• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

jacopastorius

Jan 10, 2008
hi guys. At the moment i have a s6 rooted and being really satisfied with it but i need a bigger display. I was wondering what could be a nice substitute. What i need is:
1. double tap to wake or wake with just fingerprints
2. tap to sleep to be configured in someway
3. display 6 - 6.2"
4. usb type c
5. at least 4gb ram
6. max 250 euros

I do not care about notch. Do you think with s8 plus (used) i go for a secure buy or can you suggest something alternative?

DexterRufer

Dec 20, 2018
It's worth buying a LG V20/V30 used on eBay?

Hi people, i want to buy a LG V20 or V30 (i am not decided yet) but because my budget i think buying it used on eBay, do you think it's worth it buying it used or not? i don't care really about scratches and things like that, i am only worried about the durability and functionality of the phone. What do you think? Thank you :)

eriol1

Feb 16, 2015
Hi people, i want to buy a LG V20 or V30 (i am not decided yet) but because my budget i think buying it used on eBay, do you think it's worth it buying it used or not? i don't care really about scratches and things like that, i am only worried about the durability and functionality of the phone. What do you think? Thank you :)
V20 might be susceptible to the lg bootloop issue, I wouldn't recommend buying it used with no warranty. They tend to die suddenly when they're a little over a year old. Doesn't happen a lot, but it happens enough to be a real problem.
The V30 might have the same problem, but there's not enough data yet to say anything concrete.

phazer11

Aug 22, 2012
As I mentioned in my earlier post my LG G3 is no longer usuable. I was hopeing to wait to upgrade until 802.11ax or other energy efficiency improvements had been included in phones but it looks like that is not an option.

I would like to avoid spending more than $600 USD preferrably less though. I'm on AT&T and a Pixel 3 or S9 are looking like the best options with a OnePlus 6T and the XL versions of the Pixel and S9 being considered. Though I'd probably take a Pixel or Pixel 2 if I could find one new.

I like taking pictures and video and for that, the Pixel sounds like it is the better experience, as well as the fact I dislike bloat quite a lot; my favorite Linux distributions are Arch and Gentoo if that helps you any.

Also, I do a LOT of audio recording so any phones with exceptionally good exterior recordiing microphones would be welcomed as well.
Bump

MathGuy284

Dec 31, 2018
I'm looking to buy a relatively cheap used phone ($200 max) that I can root and put custom ROMs on. I'm in the US and using Sprint. I was thinking the LG G6? If you have other suggestions please recommend! :)

phazer11

Aug 22, 2012
I'm trying to decide between a few phones. A good camera and external microphone (though ao long as there is the ability to hook up an external microphone for video or audio recording that works as well) are pretty important. UI and updates are too. I would prefer a leaner, cleaner experience. I am not oposed to slightly older models like the Pixel 2. My current eyeballs are the Pixel 3 followed by the Oneplus 6T. Other options include the S9 and as before one of the Pixel 2 models, an LG V35 or V40.

Raresh T

Jul 14, 2014
hi guys. At the moment i have a s6 rooted and being really satisfied with it but i need a bigger display. I was wondering what could be a nice substitute. What i need is:
1. double tap to wake or wake with just fingerprints
2. tap to sleep to be configured in someway
3. display 6 - 6.2"
4. usb type c
5. at least 4gb ram
6. max 250 euros

I do not care about notch. Do you think with s8 plus (used) i go for a secure buy or can you suggest something alternative?

Wait a bit, for S10 to launch. And maybe you can land an S9 plus

Feb 8, 2019
Hello sirs!

You all are great Im a big fan of the community and what you do. I need a sprint phone to take advantage of the year of free service they are offering. I am a privacy guy and have not had cell service for over a year but the free price tag has me coming back. Ive often said that with all the money the cell carriers make selling off our private data they could at least give us the service for free. Well it seems sprint was monitoring that conversation because theyve decided to do just that. So what the hell Ill give it a go.

