• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I got the Android pie OTA update this morning for boxing day. My phone is stock and never rooted so far. The update to oos makes it look much more like a pixel. I actually really like it. The old oos was looking a bit dated compared to the pixel and now this looks nearly the same but IMO better. The galaxy s8 I had for a few weeks before I got the OnePlus 5 16 months ago will be waiting until March apparently for the update. I am still liking OnePlus software updates. I'm on the December 2018 security patch now. There are things I like better about the Samsungs (mostly just appearance) but I can't see any reason I'd want to switch to anything else besides just wanting to try something different.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
A couple pics of the new ui in dark mode with red accents. Screenshot_20181226-194354.jpegScreenshot_20181226-194315.jpegScreenshot_20181226-194331.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nico2416

Nico2416

Sep 9, 2018
I got the Android pie OTA update this morning for boxing day. My phone is stock and never rooted so far. The update to oos makes it look much more like a pixel. I actually really like it. The old oos was looking a bit dated compared to the pixel and now this looks nearly the same but IMO better. The galaxy s8 I had for a few weeks before I got the OnePlus 5 16 months ago will be waiting until March apparently for the update. I am still liking OnePlus software updates. I'm on the December 2018 security patch now. There are things I like better about the Samsungs (mostly just appearance) but I can't see any reason I'd want to switch to anything else besides just wanting to try something different.
I'd buy the OnePlus 5 (or 5T) if I could find them for less than 300€. Always loved OnePlus philosophy and I'd really like try one out

VaktBleppe

Jun 1, 2010
I'm running a Nexus 5X 16gb right now and i'm in the market for a new phone that have better camera, faster cpu/gpu, more ram, but it may not cost more than 440USD/390EUR/4000SEK. And LG is something i don't want again, because of all hardware problems i have been having with 3 LG's

I want the phone the be about 6". If there is no notch it is a big plus. Have at least 64gb storage. Really durable as i have 3 kids that time to time takes it and drops it, and i'm a industrial worker and i don't want the screen to break easily, and the repair here cost almost as much as a new phone. And regularly updates or good and stable custom roms.

Phones i have been looking at but please come with suggestions.:
Redmi Note 5 Pro 4/64gb
Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64gb
Pocophone F1 6/64gb
Xiaomi Mi A2 4/64gb
Asus Zenfone 5z 6/64gb
Asus Zenfone Max Pro 4/64gb

Last edited:

Eimafn

Dec 3, 2018
Hey folks -

I'm also looking for a new phone. I have an Nexus 5 now and have used almost the entire Nexus line in the past (I was very sad when they were discontinued :crying: ). Recently I got a Huawei Honor View 10 from a black friday sale and was quite disappointed by their anti-consumer practice of not unlocking bootloaders and also by the lack of developer support that naturally follows such a policy. In short, I would like recommendations on phones which are similar to the View 10 (hardware-wise I liked it) but are easily mod-able/unlockable and well-supported by the community. Thanks!

- E

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
Hey guys, please recommend any good tablet that meets these conditions:
- Normal Android OS, that's compatible with Play Store (no weird MIUI type stuff)
- OTG compatible (so I can connect my peripherals like memory sticks etc.)
- Biggest screen possible - with best picture quality (will be used for reading comics, youtube, netflix, & movie 1080p MKV playback)

Hello. I am running Asus Transformer Prime (Tf201), with custom ROM Katkiss Marshmallow. Runs very decent, considering is a 7 years tablet. It has 10 inch screen, overclocked at 1.6 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, technically it should support 512 GB of storage (2 micro SD cards slots - one for the dock), it also has a micro HDMI and a 2.0 USB. If you wanna buy something similar but more powerful a bit, try to see if you can find Asus Transformer 701t. Same specs, higher clock speed, 2 GB of RAM.

