**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Yittrium

Nov 11, 2019
I've been using my moto g5s for past couple of years and have been quite satified with it, but the only the problem is that it's wifi range is horrendous so I was thinking of buying a new phone.
My only requirements are that it should have an easily unlockable bootloader and have at least 4GB of RAM. Also my budget is between ₹10,000 to ₹15,000. Thanks in advance.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
I've been using my moto g5s for past couple of years and have been quite satified with it, but the only the problem is that it's wifi range is horrendous so I was thinking of buying a new phone.
My only requirements are that it should have an easily unlockable bootloader and have at least 4GB of RAM. Also my budget is between ₹10,000 to ₹15,000. Thanks in advance.
You could go with Redmi note 9 pro max. A bit over your budget, but not by much.

Yittrium

Nov 11, 2019
You could go with Redmi note 9 pro max. A bit over your budget, but not by much.
Oh I also forgot to mention, I would prefer if the phone wasn't from a chinese company, but if there are no other alternatives I don't mind.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Oh I also forgot to mention, I would prefer if the phone wasn't from a chinese company, but if there are no other alternatives I don't mind.
Chinese or not, xiaomi is the one that has the best ratio quality-price out there. You could even say that xiaomi is what oneplus used to be.

Yittrium

Nov 11, 2019
Chinese or not, xiaomi is the one that has the best ratio quality-price out there. You could even say that xiaomi is what oneplus used to be.
Problem is, I hate MIUI with a passion, and unlocking them requires an account. I would rather not give them my email or number but, like I said, if I can't find anything else I'll get a Xiaomi.

Spin_Dr_Wolf

Aug 14, 2019
Hi all, I'm busy debating what to get next. I currently have a S9 which I've pretty much had since release and have been pretty happy with overall but am replacing as the battery is starting to show its age.

I'm not sure what to go onto though, I have been thinking about the S21 Ultra as there seem to be some great cameras available, I am lucky enough to be able to afford it especially trading in and the preorder ear buds are nice, but it still seems somewhat exorbitant priced for a phone, and bigger than i would like. I liked the look of the Experia 5II a lot though there is no AF of any variety on the selfie camera which i am using a lot more than historically due to a new baby, so will be needed a lot more in the upcoming months.

The specs I want are :
Decent camera with autofocus front and back, low light and video performance both important. Telephotos would be a nice bonus.
5g preferable for future proofing.
Ideally a SD card slot.
IP68 rating.

Are there any other options that i am missing ? Everything else i find seems to be missing the Autofocus on the selfie cam, or not really providing much more over my existing S9.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi all, I'm busy debating what to get next. I currently have a S9 which I've pretty much had since release and have been pretty happy with overall but am replacing as the battery is starting to show its age.

I'm not sure what to go onto though, I have been thinking about the S21 Ultra as there seem to be some great cameras available, I am lucky enough to be able to afford it especially trading in and the preorder ear buds are nice, but it still seems somewhat exorbitant priced for a phone, and bigger than i would like. I liked the look of the Experia 5II a lot though there is no AF of any variety on the selfie camera which i am using a lot more than historically due to a new baby, so will be needed a lot more in the upcoming months.

The specs I want are :
Decent camera with autofocus front and back, low light and video performance both important. Telephotos would be a nice bonus.
5g preferable for future proofing.
Ideally a SD card slot.
IP68 rating.

Are there any other options that i am missing ? Everything else i find seems to be missing the Autofocus on the selfie cam, or not really providing much more over my existing S9.
For low light selfie cameras go for iPhone. The 11 Pro seems like the best bet nowadays from Apple. While rear cameras photos on Android are nice, the selfie ones are quite bad. They don't get that much attention.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
da es denn launscher nicht mehr gibt denn ich Jahre hatte. werde ich mal zu iPhone wechseln.
First, use English. Use a translator if you don't know it. There are bigger chances for someone to help you if you write in English rather than German on an English forum like XDA.
Second, what launcher you talking about?

Dracunos

Jan 12, 2014
Hello, I'm looking for an upgrade on TMobile from my current V20. Long battery life, strong specs are important, and easy to root and work with, I use a ton of root apps.

So far I've been suggested the pixel phones, I'm considering buying a pixel 5 from Google (tmobile doesn't sell it), I've heard mention lack of bands or certain support but it seems to work fine for most? And it shouldn't be too much trouble getting a root working on that device on tmobile, is that correct?

It seems pretty cheap, are there any better phones (easy root, good specs, 256+gb, big battery) that would meet my needs if I was willing to spend a lot more? The note 20s looked amazing but I heard bad things about trying to root samsung.

Thanks for your time!

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hello, I'm looking for an upgrade on TMobile from my current V20. Long battery life, strong specs are important, and easy to root and work with, I use a ton of root apps.

So far I've been suggested the pixel phones, I'm considering buying a pixel 5 from Google (tmobile doesn't sell it), I've heard mention lack of bands or certain support but it seems to work fine for most? And it shouldn't be too much trouble getting a root working on that device on tmobile, is that correct?

It seems pretty cheap, are there any better phones (easy root, good specs, 256+gb, big battery) that would meet my needs if I was willing to spend a lot more? The note 20s looked amazing but I heard bad things about trying to root samsung.