This is my ideal list of features in order of importance. I am prepared to be disappointed but please do your best. :good:

1. Heavy community support making it easy to install and maintain an open source/no spyware Kernel/OS
2. Removable battery
3. No front facing camera
4. Love to spend $100 but up to $250 is acceptable
5. No GPS
6. No internal microphones (plugin mic only)
7. Whatd I miss? No fingerprint/Retinal scan/Blood test/Anal plug/DNA collection "features" either please.

Brand name/cool factor mean less than nothing. I am after privacy and value and I realize thats like wanting ice cream without getting fat, I do. I also know I am a dirty dinosaur but please humour me as much as possible.

Thank you all.

BUMP. Does nobody but noobies post in this forum? I havent seen any answers in here for a while, just questions and more questions. I am starting to feel like this forum thread is just a garbage pail to keep us noobies from contaminating the rest of the forum with our questions. Which is fine as long as somebody answers us. Is somebody going to answer us?

eriol1

Feb 16, 2015
BUMP. Does nobody but noobies post in this forum? I havent seen any answers in here for a while, just questions and more questions. I am starting to feel like this forum thread is just a garbage pail to keep us noobies from contaminating the rest of the forum with our questions. Which is fine as long as somebody answers us. Is somebody going to answer us?
This forum has nothing to do with being new.
Someone could be posting for the first time on xda and yet he may have years of experience with a certain phone.
That's what this forum is. A place to find someone experienced in the class of phones you're interested in.

If someone reads your post and happens to know something useful, they'll probably share their knowledge. If they don't, they're not going to do your research for you.

In your case I'm not surprised there were no answers.
Finding a phone with no internal microphone seems impossible, to me at least, which is why I didn't answer.
There may be a phone like that out there, but you probably know more than most about that type of thing.

I myself haven't been answering much lately because I haven't had a good look at phones since buying one 2 years ago, so I don't have much to offer.

HugoPolymorph

Feb 13, 2019
Hello,

I'm looking for a device under 120€/135$ which can be rooted and with a fastboot that would run the command:
Code:
fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0

I tried Huawei but since they stopped unlocking bootloaders it won't accept the fastboot command.
I tried Xiaomi but the wait time to unlock the bootloader is impractical and it does not run the fastboot command anyway.
I like Lenovo Moto a lot but devices in our price range might not be bootloader unlockable.

Does anyone know a phone that's cheap enough and can be rooted and bootloader unlocked (so it can boot on charge when off)?

Thanks for your help!

SunilSuni

Jul 5, 2017
Bengaluru
Hello,

I'm looking for a device under 120€/135$ which can be rooted and with a fastboot that would run the command:
Code:
fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0

I tried Huawei but since they stopped unlocking bootloaders it won't accept the fastboot command.
I tried Xiaomi but the wait time to unlock the bootloader is impractical and it does not run the fastboot command anyway.
I like Lenovo Moto a lot but devices in our price range might not be bootloader unlockable.

Does anyone know a phone that's cheap enough and can be rooted and bootloader unlocked (so it can boot on charge when off)?

Thanks for your help!

You can check Xiaomi's android one phone, android one phone can be unlockable with a simple command fastboot oem unlock
Mi A2
Mi A2 Lite
Mi A1 (Too old to consider)

All motorolo phones can be unlockable with a unlock codes (you need to get unlock code from Motorola website)

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I've never heard of a phone that meets your criteria. Those are almost all standard smartphone features and have been for a long time. Maybe you could find an older phone that has no fingerprint sensor and has a broken microphone and broken GPS?

But to answer your second question I post answers here occasionally but I'm not the best person for recommendations most of the time because I'm not in the market for a phone for a while and I only out of curiosity look up reviews on the phones that I think would suit me and my budget when it's time to upgrade eventually.