Note : haven't tried with 256 GB micro SD card, since I don't have those around. But tried with 2 different SD cards, and the tablet reads them both. So no worries about it.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

I'm running a Nexus 5X 16gb right now and i'm in the market for a new phone that have better camera, faster cpu/gpu, more ram, but it may not cost more than 440USD/390EUR/4000SEK. And LG is something i don't want again, because of all hardware problems i have been having with 3 LG's

I want the phone the be about 6". If there is no notch it is a big plus. Have at least 64gb storage. Really durable as i have 3 kids that time to time takes it and drops it, and i'm a industrial worker and i don't want the screen to break easily, and the repair here cost almost as much as a new phone. And regularly updates or good and stable custom roms.

Redmi Note 5 Pro 4/64gb
Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64gb
Pocophone F1 6/64gb
Xiaomi Mi A2 4/64gb
Asus Zenfone 5z 6/64gb

You could also try Samsung S7. Good specs, very low price nowadays, it has good community support.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Hi guys,

I'm here because I want to buy a new phone (obviously, lol). My budget is around 300€.

I've watched lots of reviews about phones in my budget-range (so mid-range smartphones), but a question came to my mind: wouldn't be better buying a 2017 top smartphone instead of a decleared mid-range? I was thinking in particular to Sony Xperia XZ Premium (SD 835, 4K Display, Android Pie etc) at 279€ on Amazon.

Is it a good choice or should I buy something newer but on a "lower" level in terms of hardware?

Hope someone will ask. Thanks in advance to everyone

I would even suggest Samsung S7. It has good specs, good community support, Samsung still supports S7, cheap nowadays

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico2416

Polarix

Jun 24, 2018
Looking for phone suggestions at around $300 (US) coming from an old Lenovo Vibe P1. Currently looking for something that can last me at least 2 years. I'm currently looking at the Honor Play, Zenfone Max Pro M2, and the Honor 8X.

My options are quite limited since amazon is not an option in where I live so I will depend on retail stores.

Note: I'm not really aiming to root my phone at some point, and Xiaomi phones are avoided since they are inserting ads in their MIUI.

CamoGeko

Forum Moderator
Staff member

Redmi Note 5 Pro 4/64gb
Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64gb
Pocophone F1 6/64gb
Xiaomi Mi A2 4/64gb
Asus Zenfone 5z 6/64gb

Maybe something like a Samsung S8, or indeed the Poco F1.

Hey folks -

I'm also looking for a new phone. I have an Nexus 5 now and have used almost the entire Nexus line in the past (I was very sad when they were discontinued :crying: ). Recently I got a Huawei Honor View 10 from a black friday sale and was quite disappointed by their anti-consumer practice of not unlocking bootloaders and also by the lack of developer support that naturally follows such a policy. In short, I would like recommendations on phones which are similar to the View 10 (hardware-wise I liked it) but are easily mod-able/unlockable and well-supported by the community. Thanks!

- E

OnePlus 5 or 5T (if you dont want 16:9) is pretty similar to a Nexus experience. Lots of ROMs and easy to mod.

Looking for phone suggestions at around $300 (US) coming from an old Lenovo Vibe P1. Currently looking for something that can last me at least 2 years. I'm currently looking at the Honor Play, Zenfone Max Pro M2, and the Honor 8X.

My options are quite limited since amazon is not an option in where I live so I will depend on retail stores.

Note: I'm not really aiming to root my phone at some point, and Xiaomi phones are avoided since they are inserting ads in their MIUI.

Ads and all the Chinese bloat can be removed simply by rooting and flashing a custom ROM.

VaktBleppe

Jun 1, 2010
Maybe something like a Samsung S8, or indeed the Poco F1.

OnePlus 5 or 5T (if you dont want 16:9) is pretty similar to a Nexus experience. Lots of ROMs and easy to mod.

Ads and all the Chinese bloat can be removed simply by rooting and flashing a custom ROM.

The main negative thing I have heard about the Pocophone is that the screen seems to very fragile, and that does not really work for me. And OnePlus is not really an option, almost 600usd for a 5t here. They actually go for the same price as 6t. And used phone is something I don't want to try.

Nico2416

Sep 9, 2018
Hello. I am running Asus Transformer Prime (Tf201), with custom ROM Katkiss Marshmallow. Runs very decent, considering is a 7 years tablet. It has 10 inch screen, overclocked at 1.6 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, technically it should support 512 GB of storage (2 micro SD cards slots - one for the dock), it also has a micro HDMI and a 2.0 USB. If you wanna buy something similar but more powerful a bit, try to see if you can find Asus Transformer 701t. Same specs, higher clock speed, 2 GB of RAM.