Thanks for your time!
Dunno about t mobile, since I live in Europe, but xiaomi mi 11 pro is about to launch in February. If it compatible with t mobile, it's a heck of a phone.

neutrale_puro

Jan 20, 2021
Hi, guys, long time lurker, first time poster.
Currently I have a Huawei P8 Lite with Lineage 14.1, but the poor thing doesn't last enough anymore and also has a broken power button. So I'm looking to replace him, if you can help me once more. Budget is under 300€.

NEED
  • SD Slot
  • Good low light camera
  • Android
  • Hope of Future Updates
Nice to Have
  • Active custom rom community
  • Unlockable bootloader
  • Not Chinese, even better if not made in China (almost impossible, I guess)
Don't Care
  • NFC
  • Fingerprint/FaceID
  • Wireless Charging
  • Multiple Cameras
  • Materials
  • Display
  • Bluetooth

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi, guys, long time lurker, first time poster.
Currently I have a Huawei P8 Lite with Lineage 14.1, but the poor thing doesn't last enough anymore and also has a broken power button. So I'm looking to replace him, if you can help me once more. Budget is under 300€.

NEED
  • SD Slot
  • Good low light camera
  • Android
  • Hope of Future Updates
Nice to Have
  • Active custom rom community
  • Unlockable bootloader
  • Not Chinese, even better if not made in China (almost impossible, I guess)
Don't Care
  • NFC
  • Fingerprint/FaceID
  • Wireless Charging
  • Multiple Cameras
  • Materials
  • Display
  • Bluetooth
You could go with xiaomi poco x3. Don't let it fool you, only their headquarters are in China. All these phones are made in India.

jmsegarra

Apr 5, 2017
Hi, im lucking for a smartphone with very good battery life and good camera and if possible less than 6,5". Im using a mi 5s with LOS atm but i need to change it. Dont care about hz, wireless charge, etc. I dont want to spend more than 600€ if possible.

Thx

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
Hi, im lucking for a smartphone with very good battery life and good camera and if possible less than 6,5". Im using a mi 5s with LOS atm but i need to change it. Dont care about hz, wireless charge, etc. I dont want to spend more than 600€ if possible.

Thx
You could go for either of these
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Google Pixel 4a

Jan 22, 2021
What phone should I buy?

So far I've had very bad experiences with Android and Android wearables. I've used Sony (never again), Motorla (never again) and Huawei (NEVER AGAIN). Is there any good Android phone that receives updates for a longer time? I remember when Stagefright was a thing and I had 10 months old Sony Xperia L and I was eagerly waiting for Android 5 to be released. After I read about Stagefright I started to look forward to security updates and I went to Sony, they told me there's nothing they can do and it's up to Google to release a security update. So I contacted Google and they said they already fixed the issue and I have to contact my phone's manufacturer to find out whether or not I will receive security updates for my Android device. So I contacted Sony again and they obviously didn't care about me and wanted me to leave them alone. After that I purchased an iPhone 5s that received it's latest security update on 14 January 2021.

Is there any manufacturer out there that releases updates for a longer time like Apple? Don't recommend me Pixel because they don't sell it over here. Also, funny thing is that Android phones have worse cameras and are slower even though they have more megapixels and RAM. I also have Motorla e something and it has 2GB of ram and it's slower and freezes more than my old iPhone 5s on 1GB of ram.

Fytdyh

Aug 17, 2015
What phone should I buy?

So far I've had very bad experiences with Android and Android wearables. I've used Sony (never again), Motorla (never again) and Huawei (NEVER AGAIN). Is there any good Android phone that receives updates for a longer time? I remember when Stagefright was a thing and I had 10 months old Sony Xperia L and I was eagerly waiting for Android 5 to be released. After I read about Stagefright I started to look forward to security updates and I went to Sony, they told me there's nothing they can do and it's up to Google to release a security update. So I contacted Google and they said they already fixed the issue and I have to contact my phone's manufacturer to find out whether or not I will receive security updates for my Android device. So I contacted Sony again and they obviously didn't care about me and wanted me to leave them alone. After that I purchased an iPhone 5s that received it's latest security update on 14 January 2021.

Is there any manufacturer out there that releases updates for a longer time like Apple? Don't recommend me Pixel because they don't sell it over here. Also, funny thing is that Android phones have worse cameras and are slower even though they have more megapixels and RAM. I also have Motorla e something and it has 2GB of ram and it's slower and freezes more than my old iPhone 5s on 1GB of ram.
Well, first, android and ios run totally different. Apple makes their own devices, therefore is easier to update and have consistency between updates. Android(gonna say Android, since there are a lot of different companies) runs on a plethora of devices, from 50$ to 1200$, each with their own customization, from different phone makers. That makes updates slower, because everyone needs to change the update to fit their own phone. And I am not talking just about customization. Hardware is also different. In terms of updates, Apple has the lead because they make a lower number of models. Apple releases 2-4 models each year, android releases thousands. Lower numbers of phones = easier to make the update compatible to each phone. Apple only appeals to people which have a lot of money to spend. Android appeals to everyone. There is no iPhone under 300$ in 2020 for example, while on Android there are hundreds. You want updates? Stay on ios. Don't come to the fun (and risky) side.