Also a lot of people post with a budget in another countries currency and I don't know that currency or what phones are even available there.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Sorry that was supposed to be a quote to kristofthewise. I also didn't realize there was several more posts after his when I started typing mine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

phaleg

Jul 20, 2012
Velletri, RM
bit.ly
Android phone with this features

Hi everybody,

I recently changed my Nexus 5x for a Honor 10, but I am not satisfied because it is super long and narrow, they call 19:9 and it comes with customization and additional UI with not so vibrant community about custom ROMs either, because of longer process to unlock, root and so on. Now that I explained the background, I can formulate my question.

Would you advise for an android device with the following features, or at least the most of them
* relevant, ** very relevant *** top importance

Android One (or easy to put custom roms) ***
Squared shape (like 16:9 or anyway not too long and narrow) **
Screen > 5.5" **
2018 or newer **
Decent battery life **

About price and availability, I am in Europe now.
For price, I am open considering that performance is not a top priority for me.
If it's coming next, I can also wait for a new device to be available.

Less relevant, but nice add ons are:
Waterproof * / Cameras * / SD * / performance (I don't expect the best, but at least good worth the penny)

go vegan

Aug 22, 2017
My Xiaomi Redmi 5A is dead/dying. I've been overall happy with it running crDroid.

Requirements for new phone:
* Cheap
* Can be rooted without too much hassle
* Same or better hardware specs/performance
* Similar size/shape

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Fatal_Scythe

Jan 4, 2018
Saarland
Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite
Hey guys!
So it looks like my Xperia M2 Aqua is about to reach it's limit after about 2,5 Years of usage, and since it sometimes gets so slow that even normal apps like Instagram or Whatsapp are causing the phone to completely freeze, I'd like to get an upgrade :)

For now, I'm looking at buying either:
• The Samsung Galaxy J4+
• The Samsung Galaxy J6+

My Budget is between 200-280€ btw, but right now both of those phones got an price cut to 160€ so I can't quite decide which one to get :D

I'm open for other phone recommendations that are at my Budget though :)

Amirk365

Jul 20, 2016
Fort Wellington
Hey guys!
So it looks like my Xperia M2 Aqua is about to reach it's limit after about 2,5 Years of usage, and since it sometimes gets so slow that even normal apps like Instagram or Whatsapp are causing the phone to completely freeze, I'd like to get an upgrade :)

For now, I'm looking at buying either:
• The Samsung Galaxy J4+
• The Samsung Galaxy J6+

My Budget is between 200-280€ btw, but right now both of those phones got an price cut to 160€ so I can't quite decide which one to get :D

I'm open for other phone recommendations that are at my Budget though :)
You can consider much better phones than those bro. Such as the Mi A2, Nokia 6.1 Plus etc.

Nico2416

Sep 9, 2018
Hi everybody,

I recently changed my Nexus 5x for a Honor 10, but I am not satisfied because it is super long and narrow, they call 19:9 and it comes with customization and additional UI with not so vibrant community about custom ROMs either, because of longer process to unlock, root and so on. Now that I explained the background, I can formulate my question.

Would you advise for an android device with the following features, or at least the most of them
* relevant, ** very relevant *** top importance

Android One (or easy to put custom roms) ***
Squared shape (like 16:9 or anyway not too long and narrow) **
Screen > 5.5" **
2018 or newer **
Decent battery life **

About price and availability, I am in Europe now.
For price, I am open considering that performance is not a top priority for me.
If it's coming next, I can also wait for a new device to be available.

Less relevant, but nice add ons are:
Waterproof * / Cameras * / SD * / performance (I don't expect the best, but at least good worth the penny)
Try to give a look at the Redmi Note 5 Pro, it's cheap, it's probably the best ROM-phone and it has a good hardware overall.
If you have an higer budget go for OnePlus phones

Reactions: pawwaap and phaleg

arko15

Feb 20, 2019
Nokia 7.1 or Motorola G6plus?

Hey
I can buy one of these phones used 1-2 months for similar good prcice. And I have dilema.
The most important for me is camera(quality in night condition also matters) - I have no idea which one is better in this field.