Note : haven't tried with 256 GB micro SD card, since I don't have those around. But tried with 2 different SD cards, and the tablet reads them both. So no worries about it.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

You could also try Samsung S7. Good specs, very low price nowadays, it has good community support.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

I would even suggest Samsung S7. It has good specs, good community support, Samsung still supports S7, cheap nowadays
I tought about it but I do not put so much trust in Samsung (in particular for the software side of their products) and S7 is now a bit too old imho.

I was looking for a durable and complete phone and because of this I tought that the XZ Premium could have been a good solution at that price, basically for the powerful SoC and for the Display, instead of one of the classical Xiaomi's best buys.

I also looked into some Huawei/Honor (Honor 10 seems to be the best) but - since I'm coming from 4 years of mid-range Huaweis - I know for sure that I will experience the same troubles I had with the P10 Lite I have now (slow as hell, lags, reboots) and that I will not be able to fix them with a ROM because of their crazy policy. But tell me if I'm wrong.

The best choice would be a OnePlus (I always loved them) but it's a bit out of budget (about 100€ more).

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Jim Ford

Aug 24, 2018
Thanks for the reply.

The Oneplus 5 is probably twice as much as I'm prepared to spend! I'm looking at spending about £100 for a capable phone that's not being kept updated by the manufacturers, but is by hobbyists creating alternative ROMs eg. AOSPExtended or Lineage.

Anyone have opinions on the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4?

Jim

Swen83

Nov 27, 2016
Hello friends... What you think between pocophone - 280€, oneplus 6, 6gb - 420€, 6t, 6gb - 540€, 6t, 8gb - 580€. Al phones are new and whit one year warranty. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

And pixel 2 xl - 430€ also new

Nico2416

Sep 9, 2018
Hello friends... What you think between pocophone - 280€, oneplus 6, 6gb - 420€, 6t, 6gb - 540€, 6t, 8gb - 580€. Al phones are new and whit one year warranty. Thanks

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

And pixel 2 xl - 430€ also new
If you don't have budget-problems I'd go for the OnePlus 6T (or 6, if you want to save something) without doubts

Reactions: Swen83

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think the battery on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro is going the way of the Dodo but I'm yet not decided on buying a new phone.

If I'm to upgrade my phone, my two main things are camera and battery life. Regrading cameras, what would be the best phone right now? And I mean picture magic with all the stuff the Mate 20 Pro did to a point a shoot picture and it's AI.

From googling this I come up with plenty of candidates but they are usually ranked by "best natural pictures" and that's not really what I think I'm after.

Oppo x3 Pro and Xiaomi 11 Ultra sound like good candidates, I'm not sure about the "magic" on the Galaxy s21 Ultra or Iphone 12/13, these last seem to go for realistic pictures.
    you could also look for gcam. some gcam ports have more contrast and saturation than others. if gcam will fit the bill, then any phone is OK. battery isn't that important nowadays, 4500 is enough.
    I have only ever used Samsung Galaxy series (S3, S5, S7), and usually buy my phones in Europe or Asia and needs the phone to work internationally.

Strictly essential features:

- Needs to be reasonably easily rootable, and come with any features to make that happen (e.g. easily unlockable bootloader etc.). This is the main reason I am looking away from Samsung phones.

- MicroSD card

Very highly desirable feature (I would put it in the absolutely needed if it didn't narrow my options too much):

- IP rating (I use my phones in very wet and cold places - I can seal it in a waterproof bag, but it would be better if I didn't have to)

- Headphone jack

- Large battery capacity

Desirable feature (that I know those are uncommon so I can sacrifice it):

- Two SIM cards slot (on top of the MicroSD.. not that hybrid stuff)

- Removable battery (yeah, a relic of the past - but one can dream)

- Affordable (not looking for flagship kind of phone)

- Screen that isn't massive (e.g. >6.1")

What I do not care about:

- Glass constructions

- Camera quality

- Flagship performance

- Generally speaking anything that isn't mentioned in the previous categories. OS wise, I am not too bothered as long as it isn't ancient.

