that meets these conditions:
- Normal Android OS, that's compatible with Play Store (no weird MIUI type stuff)
- OTG compatible (so I can connect my peripherals like memory sticks etc.)
- Biggest screen possible - with best picture quality (will be used for reading comics, youtube, netflix, & movie 1080p MKV playback)

pierceheart

Sep 16, 2007
Boston
Should I switch from HTC?

I'm on AT&T, and I'm not leaving that carrier.

My HTC 10 is finally dead after just over two years. Battery performance in the tank over the last two months - 100%, remove charger, use phone for a minute or two, 99, 98, dead. Plug it in, while off, it shows 1%. Unplug it, plug it back in, 90%.

I was highly considering the HTC u12+, but SO MANY reviews complain about the non buttons, the lack of headphone jack, etc.

What I'm looking for - rootable phone - don't want to lose tethering OR pay extra for it on my line.
VoLTE capable on AT&T. VoWiFi on AT&T would be nice, but not a dealbreaker, as I'm not using it as it is (Oreo on the HTC10 didn't have it)

Things I've liked, rom wise in the last few years, so, something that's got similar roms built already:
Android Revolution HD (M7)
Viper10 Nougat
Leedroid Oreo (couldn't get the oreo version of Viper to work on my HTC 10)

Well, looking at my grandfathered unlimited data plan with Nation 450 voice, I decided on the Google Pixel 3, especially because of the support for that on AT&T (VoLTE, VoWiFi), but I was concerned about tethering. Comparing my current plan with Fo, I decided to jump ship. I bought a Pixel 3 XL and signed up with Fi. My precious new phone arrived today, and I'm waiting for it to charge up, so I can boot it and get any updates.

Last edited:

DexterRufer

Dec 20, 2018
Hello. I'm searching a smartphone with good sound (through jack, i don't care at all about thespeakers sound, if doesn't have speaker, wouldn't bother me haha). I don't care about the other specifications of the phone (maybe the rear camera a little bit but meh.. it isn't significant).
I saw this models, what do you think?:
HTC 10 (What about the EVO 10? Sounds good?)
LG V10 (Maybe the V20 if i save a little more money but... :/ )
ZTE Axon 7 Mini (Have the same sound of his older brother?)
I am a little inclined by the HTC but i don't know.
That's all, i don't think paying to much more than that (i will buy it used so... draw your conclusions about how poor i am hahaha)

I hope you can help me and sorry for my english, thanks :)

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I think a while back I read that the sound wasn't exactly the same on the axon mini, but you can double check at headfi.com.

Being older phones it's possible that the battery will end up needing replacement and the v10 can be swapped quickly because it's a removable back. The camera is also probably best on that one. However they had motherboard failures like the G4 and many other lg phones did. I've had a lot better luck with HTC phones in the past than LG and the build on the HTC 10 is pretty awesome. I still have an HTC M8 for a remote and car speedometer and occasionally music listening. The battery shows 98% health. (maybe it was replaced by the previous owner). The phone is really best up looking and has a single crack across the screen but still works perfectly.

Either way, those are probably 2 of the best sounding phones of that age if you're looking mainly for sound quality.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Mad Medik

Jan 28, 2006
The Hammer!
Hi folks,

Anyone on Freedom Mobile in Canada? I'm considering my next device and wanting know if a European (Exynos) Galaxy S9 can be rooted, flashed to an appropriate ROM and access VoLTE and VoWIFI on this network.

Otherwise I think I'm looking at the Pixel but it's $$$, and gives up the headphone jack and SD card... Open to other suggestions if I've missed something...

Thanks

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I'm on freedom mobile but I'm using a OnePlus 5. I had the s8 (Qualcomm version) through freedom when I first signed up. I sold it to buy the OnePlus 5 for dual sims when I found out I couldn't port my Koodo number to freedom. No idea about the s9 and volte though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mad Medik

frantek

Feb 7, 2013
Hi,

I want to start my next try to buy a smart watch. Here is what I want:

- snappy UI
- snappy UI
- snappy UI :)
- NFC / Google Pay
- latest Ware OS
- Heart rate sesnsor
- decent battery life
- AMOLED display

Any suggestions ?

Nico2416

Sep 9, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm here because I want to buy a new phone (obviously, lol). My budget is around 300€.

I've watched lots of reviews about phones in my budget-range (so mid-range smartphones), but a question came to my mind: wouldn't be better buying a 2017 top smartphone instead of a decleared mid-range? I was thinking in particular to Sony Xperia XZ Premium (SD 835, 4K Display, Android Pie etc) at 279€ on Amazon.

Is it a good choice or should I buy something newer but on a "lower" level in terms of hardware?

Hope someone will ask. Thanks in advance to everyone

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
Hi guys,

I'm here because I want to buy a new phone (obviously, lol). My budget is around 300€.

I've watched lots of reviews about phones in my budget-range (so mid-range smartphones), but a question came to my mind: wouldn't be better buying a 2017 top smartphone instead of a decleared mid-range? I was thinking in particular to Sony Xperia XZ Premium (SD 835, 4K Display, Android Pie etc) at 279€ on Amazon.

Is it a good choice or should I buy something newer but on a "lower" level in terms of hardware?

Hope someone will ask. Thanks in advance to everyone
I would. Why by a midrange when you can probably get a flagship cheaper.

Reactions: Nico2416

Jim Ford

Aug 24, 2018
What's the 'best bang for the buck' phone for flashing alternative ROMs?

I've got a Moto G (2013 - Falcon) flashed with AOSPExtended 9 (Pie). It works OK, but is a bit slow, is only 3G and doesn't have a GPS chip. I'm looking to upgrade another outdated phone that's well supported with alternative ROMs, has good battery life, 4G and a GPS chip.

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 looks promising and can be had on Ebay for around £115 new.

Any suggestions please?

Jim

Last edited:

CamoGeko

Forum Moderator
Staff member
What's the 'best bang for the buck' phone for flashing alternative ROMs?

I've got a Moto G (2013 - Falcon) flashed with AOSPExtended 9 (Pie). It works OK, but is a bit slow, is only 3G and doesn't have a GPS chip. I'm looking to upgrade another outdated phone that's well supported with alternative ROMs, has good battery life, 4G and a GPS chip.

The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 looks promising and can be had on Ebay for around £115 new.

Any suggestions please?

Jim

Depends what your actual budget is.

You can get a OnePlus 5 pretty cheap nowadays, even a second hand Pocophone F1 or the Essential Phone.

All decent and have a thriving Dev communities.

Sent from my Essential Products PH-1 using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a recommendation for an Android tablet. I don't have a strict budget; $3-400 would be fine, I could probably swing $5-600 if there was a good argument for it.

Things I *really* want include
    * easy to root
    * at least one "big" core (e.g. a Cortex A72, *not* something with only cortex A53's or A55's)
    * at least 4GB ram, preferably more
    * microSD slot

Nice to have's:
    * fully unlock-able bootloader
    * video out over USB-C
    * decent gaming and emulation performance

I don't really care that much about the screen size, 8-10" would be great, bigger would probably be fine too.
    Well, tablets with Android aren't that good compared to smartphones. usually tablets do come with weaker specs because buyers aren't that interested in. I would suggest the xiaomi mi pad 5, launches at the end of July. most likely will be over 600, but xiaomi does deliver and the tablet most likely would be compared to the iPad in terms of performance.
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)