Also I pay attention to screen and design - I guess in this regards Nokia win. However I have some doubts about 3gb ram in Nokia, it seems too little, but maybe its enough because of pure android?

I have also option to buy LG G6 but for similar price, but it would be used about 12months.
What do you think?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a recommendation for an Android tablet. I don't have a strict budget; $3-400 would be fine, I could probably swing $5-600 if there was a good argument for it.

Things I *really* want include
    * easy to root
    * at least one "big" core (e.g. a Cortex A72, *not* something with only cortex A53's or A55's)
    * at least 4GB ram, preferably more
    * microSD slot

Nice to have's:
    * fully unlock-able bootloader
    * video out over USB-C
    * decent gaming and emulation performance

I don't really care that much about the screen size, 8-10" would be great, bigger would probably be fine too.
    Well, tablets with Android aren't that good compared to smartphones. usually tablets do come with weaker specs because buyers aren't that interested in. I would suggest the xiaomi mi pad 5, launches at the end of July. most likely will be over 600, but xiaomi does deliver and the tablet most likely would be compared to the iPad in terms of performance.
    Another vote for the oneplus 8t, especially since it doesn't cost as much due to the oneplus 9 being out.
    Planning to buy Poco GT X3 but not sure that will I get any custom roms for it because of its processor ie Dimensity 1200 which is made by Mediatek. Should I buy it or not custom roms are must for me. Any help will be appreciated....
    This is not an issue of concern any more because Mediatek has offered open resource structure for all the 5G chipsets now. So you can go for it.
    Is it bro!! thank you for the information...... Definately will buy that beast.......
    Yeah, now you can flash custom ROMs on all Mediatek 5G chipsets without any issues. Even the heat optimization in DImensity 1200 is quite good.
    Hi guys. I'm wanting to know something: what is a good, relatively current phone that still has an SD card slot and a microphone jack?

I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus. I love it, it's probably the best Android device I've ever used, but the battery is draining from 100 percent to 80 within a couple of hours now just doing normal tasks, and I have a strong feeling that the battery just isn't going to last much longer. I am planning on replacing the battery whenever that happens, but I have never been good at taking things apart and putting them back together, especially things with small component parts (I have bad myopia and my hands shake). So, I need to have a backup plan in case i screw it up.

I should get this out of the way first: I am never, ever going to use a smartphone without both a micro SD card slot and a headphone jack. Cloud storage, in my own opinion, is a complete joke as well as a swindle, since you have to continously keep paying for the service or they delete your stuff, and there's no privacy involved. I realize that not everyone agrees with me on that, but no matter what everyone else thinks I will just never feel comfortable doing it except in very sparing amounts (such as storing an mp3 or wallpaper on a service like gdrive). As for the headphone jack, the price of wireless earbuds can be exorbitant, and its just not worth the price to me. Add in the fact that the removal of SD slots and headphone jacks blatantly seem designed by phone manufacturers to strong-arm consumers into signing up for cloud storage services and high priced wireless earbuds, and the whole issue has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding phone manufacturers, and it has also made me cynically look at companies that I once enjoyed the products of, such as Samsung, in a negative light.

So, with that out of the way, I will be in the market for an updated replacement for my S9 Plus soon. I'm not one to buy the newest flagship phones, since money is an issue and I don't need to have the newest version of Android, but I would like to get a phone that will stay relevant (even if its not cutting edge) for at least 2 or 3 years before it becomes totally outdated and obsolete, plus I need the aforementioned SD card slot and headphone jack. Could someone please give me some examples of a good phone to buy thst matches those specifications? Thank you in advance to all who cam help.

As an aside, I am a total and complete newbie to rooting and phone hacking, but when I do get the replacement phone and everything on the D9 Plus gets moved over to it, I am looking forward to installing LegacyOS on the S9 Plus. I just hope that I don't brick it, since this phone has been awesome :)
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)