Even if the phone ideal phone I want doesn't exist, if I'd like to know any company that make phones that at least has the "strictly essential features". If Samsung has many phones that tick quite a few of features that I value, but they aren't as root friendly as I would like.
    The Redmi Note 10 Pro checks most of the boxes:

easy to root (you have to wait 15 days after you bought it)
    dedicated Micro SD
    dual sim
    headphone jack
    IP53
    Affordable - 250€
    huge battery 5020mah

but screen is 6,67" and IP53 means its only lightly waterproof - rain is fine but putting it underwater is not

Since it is a china phone and got launched in the EU it will work basically everywhere.

edit:
    The Oukitel WP series might also be interesting. They are special outdoor phones that should check many of your needs, and they got a battery up to 10.000 mAh. However i do not know how easy they are to root/how well they are supported by the community
    Hi, everyone!

My phone of 3 years (Samsung Galaxy J4+) recently bricked after I accidentally dropped it into a pool, and now I have to look for a replacement.

I'm not that well informed about the smartphone tech, and I don't follow any news regarding the advancements in this industry so I would appreciate it if somebody would be willing to give me some suggestions on my next purchase. Here are my requirements:

BUDGET: €300 (I'm willing to increase this by around €50 as long as the improvements are worth it)

Things that I'm looking for in a new phone are:
    • Battery capacity
    • Durability (that is, able to last as long as possible without needing to be replaced like in 1 or 2 years)
    • Storage space (32GB or higher)
    • Resolution (720p or higher)
    • Size (less than 7")
    RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. is not so much important to me as long as the phone has a decent chip and is not slow, so anything along the J4+ specs or better would be good enough for me.

Things that I don't care much about are:
    • Camera quality - Not a big camera user, and on the rare occasion where I do take a picture or record a video, I would just like that the picture/video quality does not look like garbage, otherwise I don't mind making sacrifices here
    • Fingerprint sensors
    • NFC, Infrared, Radio, etc.
    • Waterproofing, Dustproofing, etc. - While nice to have, it's not really something that I would be willing to pay a premium for
    • 5G - There's no infrastructure for it in my country right now (Serbia), and besides, I don't care about that sort of thing. The only use that I need from it is when I need to enable data for the internet because I cannot find a Wi-Fi to connect to, which I believe 4G is good enough for this

My usage on the phone is pretty casual. Aside from the couple of calls I make and the texts I send, I mostly spend my time web browsing or watching YouTube videos. I don't play video games, aside from something small like Minesweeper to pass the time while I'm in a waiting room. I don't listen to music frequently, and when I do, it's mostly via speakers, so a headphone jack is optional.

Searching the net, these are the phones that I found:
    • Poco F3 - €305
    • Poco X3 Pro - €185
    • Samsung Galaxy A51 - €193
    • Samsung Galaxy A52 - €340
    • Samsung Galaxy A72 - €331
    • OnePlus Nord - €193
    • Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G - €222
    • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro - €176
    • Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 5G - €125
    • Xiaomi Mi 9T - €83
    • Huawei P40 Lite - €115

Out of all of these, which one do you think is best? I feel like all these phones on the list fit the criteria of what I'm looking for, so I don't know if I should just go with the one that's cheapest and save money since my use case is so minimal, or go with the more expensive variants to ensure that the hardware improvement will mean better futureproofing?

Nonetheless, if you have a better suggestion from what I've found, please feel free to share it.

Thanks in forward!
    Poco X3 Pro is what attracts me. Personally, I would have gone for OnePlus Nord but I hear it has no custom roms. Samsung is again another problematic and over-expensive vendor so a no-no for me. Huawei is winding down in support due to restrictions from USA. That leaves Poco, Redmi and Mi.

So now, I need a 3.5 jack and a good battery. I fscking hate its look, but I would anyway put a cover on it so...

EDIT: Nord actually has a lot of custom from support. But Nord 2 doesn't.
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)